Students
Options

Any other med students?

sammysalazarsammysalazar member
First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
edited August 2013 in Students
I didn't originally plan it like this- but I am starting med school two weeks before I get married next year!! Does anyone else have any experience with starting/being in med school while planning a wedding/getting married? We found THE PERFECT date for us and since that day I have said "there is no way in hell I am moving my date!" During that time I was busy finishing my B.S. and getting ready to apply to school. I didn't think I would get in the first time I applied so I thought I would start school around our first wedding anniversary, but I did get in and now I'm starting next fall less than 14 days before my wedding! I'm so many things right now- nervous, excited, stressed, hopeful, and overwhelmed!! Where are all my med school brides/new wives?? :)

Re: Any other med students?

• Options
    Congrats! I'm actually a library tech for a med school, but think I can help a bit. We have plenty of students who get married while in med school.

Getting married itself shouldn't be a problem. Most of your major planning will be done by then, and getting married really only takes one day.

I would not, under any circumstances, however, take your honeymoon immediately. You just can't miss a full week in that first month and hope to get caught back up. I'd continue with the wedding as planned, but postpone the honeymoon until the following summer.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    im confused, you are getting married in 2014 and start med school in 2014? i dont mean for this to sound rude but how can you be in the 2014 entering class? 

anywho to answer you question I will be in the 2014 entering class and getting married in 2015 after my first year of med school. im still unsure as to how I will manage all but I have read many stories and it is doable :) best of luck and congrats on both. Feel free to contact me

• Options
    JaniV123 said:
    im confused, you are getting married in 2014 and start med school in 2014? i dont mean for this to sound rude but how can you be in the 2014 entering class? 

anywho to answer you question I will be in the 2014 entering class and getting married in 2015 after my first year of med school. im still unsure as to how I will manage all but I have read many stories and it is doable :) best of luck and congrats on both. Feel free to contact me
    Why is it so difficult to believe she's in the 2014 entering class AND getting married in 2014?

Advice to the OP: Get as much done as possible and keep your FI in tune with your ideas and planning because he will likely have to take over the majority of it once school starts and the wedding is right around the corner.  Finalizing those last minute details takes a lot of time and I know I wouldn't have been able to keep my H's schedule (he's the MS) and do all that I did as a bride.  Keep a folder/binder of wedding plans, contact info, planning timelines, etc and stick to it.  Allow your FI to take the reins at some point and be the one doing the details/craft projects closer to time.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options

JaniV123 said:

Why is it so difficult to believe she's in the 2014 entering class AND getting married in 2014?

Advice to the OP: Get as much done as possible and keep your FI in tune with your ideas and planning because he will likely have to take over the majority of it once school starts and the wedding is right around the corner.  Finalizing those last minute details takes a lot of time and I know I wouldn't have been able to keep my H's schedule (he's the MS) and do all that I did as a bride.  Keep a folder/binder of wedding plans, contact info, planning timelines, etc and stick to it.  Allow your FI to take the reins at some point and be the one doing the details/craft projects closer to time.
    because acceptances for the 2014 entering class are not out yet, applications are in process. it was not in a mean way just that it did not match up from my perspective

• Options
    I'm a M2 Student getting married in December. I think since you are getting married so early in your schedule you should be completely fine you aren't really overlapping it that much at all, just make sure to stay focused in your first two months rather than focusing on your wedding.
  • Options
    MD/PhD student in my first year of grad school getting married in December of next year. Just got engaged so I've been having some serious trouble paying attention to my research. Gotta get back on track and accept that I can't/don't have to plan everything all at once.
  • Options

You've probably already discussed this, but is your FI willing to move anywhere you may match in 4 years?

• Options
    I still have 6 years left, but we've discussed it. Right now, I'm leaning towards the non-surgical residencies (although I think ENT is interesting), and looking to stay mostly east of the Mississippi, in an urban area. My FI is okay with this, but would really like me to stay where we are. It really all depends what I end up wanting to match in. I'd like to go to the best program I can get in to, but my mind might change about that once we have a house and have gotten our roots set. But there's also fellowship after that, so we might be moving around a lot in the next 10-15 years.
  • Options

1 month out from my wedding! Definitely starting to get distracted (definitely thought I failed my last test but thankfully it did not go as badly as I thought!) ONE MORE TEST and then its Wedding time!!

• Options

I am engaged to a first year med student and I am so glad I found this board!! We are getting married the same week as his USMLE step 1 exam and 1 week before his 3rd year starts. He is really interested in helping plan the wedding but he is so busy it makes it hard.  I feel bad when I'm looking at wedding stuff but we don't have time to talk about anything together. I have honestly found that no one "gets it" except those who are in the same situation.

OP: I'm not in med school so I cannot comment much on the stress but I know my FI definitey could not take a week off and still be caught up - he is however also doing MD/MPH so has more classes than your average med student. Just be careful about how you manage your time because med school is such an amazing experence but so is planning a wedding so don't let either get compromised due to the other.

• Options
    JaniV123 said:

JaniV123 said:

because acceptances for the 2014 entering class are not out yet, applications are in process. it was not in a mean way just that it did not match up from my perspective
    Most med schools do rolling admissions with interviews starting in Sept or so and acceptances starting in late fall. I think my first acceptance was Jan of that year and I didn't even get my application out all that early.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not in Med school, but nursing school is the pretty much the same boat... it's HARD, but it is doable. If it were mid-semester I would say I'd reconsider the date, but it's only 2 weeks and most of your planning is done by then. Although just a day for the wedding instead of nose in the book will require a little catch up. Definitely wait on the honeymoon though!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations on your acceptance!!!

I'm an M1 getting married in 6 months (during the summer between M1 and M2, i.e. my last summer). My fiancé and I got engaged in March 2013 and I started school in August 2013. I can absolutely say from experience it is totally doable but try to get as much done as possible BEFORE you start. Sometimes venues and vendors look at you like you have three heads when you try to jump the gun on so many planning details, but once you explain you're in medical school they're all very helpful.

One thing I can suggest is try to (as stressful as it sometimes can be) use wedding planning as a break from school. If I don't get any wedding work done, I find it difficult to concentrate on school without questions popping up in my head. Conversely, if I don't get school work done, I can't focus completely on wedding planning. I've actually found more than anything medical school is about learning balance (between school, life, family)-and I really think simultaneously planning a wedding has helped to discipline me a little quicker than I would otherwise expect. You can't spend every day thinking how good it will be in 6 years, you have to enjoy the ride too!

Best of luck to you!
  • Options
    I'm an M4, getting married in April. Plenty of my friends have gotten married throughout the last four years. If you aren't in med school yet, you need to attempt to prepare yourself for the most studying you have ever done. Carve out an hour a day to just spend with your fiance/husband and don't let anything get in the way of that. I have done long distance for the past four years, so it is definitely doable. If anyone wants any other insight, let me know.
  • Options
    Just an FYI from a current M1: getting married will be possible.... but keep in mind you may not pull phenomenal or passing grades on at least those particular block exams. I think its completely possible to pass and have the wedding - but med school is a whole new level of studying. It will take all of your concentration, not leaving much those last couple of weeks. If you are on-task enough to plan every last detail before you start school, great. If you know yourself and are concerned of possibly being distracted by wedding details in those last two weeks, detracting from your studies, maybe consider a 'day of' wedding consultant? they'll take care of the details so you won't stress, and i think you can get them for under 1k generally. 

Best of luck with your medical school career, and congratulations on your engagement :) i'm sure 2014 is a year you won't forget. 
  • Options
    M3 getting married to another M3 at my school 2 weeks after graduation in May 2015. Every now and then I start to feel a little overwhelmed by the process of not only planning a wedding over the next year but applying and interviewing for residencies too! And couples matching! And the costs of both! O_O Would appreciate any general advice on staying afloat over the next year from those who were roughly on the same timetable...
  • Options
    I start medical school at the end of next month and I must say I am GLAD i was proposed to in February so I can get most of the planning out of the way like many of you have stated. However my wedding is in September. I feel like I am going to be overwhelmed with learning to juggle my study schedule and still attend/plan the showers/parties. If anyone else was married in the middle of medical school let me know if you have any tips :)
  • Options
    irish - You can do it! I got engaged in December of 3rd year, Married April of 4th year and have now graduated. Best advice I can give is to set limits on the amount of time you spend wedding planning. Try to limit it to a certain amount of time daily and stick to it. I did all of this while in a long distance (700 miles) relationship, so it can be done. I would advise to get done the big things as soon as you can and if you have a vacation week or a free weekend after a shelf exam, hammer out the big things (officiant, DJ, photographer, venue, catering). Everything else can wait and get done piecemeal. Don't stress about details, in the end they don't matter. You need to pass 3rd and 4th year (which is probably more important than how the programs look). If you have any other questions, I can try to help.
  • Options
    Thanks @pamglennon! We just booked our church, officiant, and reception venue in the last week (exhausted!) and I'm looking forward now to taking a little break from wedding planning to do my BIG 4th year electives :) Told my mom I don't even want to THINK about dresses, flowers, etc until September 1st at this point, lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards