Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

cake deisgn delima beach or no beach

so i have been searching high and low at pictures for cake designs and how i want my cake to look i am having a summer evening wedding end of june of 2014 church ceremony and reception at really nice italian wedding venue no where near the beach . full course sit down dinner with open bar. i love the look of a beach cake with seashells and starfish. 

my mom and sister both told me your reception is not at a venue near the beach why would you have a beach themed cake? do i stick to my guns and go ahead with a simpler beach themed cake like just a few seashells here and there with some scroll work on the tiers or do i go with a different theme all together 

Re: cake deisgn delima beach or no beach

• Honestly, I am in the same area as you. BUT my wedding is a formal event, as my friend keeps reminding me. We are however doing a beach honeymoon and we do currently live near the beach (FI and I, not where my wedding is taking place). We opted to have beach cake utensils and beach guest book/pen. So although not beach looking cake, still has a little bit of beach in it! You have to think of it this way, how do you want your guests to look, what does your dress look like, what are you serving? I'm wearing a ball gown and guests are having sit down. It would be one thing if it was a BBQ beach themed, but it's not. In the end, have  it how you want, but think about how you want your wedding to look, if you want the elegant classy wedding, then ditch it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • so i have been searching high and low at pictures for cake designs and how i want my cake to look i am having a summer evening wedding end of june of 2014 church ceremony and reception at really nice italian wedding venue no where near the beach . full course sit down dinner with open bar. i love the look of a beach cake with seashells and starfish. 

my mom and sister both told me your reception is not at a venue near the beach why would you have a beach themed cake? do i stick to my guns and go ahead with a simpler beach themed cake like just a few seashells here and there with some scroll work on the tiers or do i go with a different theme all together 
    Do what makes you happy. That sounds like an awesome cake. If it's what you want it's what you want. This is one of those places where you get to do what you want and add special touches. You could include a little card explaining the significance of the beach theme. I think it's cute. I wouldn't side eye it. I wouldn't be confused. It's cake. I'd eat it.
  • so i have been searching high and low at pictures for cake designs and how i want my cake to look i am having a summer evening wedding end of june of 2014 church ceremony and reception at really nice italian wedding venue no where near the beach . full course sit down dinner with open bar. i love the look of a beach cake with seashells and starfish. 

My vote is for a more plain/traditional cake. I'm not a fan of anything that is overtly following a "theme".

Do you have  pictures of you and FI on the beach that you can display on the cake table? Maybe with a few seashells on the table itself?

• our first date after dinner we went to this place by the beach its called saybrook point its got a inn and another resturant as well as a really long cemeted boardwalk area we talked for hours there. we both are in love with the beach. it holds so many memories for us..  we got engaged at this place at the little private beach area there and had our celebration dinner the resturant overlooking the water 
  • I think if you want a beach cake, you should have a beach cake.

We're doing a dragon cake, and that has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that we thought it would be awesome.
  • I'm not really a fan of "themey" wedding cakes either.

I like itzMS's idea about surrounding the cake with decorations that represent the theme, rather than making the cake a "themed" cake.  Maybe you can have a themed groom's cake or something?
  • I would do whatever you want. You can transform a space into a beach theme if its what you want. Our cake was beachy and I loved it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Could you perhaps find a beach themed cake topper? If you want the cake to represent the significant and romantic events of your relationship, a cake topper that is traditionally saved would help to preserve those memories.
  • Of course you can have whatever style cake you want; as a guest, though, I would see the cake and think "Oh, a beach cake... Okay then" because the wedding is not at all beach-y except for the cake.
  • You could do an elegant, subtle beach themed cake.

I like this one..image

or like PP said, you could have a cake topper to preserve those special memories. Especially if your honeymoon will be somewhere tropical.

Like this one pictured here:image

or this one:image

It's your wedding, do what you want. If you want to preserve the elegant wedding feel, then do something subtle. Just because you want a beech themed wedding cake, doesn't mean it has to be something in-your-face or casual. You can come up with a compromise to appease your mom and sister, but still keep the meaning that you want. I also loved the idea of having a picture of you and your FI in/at/around a beach in a frame at the table so guests aren't confused by your cake. Do you have any pictures from his proposal? That would be gorgeous.

So long as it's delicious, people will eat it. No worries! I hope this helps!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards