Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

cake or cupcakes

What is everyone doing?I'm trying to decide if I should   do a cake or cupcakes with maybe a small top tier to keep the tradition of cutting a cake with my groom? 

Best Answers

Re: cake or cupcakes

• Options
    I'm doing both.  A two tier cake (small) for the cutting, and then a range of cupcakes to incorporate lots of flavours.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Either or is completely fine. I am an all opportunist of cake :)
  • Options
    I prefer cake :) but either way is perfectly fine. With cupcakes, you can get a  bunch of different varieties so that's always nice. Also no cake cutting fee if your vender makes you pay for one.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We cut a small cake and had cupcakes as the "slices" for our guests. In hindsight, I somewhat regret having the cake b/c we only ate like one bite of it at the reception. We took it home, of course, but we didn't eat any of it for a couple days (there were still some cupcakes left as well, so we were eating those), and then my husband left to go back on the road for work. 

It had been so well-wrapped that when I opened it up, it was still super fresh days later. Aaaaaand then I ended up eating the whole thing myself over the next few days. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Either is okay.  It's just that if you cut a cake, you have to serve cake in some form to the guests that is equal or better in quality to the one you cut.

You can cut a cupcake.
  • Options
    We had what Addie had, a small cake for cutting and then a variety of cupcake flavors for our guests. We didn't eat much of the cake, except for the small piece we cut, at the reception but we of course took it home.  My Mom cut it into slices and then wrapped each slice well and froze them.  After our HM H and I would take a slice or two out of the freezer in the morning to defrost and then we would have a yummy dessert that evening.  We basically did this every day until the cake was gone.  Cake doesn't last long around our home :)

• Options

Either one delights me if it is not chocolate.

imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    We did cheesecake in 2 flavors and also 1 flavor of cupcakes. We didn't do cake cutting, but did feed each other a cupcake.
  • Options
    Either one. I know a lot of people who are all, "CUPCAKES?!! BUT IT'S A WEDDING!" (aka my partner), but the fact of the matter is that cake and frosting are delicious and I will eat both of them whether they are in cake slice form or cupcake form.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options

Make these

For a kid's birthday party those would go over great with Sesame Street/Muppet fans...don't know about a wedding, but those are beautiful.
  • Options
    I think the cupcake trend is so dying out.  I'd rather have a tiered cake in different flavors. 
  • Options
    I think cupcakes are sort of a trend.  I prefer a beautiful cake.
  • Options

Jen4948 said:

Make these

For a kid's birthday party those would go over great with Sesame Street/Muppet fans...don't know about a wedding, but those are beautiful.
    I was vetoed. It would've made my day.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options
    Every wedding should have a muppet somewhere. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    AddieL73 said:
    Agreed. We're strongly considering "Life's a Happy Song" for our recessional because obviously.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    We are doing cupcakes with a small, single layer cake to cut. Who doesn't like cupcakes??

I like cupcakes because they are reasonably priced, and easy to eat. A guest can walk by and grab one whenever they like. 

Not too over the top, but can still be decorated and flavoured nicely. I find a lot of people don't even eat the wedding cake by the end of the night. Last wedding I went to, I had a piece of cake AND a cupcake, because they were cut and set out and no one was touching them. I have no problems eating cake in any form... I also don't like when the cake is fake and guests don't get a piece of the real cake (end up with a piece of fruit cake instead...). 

I like to have a piece of whatever is out on display- whatever that is. Cake, cupcake, pie...whatever! (I SO considered doing wedding pies instead). 
  • Options
    Also, at a formal event I feel like cake is the better, less messy option.  If I was a guest and went to eat a cupcake, I would have to use my hands and might end up getting icing on my nose.
  • Options
    phira said:
    AddieL73 said:
    Agreed. We're strongly considering "Life's a Happy Song" for our recessional because obviously.
    The Rainbow Connection is good too.
  • Options
    I'm walking to Rainbow connection - Instrumental Guitar Version
    imageimageimage

• Options
    As long as its cake an it tastes good we are ok!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    LDubHawksFanLDubHawksFan member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited August 2013

What is everyone doing?I'm trying to decide if I should   do a cake or cupcakes with maybe a small top tier to keep the tradition of cutting a cake with my groom? 

Late to them game.... I love cake in all forms, but I would rather have sliced cake at a wedding. I'm amazingly bad at eating cupcakes without making a mess of my mouth with frosting and shirt with crumbs. If there were still dessert forks at my setting, I would use that. I'm also in the minority who don't LOVE frosting (i like the proportions to be even) and I find cupcakes tend to have a lot more. I do love that you can have more variety with cupcakes though!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards