Chit Chat

Not Wedding Related - Mini Rant

First of all, I am not trying to make a big deal or anything. I just wanted to hear what you wonderful ladies thought of this. 

Also, keep in mind I am allergic to onions.

I walked to Subway (its 2 blocks from my house) since they have the $4.00 deal. Anyway, the 2 people in front of me in line had onions put on their subs. No big deal - people can eat what the want. Lol.

What kind of bugged first though me is that the lady making the subs did not change her gloves in between these 2 people. The 2 people were not together either. Neither of those 2 people said anything so I let it go. But when it came my turn I politely asked the lady to change her gloves since I was allergic to onions by asking "Will you please change your gloves, I am allergic to onions?" (There were also bits of onions on her gloves too) She just looked at me for a second, sighed and rolled her eyes as she went to change her gloves. When she came back I thanked her for doing that and said I appreciated it. No response.

Anyway, I paid for my sub and drink. As I was filling my drink I heard her mutter "spoiled bitch" under her breath.

Like I said. Don't want to make a big deal out of it. Just slightly annoyed me that she would act like that. Thanks for listening!

Re: Not Wedding Related - Mini Rant

• @ aliciaharrison 

Thanks! Glad to know I am not the only one who would have said something. Also, its not like it was busy, There were the 2 people in line in front of me, myself and 1 person sitting down.
  • @aliciaharrison

Thanks! Glad to know I am not the only one who would have said something. Also, its not like it was busy, There were the 2 people in line in front of me, myself and 1 person sitting down.
  • Ditto @aliciaharrison -- once I heard what she said, I would have demanded to speak to her manager ASAP, and I would have told him what had happened and asked him how he planned to handle the situation. I wouldn't have been mean or rude, but I would have been very, very clear about my expectations.
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • So far I have sent a written complaint to corporate which is also going to be forwarded to the owner. I would have talked to someone on the phone but it was after business hours. Also, I called the store and there was no manager there at the time. So I will call in the morning. The more I think about it, everyone is right. I should say something to them.
  • I am really allergic to tomatoes. I ask them to change their gloves even if I didn't witness them use those gloves on tomatoes. You can never be too safe with allergies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow! That's really horrible. I'm really glad you've said something!

• I was looking for a nice gif for this, but i could not find one. But yeah. Call that bitch out!! It takes like 5 seconds to change your gloves. Bet you subway wasn't even busy.
    Chuck Norris says this one is appropriate.
  • Are they supposed to change gloves between customers? When I worked at a deli in high school, we only had to change our gloves when getting meat from the kosher cooler. I certainly wouldn't complain if someone asked me to change them, of course.
    Anniversary
  • I've noticed that too!  Sometimes when they handle peppers a few guests in front of me I can taste it on my sandwich. *ick* If I wanted to taste banana peppers, I would've asked for them.  Good on you for taking it up with the company!  Just imagine if you hadn't noticed and been served onion pieces from her gloves...
  • I would absolutely be calling the manager and telling them what happened. People get away with stuff like this because too many people let it go, I think. 
  • ashleyep said:
    Are they supposed to change gloves between customers? When I worked at a deli in high school, we only had to change our gloves when getting meat from the kosher cooler. I certainly wouldn't complain if someone asked me to change them, of course.
    Subway was my first job ever. When I worked there, we were told to change gloves only if we handled anything other than food in a pair (i.e., opening a refrigerator door to restock something while making someone's sub) or if the pair we were wearing became soiled/torn (i.e., covered in sauce). 

OP, you did the right thing by requesting that the employee change her gloves. She did the wrong thing by being a complete hooker and badmouthing you. I'd immediately phone the store and speak directly to a manager about your experience. 
  • hlvonb said:
    First of all, I am not trying to make a big deal or anything. I just wanted to hear what you wonderful ladies thought of this. 

Also, keep in mind I am allergic to onions.

I walked to Subway (its 2 blocks from my house) since they have the $4.00 deal. Anyway, the 2 people in front of me in line had onions put on their subs. No big deal - people can eat what the want. Lol.

What kind of bugged first though me is that the lady making the subs did not change her gloves in between these 2 people. The 2 people were not together either. Neither of those 2 people said anything so I let it go. But when it came my turn I politely asked the lady to change her gloves since I was allergic to onions by asking "Will you please change your gloves, I am allergic to onions?" (There were also bits of onions on her gloves too) She just looked at me for a second, sighed and rolled her eyes as she went to change her gloves. When she came back I thanked her for doing that and said I appreciated it. No response.

Anyway, I paid for my sub and drink. As I was filling my drink I heard her mutter "spoiled bitch" under her breath.

Like I said. Don't want to make a big deal out of it. Just slightly annoyed me that she would act like that. Thanks for listening!
    That's so not cool. I'd write an email or make a comment via their website. She was rude, not very good customer service.
  • I would have written in as well
    Anniversary
  • That's awful. I've run into a lot of situations lately where people don't get how serious allergies are, and I'm getting fed up with it. That employee should be let go. That may sound harsh, but I'll stand by it.
  • I used to work in a restaurant with the same type of setup as Subway.  We were made to change our gloves when working with common allergens such as peanut butter or other nuts (we also had to sanitize our counters after this) and whenever a customer requested that we did usually because of religion or vegetarian/vegan lifestyle.  I never once thought to complain when a customer asked me to change my gloves, which actually did happen quite often, I usually changed them every couple of sandwiches anyway.  If I had ever treated a customer with such disrespect my boss would have fired me on the spot and I wouldn't have blamed her!
  • At Panera (which is an awful place do not eat there) when we made the PB & J, We had to double glove, lay down wax paper on the board, make the PB&J, (the PB had its own special knife) place it on the tray as we yelled PB coming through!! Throw away said wax paper & gloves. Sanitize board where wax paper was, then wash hands. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks everyone. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who would have done what I did. So far, I have both called and emailed customer service. I posted a status on Facebook, a tweet on Twitter and called the manager. I also made a review on Yelp as someone on Facebook had suggested. I really hope this lady does not get away with it.
  • kjlamb said:
    At Panera (which is an awful place do not eat there) when we made the PB & J, We had to double glove, lay down wax paper on the board, make the PB&J, (the PB had its own special knife) place it on the tray as we yelled PB coming through!! Throw away said wax paper & gloves. Sanitize board where wax paper was, then wash hands. 
    But..but.. I love their bagels. They have a cinammon toast one that is so good.
  • kjlamb said:
    At Panera (which is an awful place do not eat there) when we made the PB & J, We had to double glove, lay down wax paper on the board, make the PB&J, (the PB had its own special knife) place it on the tray as we yelled PB coming through!! Throw away said wax paper & gloves. Sanitize board where wax paper was, then wash hands. 
    Panera has good food. The work experience may suck (from what I have heard) but their food is fine... in my opinion
  • Working at Panera sucked more than eating the strawberry "cake" at the office the other day! I know, shocking. I was in the front, but they were so particular about every freaking thing that the whole PB&J thing doesn't surprise me. They were horrible employers, but they sure do make a good freaking Turkey Bravo. 
  • Panera is delicious.

Anyway, I once worked in a place where literally dozens of people had to change gloves and/or wash hands all at once when ONE meal was being prepared to accommodate an allergy request. It took all of two minutes and it was NBD. It's part of the job to prepare a satisfactory meal to a guest. If the guest becomes sick after eating the meal, then you weren't properly successful.
  • One of my BFFs works at Panera. She said she's comfortable with the overall food safety and quality, but advised me as a nut-allergic person to be careful about their salads. Apparently they store the tree nuts right above other non-nut ingredients and they can easily spill in. No problem for me, I like an unhealthy bread bowl of soup when I go there :)
  • I always get grief about my strawberry/raspberry allergy.  If ordering dessert out that might come with some type of berry drizzled on the dish I always ask for it to be berry free. 9 times out of 10 it comes with something on it and I have to send it back. 

I love both types of berries and I'm not trying to be a picky pain in the ass but eating them isn't worth the trip to the ER.

I'm glad you made a complaint.  I would do the same.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not allergy related, but still food prep...

My mother and I are the least liked people at the deli counter at our local grocery stores. Not because we're nasty. It's because everyone behind the counter knows people waiting to place and order, and will come out, give these people hugs, and not change their gloves! Or they will absentmindedly touch their glasses and then ask to take our order.

We politely ask them to change gloves, pointing out they touched something they shouldn't have with gloves on. When they get huffy and offended, my mother's favorite response is to mention she's an nurse and their actions are akin to a surgeon reaching under his mask mid-procedure,scratch his nose, and then put the now unsanitized glove back into someone's body. That generally stops them cold and they switch gloves!

Seriously, 5 seconds of glove change is not worth me getting any germ you or that person you just touched might have on food I'm paying for!

• Thank you everyone for your responses and stories!

• I called their corporate office to issue a complaint for being treated in a similar manner. They had the store owner call me to correct the situation. I don't care what your field of work is, people need to act professionally or let someone who will have the job.
  • Good for you for contacting management and head office.  It is very much not worth you potentially needing a trip to the ER.  Regardless of how allergic you are (for example, not too allergic), it can always become anaphylactic, and you don't want to find out because she couldn't be bothered to change her gloves.  She should have also actually used another layer of protection-wax paper, or something similar-because it can get transferred from the cutting board.  Good luck, I hope you get some satisfaction from the management
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards