Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wording Advice

My ceremony and part of my "cocktail" hour, which includes games for the youngsters/those who want to participate, takes place on grassy areas and to get to the site there is a very short walking trail of packed, flat earth (we will have shuttles available for those who can't/don't want to walk). I want to add something to my website about the terrain and what shoes may be appropriate. I'm just not sure how to word it. Should I just mention the grassy areas and assume people will fill in the blanks about what shoes to wear? I only ask because I've been to plenty of outdoor weddings where the bridesmaids and guests (who were fully aware of the venue and encouraged to wear flats/wedges) wore spiked heals anyway and looked frustrated all day sinking into the grass. Even I am guilty of showing up in the wrong shoes just because I forgot to put two and two together after being warned about grass. What would all of you say in this circumstance? I don't want to be rude or presumptious here even though it is a minor detail.

Visit The Knot!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wording Advice

• Options
    On the invitation when you mention the ceremony location I would simply mention something along the lines of "on the lawn of" i.e. " Ceremony on the lawn of XYZ house".  While it would be nice to save people from themselves, I think you would also agree that if you were told that the ceremony was on grass, chose to wear stilettos then had a hard time walking, that it was your own fault, and I wouldn't blame the bride.  You could also put it on your website or a separate insert "the ceremony and part of the reception will take place on soft earth (grass, a walking path).  Please keep this in mind when you are choosing your shoes."
  • Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited August 2013
    Unless its truly a garden wedding, I would not put anything on the invitation. I would never put anything about guests' attire on my website. That said, put the lawn games info on your website, along with other descriptors of your venue. On your website, mention too that there will be a shuttle for those unable to navigate the path between the ceremony and reception. Spread the info via word of mouth as well. It's only presumptuous or rude if you address their attire, not so if you only describe your venue.
  • Options

My ceremony and part of my "cocktail" hour, which includes games for the youngsters/those who want to participate, takes place on grassy areas and to get to the site there is a very short walking trail of packed, flat earth (we will have shuttles available for those who can't/don't want to walk). I want to add something to my website about the terrain and what shoes may be appropriate. I'm just not sure how to word it. Should I just mention the grassy areas and assume people will fill in the blanks about what shoes to wear? Yes. I only ask because I've been to plenty of outdoor weddings where the bridesmaids and guests (who were fully aware of the venue and encouraged to wear flats/wedges) wore spiked heals anyway and looked frustrated all day sinking into the grass. Even I am guilty of showing up in the wrong shoes just because I forgot to put two and two together after being warned about grass. What would all of you say in this circumstance? I don't want to be rude or presumptious here even though it is a minor detail.

Put it on your website and list the URL on the info insert in your invitations. If people wear the "wrong" shoes, you have a back up plan - the shuttle. That's plenty.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards