Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

I need a little help pls (or direction) finding this wedding dress

oakley1011oakley1011 member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited November 2013 in Attire & Accessories Forum
Hi all!
I am in need of a little help (probably a miracle is more accurate) or even suggestions on where to look (how to track this dress down). I am looking for a dress from the Oscar De La Renta, 2008/2009 collection (Style Number 82E11).

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/17023/

Re: I need a little help pls (or direction) finding this wedding dress

• Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Have you tried on any dresses yet? You may be able to find something that has a similar feel. Monique Lhuillier has some really cool pieces with three-dimensional lace/applique.
  • Options

This is a long shot, but you might contact the seller to see if she can put you in touch with the buyer.  Given that the listing is pretty old, maybe the buyer is ready to re-sell?

• Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    CMGr said:
    Hi all!
    I am in need of a little help (probably a miracle is more accurate) or even suggestions on where to look (how to track this dress down). I am looking for a very particular dress I saw on Pinterest! I know that sounds crazy (thank you Pinterest). I have checked all the obvious resale sites and have not had any luck. The  dress is from the Oscar De La Renta, 2008/2009 collection (Style Number 82E11).

http://www.preownedweddingdresses.com/dresses/17023/

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on where else to look or who to contact. I would love to find this dress in almost any size. Ideally I would need a 2/4/6 but I'd take the dress up to a size 10 and just have it taken in.

This would be my first wedding but not my first marriage. I got married when I was 20 and was married for a little over 9 years. I think this dress is perfect because it's not super traditional, it's not white (there is a little ivory mixed and it has an ice blue underlining/slip) and I've never seen anything close to it before. I loved it instantly. I didn't have a wedding the first time so this time I want to do everything right (as close to perfect as possible).

Again, I'd appreciate any help and all suggestions. Thank you so much in advance! And congratulations to everyone on your engagements and up coming weddings.
    This is not your first wedding.  It is your second wedding.  You had a wedding when you were 20.  Weddings are when you legally become married.  They have nothing to do with dresses, guests, receptions, etc.  My grandmother had two weddings, first to my Grandfather in a pastor's front parlour, and second to my step-grandfather, in a pastor's office.  Both were elopements, and yes, those are real weddings.  Courthouse ceremonies are real weddings, too.
    Good news is that you can wear the big white dress and veil.  Second marriages are no different, except that you shouldn't wear a blusher style veil that covers your face.  No one "gives you away" at the ceremony because you have been married before, and are an independent woman.  Other than that, feel free to celebrate your new marriage.
    I think enough people have gotten hung up on these semantics long enough. Wedding and marriage are not direct synonyms, one cannot always be used to replace another. While it is true that one of the definitions of wedding is the act of getting married, right after "act" in the definition is "or celebration of." i.e. "The act or celebration of getting married." 

In American culture, it is the "celebration of" that most people mean when they say wedding. She may have gotten married, but she didn't have a celebration, so in her mind, and completely in line with the very definition of the word, she did not have a wedding.

People on this forum need to stop with the 'higher than thou' attitude when it comes to the word "wedding" and recognize that the word connotes a celebration. 

And here is a synonym study if you'd like more information: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/marriage

"Wedding has rather strong emotional, even sentimental, connotations, and suggests the accompanying festivities."
  • Options
    Hi, I'm not sure why you felt the need to reply at all to my post since you didn't have any suggestions related to what the post was for but I wished you hadn't. I never said it was my first marriage; I said it would be my first wedding as in a formal ceremony, for which I wanted at formal gown.

I'm sure your grandmother would agree, if you had nothing nice or productive to say you should have said nothing.

Congratulations on your wedding.
  • Options
    Hi, I'm not sure why you felt the need to reply at all to my post since you didn't have any suggestions related to what the post was for but I wished you hadn't. I never said it was my first marriage; I said it would be my first wedding as in a formal ceremony, for which I wanted at formal gown.

I'm sure your grandmother would agree, if you had nothing nice or productive to say you should have said nothing.

• Options

I have no idea where this came from. It but I on a completely related note, I always thought it was Thumper who said that....

*********************************************************************************

• Options
    You can try these used dress sites:

www.nearlynewlywed.com
    www.preownedweddingdresses.com
    www.tradesy.com
    www.oncewed.com
    www.usedweddingdress.com
    Www.bravobride.com
    Www.ruffledblog.com
    Www.encorebridal.com
    Www.projectwedding.com/classifieds/
    Www.weddingbee.com/classifieds/
    Www.bridepower.com
    Www.bridetobrideboutique.com

Or find a bridal salon that carries that designer and see if they can contact the designer to see if they have any samples available or if they are still able to make it. The dress I really want is a couple years old, but my local salon contacted designer and they are loaning them a sample that they still have so I can try it on and they are still able to make it new for purchase.

Also, to clarify what was said by previous poster, not that it really matters, you DID have a wedding, although it wasn't the big typical celebration. By definition, a "wedding" is the legal process of getting married, whether in a church or courthouse, wearing a white dress or blue jeans, not necessarily the celebration that follows. If you were married, that means you said vows & signed license, and therefore had a "wedding". I have noticed there are some people on here that are very picky about that distinction.

• Options
    Thank you so much for the suggestions. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    Thank you. I wasn't trying to be ugly or rude in return but I felt like the previous post was not necessary. And that she took a lot of time to explain things to me that were irrelevant to my post/request about finding a certain dress. I felt a little judged I guess. Anyhoo, it doesn't matter. I wish her the best and onward.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards