Chit Chat
Options

NWR Quit Smoking

I decided to finally quit smoking! My 30th birthday is coming up and I want to be completely over the habit by then.

Anyone quit that has any advice? Or know someone who has?

I'm trying the eCig (blu). It seems to be helping. I also started exercising which keeps me from wanting a smoke.

Re: NWR Quit Smoking

• Options
    That is awesome! Ever since I can remember my mother was a smoker. Nothing could get her to quit. She smoked so much that one of my teachers in middle school pulled me aside because they thought I was just smoking in the bathroom because my clothes smelled so badly. It was embarrassing. It finally took my baby sister begging her to quit. She has been smoke free for almost 7 years! My dad still smokes occasionally, and he said that when he gets his first grandchild he will quit, I don't believe him lol. I have never even tried to smoke. I was so disgusted by my parents that I never wanted to do that. It is funny now, my mom will walk by someone who smokes and ask if she smelled like that, I tell her she smelled even worse.
  • Options
    I decided to finally quit smoking! My 30th birthday is coming up and I want to be completely over the habit by then. Anyone quit that has any advice? Or know someone who has? I'm trying the eCig (blu). It seems to be helping. I also started exercising which keeps me from wanting a smoke.

I just posted a thread on this about 3 weeks ago. My DH has been smoke free (cold turkey) now for three weeks.

He did it for himself, and that's the key. He started keeping track of how much money he was saving and is going to save this year, so he can make a big purchase. Money was a great motivator for him!

Good luck!

• Options
    I don't have any advice, but congratulations and good luck!
  • Options
    I had smoked for close to 15 years. I have tried to quit a couple times but failed. 2 months ago I decided that I didn't want to smell like smoke in my wedding dress (and I'm tired of my son griping for me to quit). I got the patches. I wore them for 1 week. (I started having crazy dreams). But that was enough for me to get over the major cravings and I haven't smoked since. I still get cravings every once in a while but its not bad anymore. I have friends that used the ecig and it didn't work for them. I wish you the best of luck.

I have already bought my dress and in the last 2 months I've gained 10 pounds! Luckily my dress still fits but its tight. I haven't changed my eating habits either. Keep an eye on your weight also, but since you are exercising and I didn't so maybe that will help you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 107 Invited so far!
    image 63 Are comming!
    image 9 Will be missing out!
    image 36 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    excellent! i smoked for about 10-11 years (pack a day) and quit using the patch. this was before e-cigs so i can't comment on that. i have friends who used chantix with varying success. 

i tried and failed a couple times before i really made it though, so don't get discouraged. the first couple days and weeks are really tough, but then it gets better and its so worth it.

one deal i made with myself was that for the first week, i could eat whatever i wanted and not care. that helped with the anxiety.
  • Options
    @vk2204 I've never smoked in front of my kids yet I'm sure they could smell it. It's only been 2 days and I'm starting to smell it a little when I walk by some people. So I think I'm on the right track! My dad smoked for 30 years and finally quit... Too bad he still drinks like crazy lol

@itzMS thanks! Does your H still have cravings? I decided to quit really after watching my grandmother die of cancer. I can't let my kids go through watching that.

@misssunshine17 Thank you! :)

@clpapke83 I need to gain weight! I'm naturally very short and skinny, I stopped growing when I was like 16! When I bought my dress they measured me and had to order a size 0... Then they have to alter it even smaller when it comes in in November! So gaining some weight would be a plus. My dad quit using patches. If the eCig doesn't work I'm going to try that next. :)

@cruffino thanks so much :) I smoked only about 5 a day so It's a little easier on me (I cut back before I stopped). How long did it take for you to completely stop wanting them? Did your skin look better? ( I get bad breakouts). I've been smoking for about 10 years so this is new territory for me lol
  • Options
    good luck to you!  My husband is in his quitting mode right now.  The best thing for him is whenever he craves a cigarette he sucks on a hard candy instead, which helps a lot.   This worked for my brother years ago too.

Anniversary
  • Options
    erinlin25 said:

good luck to you!  My husband is in his quitting mode right now.  The best thing for him is whenever he craves a cigarette he sucks on a hard candy instead, which helps a lot.   This worked for my brother years ago too.

I've been using jellybellys lol I went through a whole bag just this afternoon
  • Options
    Good luck! I quit completely cold turkey last November. Honestly, the fact that I feel so much better without them helped me stop from picking one up every time I had a craving. I have definitely gained weight though. Like a lot of weight. You asked about cravings.......I still get them. Sometimes, when I'm leaving work after a rough shift, a cigarette is the ONLY thing I can think about. I usually end up biting my lip until I stop thinking about cig. I'm not saying that's the best coping mechanism, but I'm trying to not eat candy and stuff because I'm trying to drop the weight I've gained. Stick with it though because you really will feel much better!
  • Options
    No advice here, just another cheerleader! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @kristinl410 I chew sugarless gum to get me thru my cravings. It helps so me much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 107 Invited so far!
    image 63 Are comming!
    image 9 Will be missing out!
    image 36 Can't find the mailbox!
  • Options
    Good for you, @elizabetheleven!  As a former social smoker, I agree with OPs that it comes down to a lot of willpower, and some good coping mechanisms. 

There are a few heavy smokers in my circle of friends that have successfully transitioned to an ecig. While the Blu is definitely a healthier option, it isn't really a cessation device since you are still getting the nicotine. You might look into getting a different model of vaporizer that allows you to add your own "e juice" so that you can reduce the nicotine level gradually over time, and eventually eliminate it entirely. 

Best of luck to you!!!
  • Options
    @OjitosVerdes thanks so much for that advice. Honestly I just figured hey It's better than smoking! But never thought what's next. I'll look into that cause I've been smoking the eCig like nobody's business!

I'm worried about having cravings that far into quitting but I know it is much better for me in the end.
  • Options
    @elizabetheleven - check out this company: http://freedomsmokeusa.com

The offer a bunch of models of vaporizers, hundreds of flavors of the ejuices, and they make everything in store so the quality and ingredients are completely US made and tightly controlled. 

They are local for me - I've been in their stores a couple times and the employees are super helpful. You might give them a call, tell them what your quitting goals are and see which models/nicotine strengths/etc. they'd suggest. 
  • Options

@elizabetheleven - check out this company: http://freedomsmokeusa.com

The offer a bunch of models of vaporizers, hundreds of flavors of the ejuices, and they make everything in store so the quality and ingredients are completely US made and tightly controlled. 

They are local for me - I've been in their stores a couple times and the employees are super helpful. You might give them a call, tell them what your quitting goals are and see which models/nicotine strengths/etc. they'd suggest. 
    You're awesome, thank you :)
  • Options
    That's awesome & Congrats! It only takes 3 days to get the nicotine out of your system, so its just breaking the habit of having to have a cigarette after that. Maybe try using hard candy to substitute for it and avoiding things/ place, if possible, that are triggers. Good Luck!! 
  • Options
    @cruffino thanks so much :) I smoked only about 5 a day so It's a little easier on me (I cut back before I stopped). How long did it take for you to completely stop wanting them? Did your skin look better? ( I get bad breakouts). I've been smoking for about 10 years so this is new territory for me lol
    i wish i could say when i completely stopped wanting them, but i honestly don't remember. i got to the point where i could go to a bar or a party and smoke a couple and get up the next day and not care at all or have a relapse. that ended though, and now, just the smell of them nauseates me. i couldn't smoke even if i wanted to! strange how it happens. i never would have predicted it since i smoked so much for so long. 

as for the skin, i never had breakouts and so i didn't notice and memorable changes. it was the stink all over my hair and clothes that i'm really glad is gone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards