Wedding Etiquette Forum

Everybody has an opinion...

I've been engaged to my fiance since Christmas of this past year (Xmas 2012 :) ).  We planned a long engagment before he even popped the question.  We want to be smart and be more financially sound before we say I do. My younger brother recently proposed to his girlfriend of 5 years.  Of course everybody is very happy and very excited.  We have not set a wedding date yet and they are still enjoying the new bling bling bliss. :)  One of the first things out of my Mother's mouth is "you can't get married the same year as your sister-that's just not right to do for everybody's finances!"  My poor future sister in law came to me very overwhelmed.  She feels like my family is jumping down her throat.  Why the hell is anyone telling them when they can and when they cannot have  a wedding?!  Don't worry about it!  They will figure it out on their own.  The following day my fiance and I were talking to our father about the new job that we both got (its an at home position that pays way more then our current jobs and includes us working as a team).  We mentioned that we might set our date for next year (2014) since we'll have the extra money to save up for over a year.  And then he jumped down our throats about "what we agreed on."  He said no wait until 2015 cuz I won't have the money to give you.  I was furious. 

Obviously weddings cost a lot but we don't expect anyone to pay for it if they cannot.  We don't expect anybody to give us any money period!  If they want to and can, then great!  But if not, we're not holding it against anybody.  We don't want anything extravagent.  It's going to be a lot of DIY as I'm a seamstress, crafter, artist, floral designer, you name it I've done it and can do it well. :)  I just understand where people get off making it about their fiances (once again I understand that they just want to help us but we don't want anybody's money if it's going to hurt them financially) and what they think is best for us to do. 

It is OUR wedding!  Not theres.  Why does everyone feel the need to give us their opinion on what is best/when we should get married/when my brother and his fiancee should get married/etc?!  I'm not getting married so it can be conveinent for everybody else, I'm getting married because I found the man I want to spend of my life with.  Instead of celebrating and being happy everyone is making it about the materialistic stuff.  I'd rock a $100 dress and still be happy with what we have together.  Isn't that the point?! 

Why does everybody think that we want to hear their opinion and don't the realize that this isn't their wedding?

PS.  Just wanted to point out that I'm 26 and my fiance is 32.  We're good people with good heads on our shoulders.  My little brother is 24 and his fiancee is 25, they are saving up to buy a house in 2015 so logically probably won't get married until the following year. 

Re: Everybody has an opinion...

• edited August 2013
    You sound super logical and awesome! Woohoo! So many people complain about this type of situation. You are completely correct thinking no one has to pay for it, so plan your wedding the way your want. And honestly, this is such a non-issue if you're thinking of 2014-2016 weddings. I'm the younger sibling and getting married in Oct and my older brother is getting married May 2014. No issues what so ever.

ETA: Don't take other peoples opinions to heart. Pay for everything yourself so they don't get a say. If you take money, know that it comes with strings. 
  • Whether you like it or not, just announcing that you're engaged is going to elicit unwanted opinions.

I'd tell your parents, "Mom, Dad, FI and I are planning to pay for our wedding ourselves.  You don't have to worry about paying for it.  But with that in mind, we'd appreciate not receiving unasked for negative judgments from you.  We find it very hurtful when you do this."
  • melbelleupmelbelleup member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2013
    My brother and I are having our wedding 3 weeks a part... My parent's aren't too thrilled to have weddings back to back, but they never said anything about making either one of us switching our dates. That being said, my parents are paying for the majority of our wedding and his parent's are paying about 4k with us paying about 5-6k on our own. Sadly, weddings aren't cheap where I come from.

ETA: If it's your money, they don't get a say. Just say you can't wait to spend the day with them and there's no worry about money since you and FI can afford it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Congrats to you, FI, your bro and bro's FI! Yay for big things in your family!! You sound super level headed about the whole business. Keep it up! 

As long as you guys are the ones paying, they don't need to worry about it!
    *********************************************************************************

• As long as you and FI are paying for the wedding yourself, don't worry about what your parents are saying.  Next time they get huffy, just say: "We are paying for our wedding ourselves, so therefore we will plan it for when WE want to plan it for."

The only thing that I could see for your parents to be concerned with, is if you and your brother will be having a lot of overlapping out of town family who would need to fly in.  Having the wedding a month apart or so, could be a financial burden on them or cause family to choose one wedding over the other.  But overall, you are doing nothing wrong and should start planning your wedding!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards