Not Engaged Yet

Work Probation Periods

I'm needing some advice from the more experienced work girls. So I work at a newspaper and magazine (we are melded together) and I have my 3 month probation review tomorrow. Because I'm a journalist, we don't have contracts so tomorrow is an either "we like you and keep you or you're fired" kind of day. It's the only one of its kind as once we reach 6 months, we begin earning time off/personal time/sick days/etc. To sum up, I'm stressed out. I know I shouldn't because I've been doing my job and I seem to be getting positive feedback from my editor, just worried.

Have any of you guys experienced something like this? Any advice for the young in the workplace?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Work Probation Periods

• I have no advice (I'm young in the work place too) but I have vibes! Good luck tomorrow!

• Vibes! I'm young in the workplace as well.
  • @Kait - I've been in the workplace for about 7-8 years now and I know how stressful reviews can be.  Just know that you've been doing your job and have confidence that you've been doing it well.  My only advice would be to take down notes (especially constructive criticism) so you have something to look back to (I find during a review I can be so worried to hear bad news that I can't remember post-review what they said I was doing right/could improve on).  I'm sure you'll be fine.  Good luck!
  • I haven't had to deal with something like that but I hope it goes well! 

• Kait said:
    I'm needing some advice from the more experienced work girls. So I work at a newspaper and magazine (we are melded together) and I have my 3 month probation review tomorrow. Because I'm a journalist, we don't have contracts so tomorrow is an either "we like you and keep you or you're fired" kind of day. It's the only one of its kind as once we reach 6 months, we begin earning time off/personal time/sick days/etc. To sum up, I'm stressed out. I know I shouldn't because I've been doing my job and I seem to be getting positive feedback from my editor, just worried.

Have any of you guys experienced something like this? Any advice for the young in the workplace?
    Good Luck! No advice. I am relatively young, but work in a different field and have not experienced that. It's good to be worried, it means you care. Work hard, it pays off. :)
  • I went through that with my old job after 6 months. It was kind of miserable, and I was terrified. It went well and there were no surprises, but I felt like there could have been since I didn't ever get much feedback from my boss. You'll be fine though :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • @Kait- How did it go?
  • @minskat30 It went well! I passed!

Sorry girls I didn't respond earlier. I got back around 10 p.m. last night from a Board of Education meeting that I had to cover and passed out and today a girlfriend took me out to dinner to celebrate. So happy it's over!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Emmy1493Emmy1493 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    I feel ya! I am in the same spot as well. I didn't know there was a review, though. I feel like I do my job well, as my boss will tell me that. I only called in once, but I had some very serious health issues that morning, and even offered to still come in, however she said it was fine and gave me the day off! Now I just try to do my absolute best and do my job. Glad you did well! Congrats :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Great job!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards