Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Small, Quick, Hindu Wedding?

Maybe I sound like an oxymoron, but I want to have a small (<30 people), quick (max 30 minutes) hindu ceremony followed by a nice Indian dinner and drinks. I know this is very non-traditional, but it follows more in line with our personalities (with my partner being non-Indian). With such a small guest list, cost isn't a major concern, so I want a good time for all guests and great pictures. Any ideas from the community would be greatly appreciated!

My biggest concerns are the following:

1. Would a hindu priest be willing to conduct such a short ceremony?
  2. Can I have a ceremony without going through all the formalities of having a mandap? This would be a big hassle for such a short ceremony, especially if being held at an isolated location.
  3. Any thoughts on non-traditional venues? I'm considering wineries and parks.
Thanks!

Re: Small, Quick, Hindu Wedding?

• Options
    There's a South Asian Wedding board (look to your left) that can probably help you.

Or consult your spiritual leader/minister.
  • Options
    I've never heard of such a thing!  Aren't they normally like 500+ people? :D  Good luck my darling!
  • Options
    NCJWNCJW member
    First Comment

I would recommend having the ceremony at a temple - it is the most no frills way to do it.  I am getting married in a temple in Queens.  The entire ceremony will take 1.5 hours. Since it is happening in a temple, there is no need for a mandap. 

If you don't go the temple route, then you have to do the mandap:(

• Options
    My sister did an Indian wedding and the ceremony was about 45 mins.  I'm not sure they could have made it much shorter without cutting out significant rituals, but I would contact some hindu priests and ask about it.  I bet they do this stuff a lot for mixed marriages.

Not sure if the Mandap is required either.  Ask the priest.  You might be able to make something for cheaper than renting it.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards