Florist
Tuxes
Mother dresses
Flower girl and ring bearer attire
Limo
Favors
Bridal party gifts
Garter, ring bearer pillow

I'm happy the major things are out of the way but I'm also afraid that I'm going to miss some things as I'm taking things easy right now. Am I forgetting anything else? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help me figure out if I'm missing anything

• Guest book
    Programs
    Menus
    Save the Dates
    Thank You Cards for shower and wedding
    Wedding Rings

Just some things off the top of my head.
  • @hunhette came up with all the ones I was thinking of and then some. The only other thing I can think is a marriage license or at least looking up the requirements where you're getting married.
  • @huynhette @tammym1001, thank you ladies! Yes for guest book, thank you cards and rings. The other things we won't be needing. Our officiant can legally marry us and mentioned that we'll just need to go to city hall to get some paperwork, which we can do right before the wedding. I'll just confirm it with him once we're closer to the date. Other than that I can't think of anything else. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You sound like you are on track and have the essentials. The other stuff I can think of is like if you wanted to personalize.

Cake Cutting Set
    Toasting Flutes
    Cake Topper

• @huynhette yes to all 3! Although I think I found a local store that I may purchase them from, I'll still do some searching for other options online :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know you mentioned the DJ but have you also considered the musician/music for the ceremony?
    Hair and makeup?
    Place cards (if doing a seated dinner)?
  • @mmm4763 Yes, the DJ is going to provide the music for the ceremony as well, we just have to either give him suggestions of songs we want or he'll pick them on his own. I also have the trials for hair and makeup set up already. We don't need place cards either. Our venue has a butler that will greet guests at the door and show them to their assigned table via a list we will provide.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • do you need to reserve hotel room blocks for your guests?  Or book a hair/makeup person/team?
  • What about the rehearsal dinner (if you're doing one)? Even if someone else is planning it, it's fun to figure out what you might want to wear. 

Also:

Gifts for your parents (if doing)
    Lingerie
    Decorations (just doing flowers?)
    Card Box
    *********************************************************************************

• Thanks ladies, got it all on my checklist =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The Knot's own checklist is super helpful, I think!  I knocked off everything I didn't plan on doing, and started checking off what I did do.  Since I'm having a 9/2014 wedding, I'm sittin' pretty until spring.  Woo hoo!

Give it a look, I think it's incredibly thorough.  

• A little something naughty and nice for the wedding night maybe?
  • ...you're picking both MOG and MOB dresses? Also, you might want to get on the florist because 7 months is not that far out.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• Ajuliana said:
    ...you're picking both MOG and MOB dresses? Also, you might want to get on the florist because 7 months is not that far out.
    Yeah, I don't quite get this.  The mother's dresses shouldn't be on your list, it should be on theirs!
  • @ajuliana @joane2012 The MOG and MOB dresses are on my list because both moms asked me to go shopping with them. So even though it's not technically on my checklist, they won't purchase the dresses without me. We'll probably make a ladies day out of it =)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tulips29 said:
    @huynhette @tammym1001, thank you ladies! Yes for guest book, thank you cards and rings. The other things we won't be needing. Our officiant can legally marry us and mentioned that we'll just need to go to city hall to get some paperwork, which we can do right before the wedding. I'll just confirm it with him once we're closer to the date. Other than that I can't think of anything else. 
    Definitely confirm that you can do this right before the wedding. We have to have the license in our possession  for 3 days before we can proceed with the ceremony.
  • Marriage license
    Rings
    Hair/Makeup appointments

• Proper/desired spellings for everyone's names. For example, for ceremony seating, does your aunt prefer Susie or Susan?

Anniversary

• This is under LUXURY and you don't have a wedding planner? I'm all in favor of DIY if the budget is under $10,000. But so many things require coordination when your mind should be on enjoying, not organizing. Why do all the work now only to discover that a month before the wedding you really need a wedding planner.

I got married over 20 years ago. I didn't have my own wedding planner. I remember when I stood to walk down the aisle seeing a typo on my name on the program. I used the church's wedding planner for the church stuff. Then at the reception, there were no plates and forks for the cake cutting. I was off in the kitchen yelling at the staff because I used the venue's wedding planner. 

The best thing I remember about my wedding day was telling my bridesmaids NOT to show up as planned to work on last minute favor details because I was going to stay in bed with my fiance. I asked them to do it without me. I'm glad I did because my husband and I didn't get to spend our wedding night together because one of the bridesmaids left in the car that had mine and all the other bridesmaids purses and keys. (This was before cell phones) At the end of the event, my husband was the only person with keys and he had to drive everyone else home.
  • ruthejp13 said:
    This is under LUXURY and you don't have a wedding planner? I'm all in favor of DIY if the budget is under $10,000. But so many things require coordination when your mind should be on enjoying, not organizing. Why do all the work now only to discover that a month before the wedding you really need a wedding planner.

I got married over 20 years ago. I didn't have my own wedding planner. I remember when I stood to walk down the aisle seeing a typo on my name on the program. I used the church's wedding planner for the church stuff. Then at the reception, there were no plates and forks for the cake cutting. I was off in the kitchen yelling at the staff because I used the venue's wedding planner. 

The best thing I remember about my wedding day was telling my bridesmaids NOT to show up as planned to work on last minute favor details because I was going to stay in bed with my fiance. I asked them to do it without me. I'm glad I did because my husband and I didn't get to spend our wedding night together because one of the bridesmaids left in the car that had mine and all the other bridesmaids purses and keys. (This was before cell phones) At the end of the event, my husband was the only person with keys and he had to drive everyone else home.

Got your judgy pants on, dontcha??

Wedding planners are not mandatory for a luxury wedding. Some women are super organized and like to take care of all the details themselves.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • ruthejp13 said:
    This is under LUXURY and you don't have a wedding planner? That's kind of rude.... I'm all in favor of DIY if the budget is under $10,000. But so many things require coordination when your mind should be on enjoying, not organizing. I spent WAY more than $10,000 and did everything myself. No problems or hiccups. Why do all the work now only to discover that a month before the wedding you really need a wedding planner. 

I got married over 20 years ago. I didn't have my own wedding planner. I remember when I stood to walk down the aisle seeing a typo on my name on the program. I used the church's wedding planner for the church stuff. Then at the reception, there were no plates and forks for the cake cutting. I was off in the kitchen yelling at the staff because I used the venue's wedding planner.  This just sounds like crappy vendors and planning combined with little oversight.

The best thing I remember about my wedding day was telling my bridesmaids NOT to show up as planned to work on last minute favor details because I was going to stay in bed with my fiance. I asked them to do it without me. You made your BMs work? BM is a honorary title, they're not supposed to be doing "jobs". You should have had your favors taken care of yourself. I'm glad I did because my husband and I didn't get to spend our wedding night together because one of the bridesmaids left in the car that had mine and all the other bridesmaids purses and keys. (This was before cell phones) At the end of the event, my husband was the only person with keys and he had to drive everyone else home.
    *********************************************************************************

• Um, I had a six figure wedding without a wedding coordinator. I had a day-of coordinator, but felt that planning everything on my own was more my style. I wasn't a DIY bride either. I'm not crafty like that. But, I'd say that my wedding was a perfect as can be and I had amazing day.

• If she has a luxury wedding AND doesn't have a coordinator, pros to her. I wish I was that organized! 

And also luxury doesn't have to do with cost. It's about how you cater to your guests. I'm having a 6 figure wedding but Im also in the second most expensive city to get married in and have over 400 guests. Some couples might spend under $10000 for a super extravagant intimate wedding. It doesn't negate the fact that they went above and beyond for their day. I'm not going to tell a couple that spends less then me that their weddings doesn't qualify. You can do gorgeous weddings on any budget.
  • CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited October 2013
    Well, my wedding is costing a nice sum and I decided against a wedding planner.  I am super organized, know what I want and don't need a middle man between me and my vendors.  Also why pay for something just for the sake of it when you don't need it?  To me, having a luxury wedding doesn't mean just throwing around money for the sake of it.  Spend on what is important to you.  For example, I recently bought my dress and am browsing for accessories.  I refuse to spend $600 on a bridal hair comb just because I can.  On the other hand, I am shelling out a crazy amount for a make up artist because I did a trial with someone more "reasonable" and was not satisfied.  
  • Well, my wedding is costing a nice sum and I decided against a wedding planner.  I am super organized, know what I want and don't need a middle man between me and my vendors.  Also why pay for something just for the sake of it when you don't need it?  To me, having a luxury wedding doesn't mean just throwing around money for the sake of it.  Spend on what is important to you.  For example, I recently bought my dress and am browsing for accessories.  I refuse to spend $600 on a bridal hair comb just because I can.  On the other hand, I am shelling out a crazy amount for a make up artist because I did a trial with someone more "reasonable" and was not satisfied.  

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to highlight sentences on my phone. However, I 100% agree with spending money on what is important to you. I splurged on many things for my first wedding, but refused to spend a lot on flowers. It's just not who I am. For my second wedding, I splurged on my destination and photography, but found a dress I LOVED that was under $500. I actually ended up getting it custom made with really nice silk for even less!!

I always say that in life, being well off doesn't mean someone should throw around their wealth; To me, it just means you have the flexibility to do it where the person sees fit. So, that may mean buying a $20 tote bag at Target and to take on the $20k trip to Tahiti.

• ruthejp13 Well, let me just say without being rude that I don't agree with ANYTHING you wrote! 

I am not going to tell you how much my wedding costs, but it's certainly more than 10K. I don't have a wedding planner and I've been able to do everything myself so far. It's actually not that difficult since I know exactly what I want and don't want. I'm very organized and I was half way done with the planning just a few months into the process.

Also, what worked for you may not work for everyone else. 

Lastly, this post was about anything that was left off the list and not judging others. 

On a side note, how do I change the post to answered?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Tulips29 said:
    ruthejp13 Well, let me just say without being rude that I don't agree with ANYTHING you wrote! 

I am not going to tell you how much my wedding costs, but it's certainly more than 10K. I don't have a wedding planner and I've been able to do everything myself so far. It's actually not that difficult since I know exactly what I want and don't want. I'm very organized and I was half way done with the planning just a few months into the process.

Also, what worked for you may not work for everyone else. 

Lastly, this post was about anything that was left off the list and not judging others. 

On a side note, how do I change the post to answered?
    ^ same here. A wedding planner is definitely an unnecessary cost, not actually sure why people even get them!
  • KatWAG said:
    ruthejp13 said:
    This is under LUXURY and you don't have a wedding planner? I'm all in favor of DIY if the budget is under $10,000. But so many things require coordination when your mind should be on enjoying, not organizing. Why do all the work now only to discover that a month before the wedding you really need a wedding planner.

Got your judgy pants on, dontcha??

Wedding planners are not mandatory for a luxury wedding. Some women are super organized and like to take care of all the details themselves.

What Katwag said.

I only have one because she's a package deal with our venue.  I only have a handful of items left to do, for a June 2014 wedding.  Every single vendor I've dealt with has commented on how organized and prepared I am.  Some of us can do it all, and enjoy the process too.

• Thanks everyone for your comments/opinions/suggestions. I'm fully on board with anything I was forgetting! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards