Getting in Shape

NGISR: I am a horrible houseguest

Morning everyone! Venting here ...

I am a horrible houseguest. I HATE, detest, loathe, despise, am anxiety-ridden over ... staying with other people. Always have been. I was the kid who never went to sleepovers because it meant that I was in someone's house.

Now we're back here, at FFIL's place. I don't sleep and am totally miserable. Now the kids are here too - they were expecting a fun filled week at the lake, but we can't go there until Thursday at the earliest. FI is getting his bike ready for his road trip, and I'm hiding out in the basement. And as uncomfortable as FI is in his father's house, he still doesn't get that my discomfort is worse (and while not entirely unrelated to his, it's much more about me not wanting to stay with other people at all - not specifically his dad.) The only reason we made it to St. John's was because his aunt was working out of town, and we could stay at her house.

I don't even stay with my own parents anymore.

I know I'm being miserable, but I can't help it. 

End of vent. Regular life resumes ..... NOW!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NGISR: I am a horrible houseguest

• Thanks @kwitherington - I don't think we can get out there early. I'm still not sure what the kids and I will be doing when FI and the GM are on their trip - the plan has changed so often. Right now it looks like we will either go camping or take care of one GM's son (the one who has the sick MIL).

I'm a planner, so this is more pee in my cereal.

I don't feel like I need to entertain people, I just feel like I'm intruding on their lives and making them feel like they need to entertain ME. I strive to not be a bother to anyone, at all costs. FI thinks it's ridiculous the lengths I will go to sometimes to avoid bothering people.

But that's who I am.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm with you @jennylee813 - I hate staying with other people! I much prefer being the host in any situation than being hosted. DH and I travel to visit our families on the other side of the state about once a month so I've adjusted to staying with people, but I still don't love it. Nothing feels quite as good as my bed to sleep in, and I hate being thrown so far out of my patterns and habits.

That's all I've got for you unfortunately - I hope the time flies for you!
  • Thanks @entropicbeauty. Glad to know that it isn't just me. I much prefer to host as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • See? You guys get it! It's not difficult to understand, right?

I spent a long time at the grocery store, and will go camping soon - in the rain. Supposed to be nicer tomorrow, so hopefully we will get some hiking in.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I totally get how you feel @jennylee813. I don't like visiting people either because I feel like I'm intruding on their lives. Only exception is when I go to my mom's house. She just treats it like we're home again so doesn't always have to be "on" and entertain us.

When H and I were doing the long distance thing last year, I didn't like visiting him as much as I liked having him visit me. He had roommates so I always felt like I was intruding by being there (actually it was just one roommate that made me feel that way, and she deliberately did so), but still.

Not sure what I can suggest to alleviate that though. Just know you're not alone in this :)
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• Thanks ladies. You always make me feel better!

Off to the wilderness for a few. Will update you all on Friday, when I'm back here again ...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards