Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Eloping soon, so many questions!

My fiancé & I have been engaged for 3 years, we haven't been able to get married before now because of difficult financial struggles. Last week my fiancé decides that we should elope this September. We agreed years ago that we would elope because of family issues & we are private people. I'm excited but overwhelmed, I have no idea what I'm doing. I have no idea what kind of dress to get, what size..etc.. I normally never wear dresses, so I have no clue what size I would wear. I'm afraid it will be difficult because I have a larger bust, but a smaller waist. We are hoping to get married on the beach somewhere in Florida, so I don't want a really long dress that will get sand all over it. I'm not a flashy person so most of the gowns I've looked at are not my style, most are strapless or have a lot of sequins. I can't do strapless because I don't want to fight with the dress all day pulling it up, and I need better "support". I want a simple nice looking white dress that's affordable, and doesn't drag the ground. I've seen a nice example online, but I don't know if its an appropriate weddjng dress or not... I want a casual wedding, just me and my future husband wearing something fit for a beach wedding. Also, we are on a budget so I'd like to do my own hair if possible, but am not good with it. Last month I got a pretty drastic haircut, it was down past my boobs and now it falls around my collarbone. If I would have know we would be getting married I would have waited to get it cut. I want nice beachy waves, but I'm afraid it won't look right now with my shorter style & new hair color. Everything is just so stressful now, I've never been married before & have only attended one wedding. So I have no clue what I should do or need to do.. I have no idea what style of dress to get that would fit my beach wedding, without being too long..I seen this dress online the other day, I think it's a cute dress, but is it good enough to be a wedding dress? If I were to buy it I would accessorize it with jewelry. Here is the link to the dress: http://www.jenniferdresses.com/unique-short-empire-spaghetti-straps-white-vneck-lace-promeveningbridesmaid-dresses-xoxo-xo6380ggs1-p-18293.html

Please give me your honest opinion! Also, any hair advice would be appreciated! Thanks everyone.

Re: Eloping soon, so many questions!

• My fiancé & I have been engaged for 3 years, we haven't been able to get married before now because of difficult financial struggles. Last week my fiancé decides that we should elope this September. We agreed years ago that we would elope because of family issues & we are private people. I'm excited but overwhelmed, I have no idea what I'm doing. I have no idea what kind of dress to get, what size..etc.. I normally never wear dresses, so I have no clue what size I would wear. I'm afraid it will be difficult because I have a larger bust, but a smaller waist. We are hoping to get married on the beach somewhere in Florida, so I don't want a really long dress that will get sand all over it. I'm not a flashy person so most of the gowns I've looked at are not my style, most are strapless or have a lot of sequins. I can't do strapless because I don't want to fight with the dress all day pulling it up, and I need better "support". I want a simple nice looking white dress that's affordable, and doesn't drag the ground. I've seen a nice example online, but I don't know if its an appropriate weddjng dress or not... I want a casual wedding, just me and my future husband wearing something fit for a beach wedding. Also, we are on a budget so I'd like to do my own hair if possible, but am not good with it. Last month I got a pretty drastic haircut, it was down past my boobs and now it falls around my collarbone. If I would have know we would be getting married I would have waited to get it cut. I want nice beachy waves, but I'm afraid it won't look right now with my shorter style & new hair color. Everything is just so stressful now, I've never been married before & have only attended one wedding. So I have no clue what I should do or need to do.. I have no idea what style of dress to get that would fit my beach wedding, without being too long..I seen this dress online the other day, I think it's a cute dress, but is it good enough to be a wedding dress? If I were to buy it I would accessorize it with jewelry. Here is the link to the dress: http://www.jenniferdresses.com/unique-short-empire-spaghetti-straps-white-vneck-lace-promeveningbridesmaid-dresses-xoxo-xo6380ggs1-p-18293.html Please give me your honest opinion! Also, any hair advice would be appreciated! Thanks everyone.

What size do you normally wear?  If you are going to order dresses, I would start there.  ;)

As for the dress you linked to, it's definitely not my style, but if you like it, try it!  You can wear whatever you want.  You may be best off going into a store and trying on different styles so you know what you like first, then expanding your search to online stores.  Just make sure they have good return policies.

As for your hair, I would google your hair length and see the styles out there.  Find something you like and see if you can do it.  Otherwise, perhaps you can cut your budget elsewhere and have a local salon do it for you the day of.

• Thanks for replying Joan. I normally wear a size 3 in jeans, any idea what size dress I would wear? Since I'm still uncertain about what kind of dress I want, I'm agreeing with you about trying on different ones. I don't want to order a dress online & have it look terrible when I get it. Hopefully later this week I can stop by another bridal shop & see something I actually like!
  • Stop by the bridal shop and try on stuff.  Most bridal gowns run about 2 sizes above your street size.  So if you're a 3/4, you'll probably be 5/6 or 7/8.  The salesperson there should be able to help you out and make sure you are fitted properly if you buy there.  If you are buying a regular dress off the rack of a department store, you will probably be around your same size.  Good luck.....stop back and let us know how you made out!
  • Try a personal shopper/stylist at Nordstrom. She'll help you with the whole look. Also, JCrew sells bridal fashions off the rack in some stores, so you could try and buy that day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards