Students
Options

Separate leases end after the wedding

My FH and I are graduating next spring and we want an early Spring wedding to cut down on the price of the reception venues and allow more options for the wedding date. We both have separate leases that end in June but I'm pretty sure we want to get married before either of our leases are up. He lives in a small studio apartment and I am in a house with five other roommates so neither of our places are ideal place to live together. We will also be moving to a different city the same summer for grad school, so we might be in limbo if the leases don't match up exactly.

We have no idea what to do in this situation since there will be so much happening at the same time! There may not be a straight answer here but any suggestions would be so helpful!

Re: Separate leases end after the wedding

• Options
    shairush said:
    My FH and I are graduating next spring and we want an early Spring wedding to cut down on the price of the reception venues and allow more options for the wedding date. We both have separate leases that end in June but I'm pretty sure we want to get married before either of our leases are up. He lives in a small studio apartment and I am in a house with five other roommates so neither of our places are ideal place to live together. We will also be moving to a different city the same summer for grad school, so we might be in limbo if the leases don't match up exactly.

We have no idea what to do in this situation since there will be so much happening at the same time! There may not be a straight answer here but any suggestions would be so helpful!

talk to your landlords and see if there is a way to end your leases early.  otherwise, I would temporarily move in to the studio with him and make sure you have enough money to pay for the remainder or your lease, or see if you can sublet your room. 
  • Options
    I am in an incredibly similar situation and I don't really have an answer for you, but it might be worth seeing which is the worst option financially and going with another one.
  • Options
    Talk to your landlord about ending the lease or subletting. Maybe a summer sublet if you live around a college? I wouldn't just break my lease, depending on the company they can file an eviction on your credit report which makes going to find a new place difficult (and you don't want to start off with bad marks against you!!)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone! I think we'll go ahead and move into his place and find someone to hopefully sublet from me. If all else fails we might just have to move the date of the wedding!
  • Options
    You don't actually have to move your wedding date if you can't get the lease broken or the places sublet. You have the budget to pay for both places now, so you can still get married and continue to do so. You can have your awesome spring wedding no matter what. What would be the worst that happens, you still have both places? You will likely end up staying at his place most nights, maybe you wont spend a night or two together if you need to hole up and study for a big test. It could also help with the space issue. You wont need to move all your stuff over right away. You can then just wait to find your perfect place together once you move for grad school. None of this will make you any less married.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards