Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Tipping the Caricature Artist

FI and I are thinking of booking a caricature artist for a couple hours starting at cocktail hour.  He does SUPER quick portraits (around 60-75 people per hour).  My question is, do we tip him?  We are hiring him directly so all the money we're paying (which is quite a bit) is going to him.

And for that matter, what is the norm for tipping performers? I'm not having any, but I'm sure there are brides out there wondering this.

Re: Tipping the Caricature Artist

• Options
    kss20 said:

FI and I are thinking of booking a caricature artist for a couple hours starting at cocktail hour.  He does SUPER quick portraits (around 60-75 people per hour).  My question is, do we tip him?  We are hiring him directly so all the money we're paying (which is quite a bit) is going to him.

And for that matter, what is the norm for tipping performers? I'm not having any, but I'm sure there are brides out there wondering this.

If you haven't hired him yet, I would say skip it. These types of things remind me of a children's carnival or Disney world - not a wedding. 

Could you save the money or reallocate it to passed apps? Guests generally prefer better food/drink over a sketch artist. 

I don't know if there is a norm for tipping performers because performers are not the norm for weddings. I wouldn't even want to guess on that question... 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

As with anything, you can never go wrong with 20%.

Another vote for skipping the artist and/or any performers for anyone who is reading/lurking.

Guests come to a wedding to wish the couple well and socialize with other guests. They don't need to be entertained. Have great food and drink, and music if you like. Easy.

• Options
    Yes. I would tip him. If I got my photo done at a state fair, they would have a tip jar out in addition to the $10 for the print so yes. But I would definitely prefer to do like food with that money. :)
  • Options
    I wouldn't do this for my own wedding, but if you do it, 15 to 20% is probably reasonable.
  • Options
    I think it's a fine idea... I would love something like this as a guest. Caricature artists don't make me think of children's birthday parties... Plastic tableclothes, facepainting, and bad pizza do.
  • Options
    I went to a wedding that had this, a fairly elite wedding, and it was exceptionally fun. People talk about her wedding and the caricaturist still (and that was in 2007).

There was nothing kids party or carnival-like about it. The artist was sitting on the side discreetly, there was a signup sheet with times to come back and people were elated. Those who were uninterested didn't go.  I'd enjoy it as a guest again and again.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    I think this sounds like a really cute idea!  I wish I had thought of it myself.  As for the tipping aspect, I have a family member in a similar industry, and while tips aren't usually expected or required (because you're already paying for the service), they're really a nice gesture and a little tip could mean a lot to the vendor/performer.
  • Options
    We were thinking of getting one instead of a photobooth. I have found a caricaturist who does it on an ipad and than prints it off. We were thinking of having him print two copies and using one as a favor and the other one for the guest book.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards