Chit Chat

Would you still-Disscuss

Think back to the first time you met your FI or H. Now in that story what if he was severely disabled in some way (no legs, mental retardation, paralyzed from the neck down, deaf, blind, etc, etc,) would you have gone on a second date? how would your life be different? Discuss.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Would you still-Disscuss

• NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    Interesting question. I couldn't make a love connection if he were emotionally or intellectually disabled as that's how I do connect with people. Physical wouldn't be a problem. It's a hard scenario for me honestly, as we met dancing in a bar,
  • Yeah, hard for me too say too if you're talking about the night we first met.  We originally met at a bar when he asked me if my friend and I wanted to play doubles with him and his buddy on their pool table.  That was 16 years ago.  At some point in our history we lost touch for nine years and if, when we reconnected on facebook, he'd had a physical disability it probably wouldn't have made a difference at that point because I already knew and loved him.
  • Maybe not but only because he probably wouldn't be the same person.
    Had I met a guy who HAPPENED to be paralyzed or deaf or whatever? Sure, if I liked him I'd date him.

• My husband actually does have a mental disability. A couple of them actually. I appreciate your thought-provoking post. Now it's got me thinking of how my life would be if he weren't that way.
  • Definitely I would still have gone out with him if he'd had a physical disability. It depends on the mental disability - would we still be able to communicate, share meaningful time together, and each contribute to our life together? If so, then yeah, we would have gone out again.

BF and I were best friends for a year before he asked me out, though, so I like to think that by then I would be able to look past whatever disabilities he had and see him for the wonderful man he is. If we hadn't been friends before dating, I hate to say that I might not have gone out with him, at least initially (that's whether he had a disability or not, btw). Our friendship created so much warmth and trust between us that we really set ourselves up for success with that one, so I can't imagine our relationship without that kind of beginning!
  • We met online and I had no idea what he looked like, so I'm thinking this wouldn't have been an issue for me.
  • I'm not sure.  I think it would have depended on what is disability was.  Physical disabilities would be much easier for me to "get around" with.  That wording sounds wrong, but I can't think of a better way to say it.  I'd have a harder time with a mental or intellectual disability asI think I'd need someone who is on a similar level to myself.  I feel like this whole post is just coming across wrong cos I can't type properly what I'm trying to say

• It wouldn't be an issue for me. My rule for dating was if I liked him and we had a good time together then yes another date would take place.
  • That's kind of difficult for me to answer as well because we met in a professional environment. If it were a physical handicap, probably not, but I couldn't say if he would have been in the "right place, right time" if it were a mental handicap.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards