Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

speeches?

typically, who all is suppose to make a speech?

Re: speeches?

• Options
    The only people who make toasts (not speeches) are those who offer. If no one offers, no one makes any toasts.

We only had one toast at our wedding. As soon as we were announced and had everyone's attention, my dad welcomed everyone, thanked them for coming and said a few words. 

We had a few other wedding party members and family who wanted to make toasts. They did these at the rehearsal dinner so that people could just keep partying at the reception.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    We had the exact same thing as @southernbelle0915. Looking back, I think it would have been nice if DH and I had also given a short speech to thank everyone, but I definitely encourage you to keep the numbers of speakers down.  
  • Options
    jordlwilk said:
    typically, who all is suppose to make a speech?
    We had people offer and ask if they could.
    At our wedding our Best Man, FOB, MOG, and one of my sisters and one of his sisters (did one together).
  • Options
    I usually see the best man and maid of honor give toasts, though there isn't any sort of rule that these particular people must give toasts. If you do have them, I'd ask whoever if giving them to keep them short. As others have mentioned, it can get really tedious listening to multiple, long speeches. 
  • Options
    My parents are technically hosting (they're paying), but my dad doesn't want to give a speech, and that's fine with me.

My MOH and FI's BM both will give speeches -- they asked -- and have promised to keep them short and free of inside jokes. Then our priest will say grace, dinner will start, and the microphone will not be out of the DJ's hands for the rest of the night.

I think with speeches, the key is to keep them short, light, sweet, and free of inside jokes. Nothing is more annoying as a guest to hear a long-winded speech full of inside jokes that no one outside the bridal party gets. 

Also, we are telling the DJ explicitly that after the speeches and the grace before meal, NO ONE ELSE is to be given the microphone. I have been to too many weddings where people have had a few too many drinks and suddenly felt like doing an impromptu speech that is wildly inappropriate. 
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I just stumbled upon this thread and am happy I did.  Both our MOH and best man are very shy.  Both were planning on doing toasts/speeches at the reception because they thought that was what was expected.  However, I may talk to them and let them know it's up to them and if they still want to and if they do, we will do toasts at the rehearsal instead of the reception.  I have a question about that though - if we do not have toasts or speeches at our reception, is a 'champagne toast' necessary?  My fiance and I plan to address the entire room and say thank you along with walking around and greeting everyone individually but I'm assuming we wouldn't toast to ourselves..right?  So is a champagne toast necessary if we're not having toasts?
  • Options
    I just stumbled upon this thread and am happy I did.  Both our MOH and best man are very shy.  Both were planning on doing toasts/speeches at the reception because they thought that was what was expected.  However, I may talk to them and let them know it's up to them and if they still want to and if they do, we will do toasts at the rehearsal instead of the reception.  I have a question about that though - if we do not have toasts or speeches at our reception, is a 'champagne toast' necessary?  My fiance and I plan to address the entire room and say thank you along with walking around and greeting everyone individually but I'm assuming we wouldn't toast to ourselves..right?  So is a champagne toast necessary if we're not having toasts?
    If you and your FI are planning to address everyone and thank them for coming, you can decide if you want people to just raise whatever their drinking or have champagne or just address people and thank them, but not have it be a toast (no booze). Up to you. 

At our wedding, everyone just raised whatever they were drinking. Most people I know aren't huge champagne fans so it didn't make sense to do a champagne toast. We figured more would get wasted than consumed.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Thanks for the advice southernbelle!  I'm thinking we'll do the same - people will just raise whatever they're drinking.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards