Snarky Brides
Options

Just received an invitation to a wedding I thought I attended two years ago...

Friends of ours got married two years ago. It was a rushed (2 weeks notice) court house wedding on a normal week day, where everybody had to take off work to be able to attend, they celebrated in the groom's parent's living room... just family and a few friends, a sheet cake and a cold buffet...we attended the ceremony, gave a gift, etc. Prior to this rushed affair the bride had always talked about how her wedding was supposed to be, the celebration wasn't anything she wanted... a carriage, dining in a castle, etc. 
was suprised to find an invitation in the post today stating I was invited to their wedding in spring next year (with registry information, etc. attached to it)... I was under the impression that they got married two years ago... never been I so wrong... takes place at a weekend at a place I know they can't afford (his parents paid for their newborn's pram, buggy, etc.because they couldn't afford it, her parents are going through bankruptcy), but comes closer to her dream wedding... at this stage I just wonder what kind of event I attended two years ago... 

this has tacky and WTF written all over it... 

Re: Just received an invitation to a wedding I thought I attended two years ago...

• Options
    They could have decided to throw a bigger bash as a anniversary party, even a vow renewal, but instead decided to pretend it was the actual wedding, and would apparently like gifts.  

"I think, therefore I waffle about aimlessly for long periods of time."
  • Options
    itzMS said:
    UGHHHH. I would decline, and send them an anniversary card.
    So much this. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I wouldn't even RSVP no to that.  I would toss the invite and move on.  What a lot of crap.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't bother going. You already attended her ceremony, celebrated with her and even gave her a gift. Now she is literally asking you for another gift two years later so she can pretend to get married? No way. 
  • Options
    GlassButtonGlassButton member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    Wow, I love defending PPDs but this is just no.
  • Options

NYCBruin said:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO no no no no no

I would send them an anniversary card and put the RSVP card with a "decline" in it.
    Or a picture of their first wedding in it...
    Or a card with your regrets over their recent divorce??
    I like this one the best!
  • Options
    OMG PPD!! Send regrets and a book on etiquette/ composition of all of us trashing PPDs and why they are bad, including posts by those who are no longer with us due to knotgod decisions/attitudes
  • Options
    I'd want to call and ask, "Then what the hell did I attend two years ago?"

Officially hitched as of 10/25/13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

NYCBruin said:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO no no no no no

I would send them an anniversary card and put the RSVP card with a "decline" in it.
    Or a picture of their first wedding in it...
    Or a card with your regrets over their recent divorce??
    I like this one the best!
    Please do all of this.

And GlassButton - why why why why why why why would you love defending PPDs?  PPDs are one of the most obnoxious wedding-related missteps ever dreamed up.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Blue_BirdBlue_Bird member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited August 2013
    Maybe they're bringing back "Candid Camera", and they just want to film the guests' reactions? You're part of an new reality t.v. show that the post office is in on.
  • Options
    Holy crap. 

I can see having a vow renewal, as a sort of redo to make up for having a super simple wedding to begin with. But asking for gifts?!? NONONONO. You can't be serious. The point of wedding gifts is to help a couple with their new lives together. They're not newly married. 

Maybe it would just maybe only a little tacky if they completely eloped the first time around and didn't receive gifts, but they did. 

If she wants a big party at a fancy venue, well, can't blame her for that. But yuck. Some people's children.
  • Options
    If it were a vow renewal then yeah, you can have the hoopla, but not this. Thumbs down.
  • Options

Out of curiousity, what makes this one different from the ones that you defend? A PPD is a PPD.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

Asked her at which stage they got divorced and she told me what a crappy friend I am....

and that I'm jealous that she is going to get the wedding she wants and I only want to outshine her wedding with my wedding... I'm not the one with the big wedding reception dressing up in a white dress three years after I got married...  

AWESOME!

She sounds lovely.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but what is a PPD?

• Options
    mimiphin said:
    Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but what is a PPD?
    Pretty Princess Day. Basically if you go and get married in a courthouse and then decide to throw yourself a "wedding" at a later date. Because every girl "deserves" a big fancy wedding. Even though her trip to the courthouse WAS a wedding.

It's offensive to those who chose to get married in a courthouse or in a simple ceremony with a JOP because it implies that that's not a "real" wedding. It's frequently done by those in the military or by others who don't want to wait until their "wedding" day to get the legal benefits of being married.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    PPD = pretty princess day. Basically, it's a wedding celebration after a legal marriage.
  • Options
    Oh!! Thanks a bunch Ladies!

• Options
    See, if the PPD was on their 1st anniversary, or a few months after an elopement as part of the celebration, that I could understand. Gifts, not so much (except for the elopement thing, depending on the situation, like a military couple getting married the week before a deployment).
    But 2 years later?
    No. Nonono.
  • Options
    j-harveyj-harvey member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    And with registry info on the invite?  FOR SHAME!
  • Options
    I will admit that I am still a bit on the fence about my feelings about PPDs in general..depending on the scenario..but this is just all kinds of wrong. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    GlassButton             I'm still brushing up on my abbreviations---what's PPD?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards