African American Weddings
Options

What exactly is an African-American Themed Wedding?

I have been using TheKnot for a few months now but I only realized tonight that there is an African-American wedding category.

There isn't any particular type of clothing or decoration that would differentiate the wedding as would be the case with other nationalities (such as China, India, etc.). Am I the only one who thinks it strange that when you look at the photos in the "Real Weddings" section that the only distinction for the African-American wedding "category" is that the bride and groom are black? A bride and groom getting married on the beach; or in a garden; or in a church who simply happen to be black is labeled "African-American" wedding. (An important note that it is only when both the bride and groom are both black that this label applies.)<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

What am I missing? Not wanting to stir up trouble, am just truly confused by this...

Re: What exactly is an African-American Themed Wedding?

• Options
    African American is not a "nationality", it's a race or culture. As for your other questions... If you have to ask...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    M1ssJ said:
    @aacrisp1 African-American is a broad encompassing term that includes many minorities of a darker hue in the American culture. This board includes, but is not limited to, women of Caribbean heritage, African heritage, American heritage as well as those of any race marrying an African-American. We have several board members in interracial relationships. This board celebrates the cultural similarities and differences that can come with belonging to this culture. But foremost we are a group of women who support each other through this planning process regardless of color , tradition, and cultural affiliation. I hope this answers your questions! Please jump in and join us.
    On the 50th Anniversary.   Well said Doctah!
  • Options

Thank you for your responses! 

I understand that African-American is not a nationality which is why I was making the observation that the classification was being made purely based on race.  In the photos, the African-American categorized weddings didn't reflect the Carribean theme, African theme, etc. just black couples. 

The point of having classifications is to help guide your search through the photos that are there to inspire and admire based on the specific style\theme choice but...nonetheless, all the photos are wonderful with beautiful brides featured in each and every one!

Celebrating 50 years!  And all should celebrate their cultural differences but be mindful that there is a definite distinction between race and culture...

Best Wishes in your planning!

• Options
    @M1ssJ- So well explained. Great response.......

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ACCRISP1 said:

Thank you for your responses! 

I understand that African-American is not a nationality which is why I was making the observation that the classification was being made purely based on race.  In the photos, the African-American categorized weddings didn't reflect the Carribean theme, African theme, etc. just black couples. 

The point of having classifications is to help guide your search through the photos that are there to inspire and admire based on the specific style\theme choice but...nonetheless, all the photos are wonderful with beautiful brides featured in each and every one!

Celebrating 50 years!  And all should celebrate their cultural differences but be mindful that there is a definite distinction between race and culture...

Best Wishes in your planning!

black folks know there is a distinct difference we live it every day 
    smh 
    "Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich~
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Same to you @accrisp1 it's not a theme that would be reflected in decor. It's a shared experience that would be felt in attending.

I tried @sultryzulu @soontobemrsjay I didnt want this to go left lol
    577906 10151197172303105 844768324 n Follow Me on Pinterest www.shoplovelivelearn.blogspot.com Anniversary
  • Options
  • Options
    misstira said:
    Good job @M1ssJ

This 100%

Daisypath - (PNE7)
  • Options
    M1ssJ said:
    Same to you @accrisp1 it's not a theme that would be reflected in decor. It's a shared experience that would be felt in attending.

I tried @sultryzulu @soontobemrsjay I didnt want this to go left lol
    Exactly!  Well said, J.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Simply Fabulous!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards