Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Honeymoon invite

After taking advice of a close friend which cruise to take for our honeymoon, I got the following email: " Hope you don't mind if we tag along on your cruise.  We don't want to share your cabin, but we think cruises are always more fun with more people."  I've already said "no" but they are booking anyway and we have already paid.  I can't believe this, I don't want to spend my honeymoon trying to avoid this couple.  Help!

Re: Honeymoon invite

• Options
    RJD5RJD5 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    That's so rude. I'm so sorry. Unfortunately, there's really not much you can do as far as I know. I'm sorry :(
  • Options
    I would try to change which cruise I was on, even if it meant eating a deposit/some money, to avoid that. Can you book a different cruise through the same line, perhaps explain what happened?
  • Options
    That's so weird that they still booked in order to hang out with you after you said "no."
  • Options
    I would call the cruise line and see what could be done. Or I would eat the deposit. That is really weird. 
  • Options
    Why on earth would someone want to tag along on your honeymoon? I would see if maybe you could switch cruises with the company, that's just weird.
  • Options
    Definitely call the cruise line and explain the situation. If they make you lose your deposit, I think it's worth losing the deposit to have your own private honeymoon. I can't imagine having such rude and insufferable friends!
  • Options
    Wow - inappropriate much?

I agree with PPs - call the cruise line and see if there is any way you can switch to a different ship, set of dates, etc.
  • Options
    If you can't change your cruise (if you're wanting to), I'd just decline to hang out with them much on the cruise.  You can sweetly tell them that you're going to have sex with your new husband and disappear for a bit!!  ;)

• Options
    jmsdca said:
    After taking advice of a close friend which cruise to take for our honeymoon, I got the following email: " Hope you don't mind if we tag along on your cruise.  We don't want to share your cabin, but we think cruises are always more fun with more people."  I've already said "no" but they are booking anyway and we have already paid.  I can't believe this, I don't want to spend my honeymoon trying to avoid this couple.  Help!
    Wow. Are you sure there isn't some kind of incentive for them, like a timeshare deal? That's crazy. I definitely hope you can change your plans.
  • Options
    I would totally change cruises and let them find out when they board.  I'm not sure if they're stupid, clueless, or purposely being rude here.  That takes the cake. 
  • Options
    I agree with PP.  Call the cruiseline and see if you can switch ships.  They might be willing to be lenient with you and let you transfer your deposit or just pay a small fee for altering the itinerary like some airlines do.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    OMG- rude! And kind of creepy! Who wants to hang out with some fresh newlyweds? :P

I might keep the cruise (unless you can easily switch ships/dates) but openly tell the friends that you and hubby are going to spend the time ALONE. By yourselves. No friends. No one else. Just no. 

• Options
    That is completely insane! Reminds me of an extended family member whose mother went with them on their honeymoon, BUT, my cousin invited her (she declined many times at first *because* it was a honeymoon, but he insisted). They went on an African Safari, it was with a group of 20 random other people, and it had been his mother's dream to go to Africa, and my cousin was lucky enough in his career that he was easily able to afford for his mother and her long-time boyfriend to "tag along". They barely hung out with the bride and groom...

Still...it's just weird to go on vacation with a honeymooning couple....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
     I would definitely change my cruise and no tell them. FI and I considered a destination wedding but when his family mentioned that they would stay at the resort the whole following week (when our honeymoon would be) I quickly nixed the idea.
  • Options
    I'd call and explain the situation and see if you can just change the cruise. On all the cruises I've been on, I've run into the same people multiple times. Granted, I wasn't on the biggest ship out there, but it was a pretty hefty size. It's frickin' weird for someone to want to tag along on your honeymoon.
  • Options
    I am agog!  Of all the holidays *not* to crash, surely the honeymoon is number 1?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    /shrug.... I guess I'm the only one okay with this... We're doing a beach honeymoon and I'd be more than happy if anyone tagged along (different hotel rooms, not right next to each other) I would love it. But anyways, I'd just avoid them when you want to.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    That sounds weird. I would try to change the dates too. This happened to my FSIL and her in laws. They ended up waiting a week after their wedding to go to avoid seeing them at the same resort that her in laws decided to book after finding out where they would be honeymooning.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    It's a big ship. You're right to be annoyed, but honestly, you probably won't really run into them. And if and when you do just tell them you'll be happy to make dinner plans once you finish spending quality, alone time on your honeymoon together. 
  • Options
    Is there a Miss Manners type column in your local newspaper?  Send this story to them.  When it gets published, put it on your Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to at least make your "friend" see it.  I'm not one for public shaming, but your "friend" has serious balls.  And maybe a stalker complex to follow you on your honeymoon.
  • Options
    ItsthevixItsthevix member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2013
    Tell her, "You're joking, right? :) We love you guys, but this isn't a vacation, it's our HONEYMOON. Our friends are great, but this is OUR time alone together, and we are really looking forward to it."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards