Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Invitation Etiquette

A girlfriend I have known since 3rd grade invited my boyfriend (of four years) to her wedding but not me. We had a falling out about a year ago. The invite came with just his name on it and no +1. I found it extremely rude, I think she should have either invited both of us or neither of us. Her fiance and my boyfriend are peripheral friends, they sometimes play golf in the same circle. But definitely not close friends in any respect. Wondering about an outside perspective? My friends of course think she's being petty and rude. Neither of us will be attending.  

Re: Invitation Etiquette

• Options
    I think your boyfriend needs to contact her and ask if he can bring you and then decide whether or not he wants to attend after that.  It may have been an oversight...or she may be rude. :)
  • Options
    amberino7amberino7 member
    First Comment
    edited August 2013
  • Options
    Unfortunately it wasn't an oversight, her sister is my best friend, so i asked. Thank you for the input:)
  • Options
    It's up to your boyfriend, but I'd certainly decline...and I'd put why on the RSVP card.
  • Options
    She's in the wrong. Sounds like she did it on purpose to be spiteful. Just decline

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

• Options
    Adults should be invited with their SO, so she is in the wrong. Your boyfriend may want to decline the invitation.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    She's wrong and I'm glad your boyfriend will be declining.  If you and her are not friends anymore and he is not particularly close with the guy, then this seems like a no-brainer.  Decline and move on.

And yes, that move certainly comes off as spiteful.  Boo. Hiss.
  • Options
    TheVirginiansTheVirginians member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited August 2013
    This couple is extremely rude. You are lucky that your BF will support you and decline the invitation. If I were your BF, I would rethink my friendship with his being so rude to my SO.
  • Options
    wow, thank you for the input. I was worried I was expecting too much of him, but it sounds like everyone agrees it's appropriate for him not to go.
  • Options
    Agree with the OPs that your boyfriend should decline. And I'd skip putting anything on the RSVP as to why - simply check the "declines with regret" box. Don't give her the satisfaction of knowing her slight was even noticed for a second. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards