Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Plates on the table?

We decided to go with a buffet dinner for our small wedding of about 40 people. We really aren't sure about plate settings. Should we have plates on a table by the buffet for guest to pick up when they are ready to get their food or should we have the plates already on the tables in the place settings for guest to bring up with them?

Thank you for opinions and suggestions.

Re: Plates on the table?

• We decided to go with a buffet dinner for our small wedding of about 40 people. We really aren't sure about plate settings. Should we have plates on a table by the buffet for guest to pick up when they are ready to get their food or should we have the plates already on the tables in the place settings for guest to bring up with them?

Thank you for opinions and suggestions.
    I would say just the plates at the buffet. Guests will forget. Make it fool proof.
  • Plates by the buffet.  Also, you could ask your caterer what they usually do and most likely it would be to stack them near the buffet.

• Jessica41381Jessica41381 member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    Near the buffet.. We had a buffet and the only plates that were at the table were salad plates as we had salad at each table. The plates for the buffet were at the buffet.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Plates at the buffet. Definitely. We had charger plates at the table as well - with a pre-set salad on them when guests entered the room. Cut down on the amount people would have to try to make fit on their plates for the buffet part!
  • Good idea about the salads! Thank you ladies
  • We did a strolling dinner so plates, napkins and flatware were at the various stations. All we had at the seated tables and cocktail tables were our centerpieces. It looked fine.
    *********************************************************************************

• I'm having my tables set with everything on them except the plates themselves. I will have a salad station because I have 2 salad choices and plates will be there. Then people can walk through the buffet and get whatever else they want. In my head I see the guest walking back to the table with a plate in each hand. The wait staff will serve non alcoholic drinks table side.
  • I would say plates by the buffet and opt for chargers on the table if they are within your budget. 
  • A personal pet peeve of mine with buffets are the plates.  Often a smaller salad plate starts the line, near the salads.  A second larger plate is midway down the buffet line, closer to the entrees.  I often make the salad the "dinner portion" of my meal as I tend to steer clear of meat.  It is often difficult to get out of line to find the larger plates, and then have to go to the end of the line to start again.  Could your venue maybe put a set of larger plates out near the salad?
  • By the buffet.  I don't want to pick up my plate and carry it around to the food, run into someone and start talking, all the while holding onto the thing I am going to be eating off of.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards