Chit Chat
Options

give me your opinion

Hey Ladies

So I'm newly engaged :) and my fiance & I were talking about the reception hall & I brought up if he was thinking about doing a cash/open bar and he said that he only wants alcohol served in the cocktail hour only because he thinks it's not right to drink during the reception because its a time where you celebrate with the bride & groom of their marriage. 

Are any of you ladies dealing with the same issue as me? How can I resolve this because tell you the truth I would kind of like a drink or two during the reception lol :)

Please help.

Thanks,

Danielle 

Re: give me your opinion

• Options
    Hey Ladies

So I'm newly engaged :) and my fiance & I were talking about the reception hall & I brought up if he was thinking about doing a cash/open bar and he said that he only wants alcohol served in the cocktail hour only because he thinks it's not right to drink during the reception because its a time where you celebrate with the bride & groom of their marriage. 

Are any of you ladies dealing with the same issue as me? How can I resolve this because tell you the truth I would kind of like a drink or two during the reception lol :)

Please help.

Thanks,

Danielle 

I don't understand the bolded at all. Has your FI ever been to a wedding?

Cash bars are very rude, so if you choose to have alcohol, you must host it.

• Options
    Two points: cash bars are rude, and whatever is served to the guests at any point in the night should be thought the night. If you don't want alcohol at the reception, then the cocktail hr needs to be nonalcoholic also. And vice versa, if your want drinks during cocktail hour then they should continue hosted through the night

• Options
    sorry i dont know why it bolded like that ... 
    i know cash bars are rude its usually an open bar if you have a wedding or going to a wedding 

well he doesnt want alcohol at the reception just at cocktail hr and thats it 

he says he has been to many weddings and he says that he seen ppl act up and one of his close friends had an open bar and regretted doing it bc ppl were acting up and everything my FI also stated that there are some venues that dont serve alcohol during the reception ..... 

i was engaged b4 and planned my 1st wedding so this is not my 1st rodeo and i was going to have a open bar and i have been to numerous weddings where there has been open bar as well .. sooo idk what to do 
  • Options
    You can still have an open bar, your fiance doesn't need to drink if he doesn't want to. But if its at the cocktail hour then it should be at the reception as well.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    If your fiance is concerned about people drinking too much perhaps you should look at a venue and time that wouldn't encourage drinking.  Have a morning ceremony and a lunch reception. 
  • Options
    That is really weird. Either host for the whole reception or have a dry wedding, which is fine. Trust your guests to be responsible adults. 
  • Options

That is really weird. Either host for the whole reception or have a dry wedding, which is fine. Trust your guests to be responsible adults. 
    This. You can't have alcohol for an hour and then stop. Well, you CAN, but people will be talking about it behind your back. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Maybe you and your FI should consider a limited bar of beer, wine, and some signature drinks. And perhaps talk with the staff at the venue about cutting off those who appear to have had a few too many after a while?

FI and I are having a late morning ceremony with lunch reception. We're offering mimosas for the guests while we get the pictures over with, along with non-alkie options. Reception will have the same, with champagne toast. Our wedding is the first Saturday of Lent (several family members choose to abstain from alcohol except when receiving communion during the Lenten season), and we don't feel everyone needs a ton of alcohol at lunch to have a good time.
  • Options
    I agree with all posts above.  It is really weird to tell your guests they can't drink during the reception. I've been to weddings where mimosas were served first, and in both cases there was enough leftover that people continued drinking them throughout the luncheon receptions.  It is really rude to treat your guests like irresponsible children.  If it is that much of a concern, have a dry wedding.  Having a limited bar is also fine, and keep in mind, a responsible bartender will cutoff those that have had too much.  
  • Options
    see all the weddings i've been to people knew how to hold themselves ... I would love to have an open bar at the reception. I really don't want my guest (especially my family & his) to talk about OUR wedding behind our backs. I just want everyone to have fun at the wedding and so does he, but he is very old school and he said people don't have to get "sh** faced" to have a good time,  which i can understand but he has to understand that the people that we are inviting should know how to old their liquor and know their limits and that we should trust them as they are our friends and family, so hopefully him and i can come to an agreement to have an open bar and talk to the bartender and also the staff that will be hosting that night to watch our guests and cut them off when they have enough ... 

thanks ladies for your opinions on this - this isn't my first rodeo on planning a wedding so i know the headaches that come along with planning this special day :) 

~ D 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards