Honeymoon Discussions

Belize Honeymoon- January/February 2014

We have finally decided on going to Belize for our honeymoon and now we are trying to decide where to stay. I like the idea of staying inland for half of our 10 day honeymoon and on the beach the other half. Any recommendations on great hotels or places to stay away from? We want a mixture of adventure and relaxation. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Re: Belize Honeymoon- January/February 2014

• Belize was our first option for our honeymoon last year - until FIL's boss gave us enough hotel points for a week, so we ended up going to Hawaii instead. We were going to stay at the CavesBranch Lodge for a few days then at the beach for a few days. It looks amazing!
  • We stayed at Black Rock Lodge out in the Cayo-it's eco-friendly, so it's a big more rustic than some people might want, but I thought it was amazing. The food was some of the best food I ever had, the atmosphere is so peaceful, they have a lot of onsite activities (canoeing, tubing, horseback riding, hiking, swimming, etc). It's my favorite place I have ever stayed, and it's pretty inexpensive. If you want a more luxurious, typical HM type place, Chaa Creek is down the road from Black Rock. We canoed down to Chaa Creek and had some food down there-it's a little too fancy for my style, but a lot of people really like it. 

We also stayed out on Ambergris, but I really can't remember the name of the hotel, it was so unmemorable. A note about Ambergris-the beaches are pretty crappy. The reef is so close to the beach that you get a lot of plant life washed up on shore/in the water. Placencia has nicer beaches.

While out in the Cayo we went to ATM cave which is a once in a life time experience-I highly recommend it. We also took a trip into Guatemala to Tikal. Tikal is much more excavated than the Mayan sites in Belize. Other guests who stayed at the Black Rock went to Xunatunich and Caracol-most of the ruins there are buried but they really enjoyed the sites because they were more 'raw', less touristy, and there was virtually no one else there.

• I've only stayed on Ambergis and that was at Victoria House. It's a smaller, lovely hotel and worth looking into if you choose to stay there. I agree with @daria about the beaches.

• Stayed at captain Morgan's on ambergris. Really nice and owned by Americans. I was on a vacation w friends and we got evacuated due to a hurricane and the staff could not have been more helpful. Refunded us everything even though we didn't but weather insurance! Went back again. Think they've expanded since then. Not great for swimming but excellent snorkeling/diving. The place we stayed in jungle has closed.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards