Students
Options

How getting married changes financial aid

Hey fellow student brides!

I was wondering if anyone had links or info sources where I can read up on how getting married will change my financial aid eligibility, etc.

Thanks!

Re: How getting married changes financial aid

• Options
    I was kind of wondering this too. I will go from being an independent with almost no taxable income to being married to someone with a decent salary, so I'm kind of worried. 
  • Options
    FiancB said:
    I was kind of wondering this too. I will go from being an independent with almost no taxable income to being married to someone with a decent salary, so I'm kind of worried. 
    Well, that decent salary can help pay for your schooling and you can stop relying on the gov't/Americans to pay for your education.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options
    FiancB said:
    Well, that decent salary can help pay for your schooling and you can stop relying on the gov't/Americans to pay for your education.

Wow that is a pretty intense reaction. A "decent salary" for 1 person doesn't always cover the living needs of 2 people and school. And this is coming from someone that gets no financial aid and can't stand the way financial aid is doled out in my state.

• Options
    staar987 said:
    FiancB said:

Wow that is a pretty intense reaction. A "decent salary" for 1 person doesn't always cover the living needs of 2 people and school. And this is coming from someone that gets no financial aid and can't stand the way financial aid is doled out in my state.
    And my reply was from someone who used to work in financial aid and was so sick of the entitlement people thought they had to money from the government.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Options

Yeah I'm with @elBecko on this. I don't have any experience with the financial aid office since, like I said, I don't receive any. Do some people act entitled to getting all their school paid for? Yes. I am in a school transfer FB group and am so tired of hearing all the people complaining that they have to pay for their food because their aid doesn't cover it. It annoys the shit out of me. But to say all people are that way is ridiculous. I know just as many people who are so grateful to the financial aid they receive. They do work study, volunteer with the school, and do research that brings money to the university to help give back.

It is horrible to assume that all people, PP included, feel entitled to their financial aid.

• Options
    FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2013

Well somebody's got their cranky pants on today. I said decent, not filthy rich. He's a high school teacher for chrissakes. 

I use aid for tuition only. I sold my truck for an extra cushion. I work to pay for everything else and really pinch my pennies so that I'm already making payments to lower the impact of interest. Due to previous schooling and the cohort nature of my program, I will probably have to drop down to part time for a couple terms during which I'll be paying out of pocket.And it's not like I'm getting a full ride scholarship because I'm a special little snowflake- I'm aware that I need to pay the money back, with interest. 

You should probably switch your signature from Gandhi to someone a bit more quick to judge like yourself. Maybe Ann Coulter would suit your style a little better. 
  • Options
    Wow! I didn't mean to start such a commotion! I think I'll just take @elBecko's advice and call my financial aid advisor....LOL 
  • Options
    Sorry for the derail @sarahtrg ! I thought it was acceptable to echo similar concerns... I guess not, LOL. I hope your advisor can give some insight.
  • Options
    FiancB said:
    Wow, that's a very presumptuous reaction! Taking out loans that will later be repaid isn't relying on anyone else to pay for your education.  Also, if her FI is a high school teacher, he probably doesn't make enough to cover living expenses plus her tuition.  She may still need financial aid.
  • Options
    Is there someone in your schools financial office that you can go talk to about this? I'm sure they deal with this type of stuff all the time and can tell you maybe not specifics on exactley how much it will affect you, but give you a general idea so that way you will know if financially you will be better off waiting for the wedding to get the most help financially with school.
  • Options
    I was previously a dependent and my parent's combined income was around $120,000 so my expected family contribution was my complete tuition. My parents had no plans to help me pay for school, so I took out loans to cover the entire cost of schooling for my first two years.

Since marriage though, my expected family contribution has dropped considerably. In turn, I've received financial aid for the first time in my life and have been able to afford everything I need for school.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone was questioning this, but let's say you're like my fiance and I. We're getting married in December, neither one of ours financial aid will change, but our income tax in Feb 2014 will. When we file for FAFSA for the 2014-15, it will change. 
    Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The aid will carry over for the rest of the school year. When you file your next ffasa you'll add changes. So say you get married in October you are entitled to the awards for the spring semester too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards