Military Brides

Military Unity Ideas

Hello everyone!

I've been snooping on this board for a while (collecting all kinds of amazing ideas!) and this is my first board post, so i should probably give a brief bio over myself:

I am getting married to the most wonderful soldier (Army) that there is in just over one year (September 27, 2014)! I know I have quite a bit of time left, but it doesn't hurt to start getting information ahead of time :)

I was wondering if anyone has done a unity ceremony that incorporates the military in any way? My FI and I have decided that we do not like the sand or candle ceremony, and I have been toying around with the idea of the Knot Tying ceremony as well, but we have never seen one actually done and are afraid that it may not go any smoothly as we'd like. While we aren't having an official military wedding, we are incorporating many things into the ceremony, such as wearing his dress blues/arch of sabres/perhaps cutting the cake with the sabre and I think it would be amazing to add something in the unity ceremony that incorporates the military as well.

Thanks! :)

Re: Military Unity Ideas

• This isn't going to help you much, sorry.

I'm a MOB and 26 year vet.  My service was a privilege and is very near and dear to my heart. It was a humbling and profound experience.  That said, I do not/did not let it seep into every single aspect of my life.

I can only say this for me, but when it comes to a unity ceremony, that is between me and my DH and the military isn't going to be part of it.  That is me, the person, not the Soldier, taking part in a unity ceremony with my husband.  The Army will be gone one day (and it is) and I still need to be there with my spouse keeping the promises I made.

I'm going to encourage you to think about leaving the military aspect out of this.  His commitment to you has nothing to do with the Army and everything to do with him as a person.

You already have lovely military touches incorporated into your day.  Let the rest of it be about who you are rather than more military elements.
  • I agree with K.  You already have military aspects in your wedding.  Contrary to what some spouses will have you believe, you are marrying a man, not the military.  Let the ceremony and traditions of the wedding be about the two of you, not the military.  
    However, if you really want to tie the military into your knot ceremony, you can use 550 cord instead of regular rope.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • However, if you really want to tie the military into your knot ceremony, you can use 550 cord instead of regular rope.  
    I just died. I would laugh so hard, and you know I felt like I was marrying 'Merica. I hope I see this someday. I will know they lurked on here, and I will think of you. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • However, if you really want to tie the military into your knot ceremony, you can use 550 cord instead of regular rope.  
    I just died. I would laugh so hard, and you know I felt like I was marrying 'Merica. I hope I see this someday. I will know they lurked on here, and I will think of you. 
    I really want someone to do it, too.  I'm kind of hoping one of my brides does it so I can post the pic on your wall, lol.  
  • OMG - I almost spit a glass of milk on the screen!  That is hysterical.

It is even more hysterical now that my DD is engaged to an Infantry NCO.  I don't think she would go for this.... but I would be rolling in the aisle.

• omgosh, that is hilarious!!!! Thanks for the laugh, I definately needed that one :)

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think you all are right saying that we already have incorporated enough military aspects in order for people to get the idea that it's important - no need to overwhelm everything! :)
  • @iluvmytxrgr - my DD became engaged last week to a SFC in the Infantry.  I think I'll mess with her a bit and suggest the 550 cord.  Her FI will love it.
  • @kmmssg - Get them to use the blue infantry cord.  That would be hilarious!
  • I am so all over that!  They aren't into the specifics of the ceremony yet, but when the time comes, I will swoop down like the NCO/FMIL I am and work that baby!
  • I can't wait to hear about it!  
  • My husband and I didn't really like the candle or sand ceremony either.  Instead of doing a "unity" ceremony, we did a love letter ceremony.  Before our wedding day, we wrote love letters to each other and bought a bottle of our favorite kind of wine.  We purchased a special box to pack them away in - we used this one:  http://www.weddingstar.com/product/love-letter-ceremony-box-set#reviews .   Then, during the ceremony our officiant explained what we'd done, and we packed the letters away and locked the box together.  The idea is that on our ten year anniversary, we'll open the box, drink the wine, and read the letters we wrote to each other.  :)  
  • @rahaney. I love that idea! I'm the military one in our family (Navy), and I was totally just lurking. It's a great way to age a bottle of wine too! Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards