Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Embarrassed; help?

I recently married the love of my life, the wedding was perfect, and all went well... but one little detail still has me embarrassed. Neither of us had been to a wedding since we were children, so we were really unsure of a lot of the traditions. For some reason, my memory was that the best man is the one to remove the garter... so that's what we did. It was funny, the guy who caught it made a hilarious scene, and I thought it was fine. My mother and aunt told me how strange it was that we did it that way the next day; they had never seen it before. They definitely were judging me over it, and now--weeks later-- I'm seriously obsessing over how stupid I feel about it! Even worse, I know how stupid it is to be ruminating about this, but the memory keeps popping into my head. Was this really a huge faux pas? Has anyone else "messed up" tradition before? I know it's stupid, but support would be great.

Re: Embarrassed; help?

• Everyone makes mistakes and most everyone has some little regret about their wedding. I wish I could give you some hint on how to get over it, but all I have is just a suggestion to focus on what went right. You're married to your wonderful husband. Try to laugh about the little mistake.
  • Congrats on your wedding :)

All you can do about it now is laugh.  There's no sense getting worked up over it at this point.  

Nobody's perfect.  We all make mistakes along the way.

Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I recently married the love of my life, the wedding was perfect, and all went well... but one little detail still has me embarrassed. Neither of us had been to a wedding since we were children, so we were really unsure of a lot of the traditions. For some reason, my memory was that the best man is the one to remove the garter... so that's what we did. It was funny, the guy who caught it made a hilarious scene, and I thought it was fine. My mother and aunt told me how strange it was that we did it that way the next day; they had never seen it before. They definitely were judging me over it, and now--weeks later-- I'm seriously obsessing over how stupid I feel about it! Even worse, I know how stupid it is to be ruminating about this, but the memory keeps popping into my head. Was this really a huge faux pas? Has anyone else "messed up" tradition before? I know it's stupid, but support would be great.
    Congrats on your wedding. I would have thought it was hilarious to see. You didn't break etiquette. It would be a little weird. But let it go.
  • Sure, it's a little nontraditional, but tradition and etiquette don't go hand in hand. You weren't doing anything wrong or offensive with this little oops, so if all parties involved (meaning you, the groom, and the best man) were cool with it, then no harm no foul.

Congrats on your wedding! How was the rest of the day? It may help to AW all the things you did love about it, instead of focusing on this one thing.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm sure people would laugh it off, as you should try to.  There are some lovely memories of your wedding day, I'm sure, so try to focus on them.  Personally though, the idea of anyone other than the groom rooting around the skirt of my dress would feel really inappropriate.
  • Emmy1493Emmy1493 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    Its different, but not unusual. I have heard instances where the bride has a dance with the best man, and the groom dances with MOH. I'm sure people do all different types of things, so I wouldn't sweat it at all. At the end of the day, you are married to your best friend and that's the whole reason for the wedding, right? 

EDIT: Spelling.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I was laughing as soon as I read your post. It's funny, not embarrassing.
    If no one gasped, fainted, or screamed in horror, it wasn't that bad.
    They probably all just thought you guys were joking around or something.

It's really such a minor thing. People remember food, fun, and good times. No one remembers who threw the garter.
  • OMG.  Think of this as a great story to tell your grandkids.  It's really funny.  Smile, laugh, and move on.  It's not a big deal.
  • That's absolutely hilarious.

And ENDEARING, so don't worry.  It's a very funny story, and no worries. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • eh, no big deal- the whole garter toss got started because back in the day the groom's friends would literally tear the clothes off the bride to prove the happy couple consummated the marriage!  I think it's a great and funny twist! 
    I want a love like Johnny & June!
  • You know what? I do remembering a friend from many years ago telling me that they went to a wedding and the best man removed the garter from the bride. Your memories from your childhood could be correct!
  • There is no right or wrong way to have a wedding. You had the wedding you wanted and that represented you and your husband. I personally have never heard of the best man removing the garter but over the years I have been to many weddings and seen "nontraditional" things :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards