Not Engaged Yet

Engaged on vacation!!!

Hi ladies!!! Sorry haven't been around much, just been really busy! Some might remember me mentioning visiting the future in-laws and receiving an heirloom ring. I decided to go with the heirloom ring when I saw it while on vacation. My BF's parents are retired (from the UK) and live in a boat and sail the Meditterranean and Turkish coast, so we saw the ring one night and I said I wanted it, and then the next day we docked in a little town and bf and I went sightseeing alone to this ruin castle where he asked a stranger to take a pic of us and got down on one knee! I was genuinely surprised (even though I should have known he would do it while on vacation) but so ecstatic! His parents were delighted and we celebrated on the boat with the only bottle of sparkling wine we could find in the tiny shop (when I say this place is tiny, it's only accessible by boat!) It happened about 1.5 weeks ago and I wanted to post but since I got back I have been so busy flying!

We've brought the ring, along with my mom's old engagement ring (she passed away last year so it's very important) and they said they can touch up to stone (it's a sapphire with a very tiny chip) and can change out the band to a white gold one (the setting is in silver or white gold for some reason, and the rest of the ring is yellow gold) and will fashion a custom band to go with the ring with the center stone from my mom's e-ring. That should be done in about a week!

Here's a pic the stranger took.. I burst out laughing because I was so shocked, and eventually teared up, and then thought I should have known! I couldn't wear the ring immediately after tho because it's huuuge! And the stranger I think was more surprised than I was!

Re: Engaged on vacation!!!

• What a beautiful location for an engagement! How awesome that your FI had thought to ask someone to snap a photo! I'm always jealous of gals who have pics of that moment...so special. Congratulations. I hope you enjoy every minute of your engagement. It really is a special time.
  • Congratulations! That is a beautiful place and a beautiful proposal!
  • Congrats!  What a wonderful proposal!
  • Wow what a beautiful place! Congrats on your engagement! Your ring sounds like it's going to be beautiful :)
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks so much everyone!!! I'll post pics of my ring when I get it back from the jeweler in a few days!!! :)
  • Congratulations!
  • edited August 2013
    Hi ladies!!! Sorry haven't been around much, just been really busy! Some might remember me mentioning visiting the future in-laws and receiving an heirloom ring. I decided to go with the heirloom ring when I saw it while on vacation. My BF's parents are retired (from the UK) and live in a boat and sail the Meditterranean and Turkish coast, so we saw the ring one night and I said I wanted it, and then the next day we docked in a little town and bf and I went sightseeing alone to this ruin castle where he asked a stranger to take a pic of us and got down on one knee! I was genuinely surprised (even though I should have known he would do it while on vacation) but so ecstatic! His parents were delighted and we celebrated on the boat with the only bottle of sparkling wine we could find in the tiny shop (when I say this place is tiny, it's only accessible by boat!) It happened about 1.5 weeks ago and I wanted to post but since I got back I have been so busy flying!

We've brought the ring, along with my mom's old engagement ring (she passed away last year so it's very important) and they said they can touch up to stone (it's a sapphire with a very tiny chip) and can change out the band to a white gold one (the setting is in silver or white gold for some reason, and the rest of the ring is yellow gold) and will fashion a custom band to go with the ring with the center stone from my mom's e-ring. That should be done in about a week!

Here's a pic the stranger took.. I burst out laughing because I was so shocked, and eventually teared up, and then thought I should have known! I couldn't wear the ring immediately after tho because it's huuuge! And the stranger I think was more surprised than I was!
    many true heirloom/vintage rings are set this way.  the silver/white gold is actually platinum, at least on mine.  I think my jeweler said that the silver color does a better job at reflecting the diamond than the traditional yellow gold.  I ended up keeping it the way it was, although I seriously considered plating the ring to a rose or white gold.

congratulations on your engagement!
  • Hi ladies!!! Sorry haven't been around much, just been really busy! Some might remember me mentioning visiting the future in-laws and receiving an heirloom ring. I decided to go with the heirloom ring when I saw it while on vacation. My BF's parents are retired (from the UK) and live in a boat and sail the Meditterranean and Turkish coast, so we saw the ring one night and I said I wanted it, and then the next day we docked in a little town and bf and I went sightseeing alone to this ruin castle where he asked a stranger to take a pic of us and got down on one knee! I was genuinely surprised (even though I should have known he would do it while on vacation) but so ecstatic! His parents were delighted and we celebrated on the boat with the only bottle of sparkling wine we could find in the tiny shop (when I say this place is tiny, it's only accessible by boat!) It happened about 1.5 weeks ago and I wanted to post but since I got back I have been so busy flying!

many true heirloom/vintage rings are set this way.  the silver/white gold is actually platinum, at least on mine.  I think my jeweler said that the silver color does a better job at reflecting the diamond than the traditional yellow gold.  I ended up keeping it the way it was, although I seriously considered plating the ring to a rose or white gold.

congratulations on your engagement!
    Oh wow, good to know. I didn't ask the jeweler, as his English wasn't super clear (we did get on the right track about what I wanted for my ring though, so no worries) so I didn't other asking unnecessary questions... lol.. but he said it was easy to just remove the yellow gold band and make a white gold one. Excited, hope I'm right and that everything comes out as I want it to lol. 

Thanks!!
  • you're going to remove the band?  my jeweler was just going to dip it.  I think it would only be $50 that way.  of course, you have to get it redipped every so often, but I didn't want to replace the band.  it is so thin and teeny-tiny, I just love it...  especially on my short fingers.

I STILL play with the idea of getting it dipped in rose gold.  I just love rose gold.  maybe I'll call up my jeweler again to set up my "check up" appointment (get the prongs checked, etc.) and ask about it again.  :)

do you have any pictures of your ring?  I would LOVE to see it. 
  • Congratulations!
  • Congrats!

• thejinxchanthejinxchan member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited August 2013
    you're going to remove the band?  my jeweler was just going to dip it.  I think it would only be $50 that way.  of course, you have to get it redipped every so often, but I didn't want to replace the band.  it is so thin and teeny-tiny, I just love it...  especially on my short fingers.

I STILL play with the idea of getting it dipped in rose gold.  I just love rose gold.  maybe I'll call up my jeweler again to set up my "check up" appointment (get the prongs checked, etc.) and ask about it again.  :)

do you have any pictures of your ring?  I would LOVE to see it. 
    Yes, a few ladies in my post about the ring suggested dipping but yeah, would have to redip it often. I had some white gold jewelry (ok, an old engagement ring if you will, that my ex-fiance did not want back and I figured it wasn't going to get me enough to want to sell it) that me and BF agreed we would reuse to save us loads of money, so the jeweler is using that to replace the band. Wedding band it being remade from those diamonds as well as the diamond in my mom's e-ring. I know it sounds strange to use an ex-e-ring but BF totally does not mind since we are trying to be really frugal with the wedding and want to buy a house (house trumps wedding!).

Here's the pic.. we had ideas to maybe change the setting completely but the jeweler convinced us to keep the vintage charm.. he would just remove the sapphire and fix it up a bit. The ring is also like, 4 sizes too big, even on my pointer finger, so probs just best to redo it altogether. Please excuse my mangy hands, I took the pic while we were flying back from holiday so horribly dry skin!

• Pretty! It does have a lot of charm. 
  • Thanks :) I'll be picking it up in a few days and hopefully everything will turn out great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards