• Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Wedding Woes

what is the term for...

PirateBarbiePirateBarbie member
250 Love Its 100 Comments First Answer Name Dropper
edited September 2013 in Wedding Woes
what do you call "school" for 3-4 yo children that are too young for kindergarten?

what is the term for... 31 votes

preschool
80% 25 votes
pre-k
9% 3 votes
jr. pre-k
3% 1 vote
ron paul
6% 2 votes

Re: what is the term for...

• DD1 calls it school.  If I am talking to other adults about it, it's preschool or school but pre-k isn't uncommon.

I've never heard of jr. pre-k.

• when I taught it was preschool up to the 2-3 group. Pre-k for 4-5, K for 5-6.
    LakeR2014
  • i think preschool is most common, but i've heard pre-k in reference to kids that are 4/5 and will be starting kindergarten in the next school year. I also thought this was generally a half day program run by the districts geared towards getting kids used to a full day K.

FB friend posted about her kids starting pre-K (he's 4, will be 5 in Dec. so this made sense) and "jr. pre-k" (she just turned 3 in July). 

i was like... "jr. pre-k = preschool?" 
  • I've heard preschool or pre-k.  If I was calling 6let's pre-k I could see myself using the term jr. pre-k to something M2 might be doing.
  • Ron Paul: why are 3 y olds in school? 

(Obviously, I am not a fan of preschool. But that's probably what I'd call it.) 
  • AuntFloAuntFlo member
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 500 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    DD was 3 when she started preschool in Sept last year and turned 4 in Nov.  She won't go to kindergarten until Aug 2014.  We called it preschool last year and we call it preschool this year.  There isn't a whole lot of difference between this year and last year besides we are choosing to send her for an extra day a week.  Same curriculum - if you can even call it that for 6-9 hours a week - and she'll be in a class with the same "almost 5 year olds" as last year.  (What I mean is, they don't put almost 5 year olds in a class with 3 year olds.)
    My opinion on the whole thing is that anything before 3 1/2 is day care, not preschool.
    Bacon - I could give or take preschool.  If we had to pay for it, we probably wouldn't send her.  BUT as an only child I would feel bad if she didn't get to hang out with some kids for a few hours a week. 
  • Anything that's before a kid would enter kindergarten is preschool, IMO.  They can call it pre-K or pre-pre-K or something else that's cutesy, but it's preschool...as in before they start a 'formal' education (be it public/private/home school/etc).
  • our daycare is an accredited school - and goes (4? 6?) weeks through private K for full-day programs. they have a full curriculum for all age groups - so it goes way beyond baby jail. they start teaching sign language in the infant rooms, and advance kids based on age and abilities. sure they play - but it's educational.

Wolverine is transitioning into their "preschool" program, (officially as of next week). Most of the kids in her class are 3+ (she'll be 3 in November), all are 100% potty trained during the day (no pull-ups allowed), and they meet a specific set of requirements. 

I really like the program structure for Wolverine because I think it's giving her an advantage. She's a smart kid, and I'm happy that they realize that and are giving her things to challenge her. It probably isn't ideal for all kids, but it's working well for us. 
  • @auntflo- I  was pleasantly surprised with how different our 4/5 program was from the 3 program.  They do science and math and graphing skills on top of reading and writing and art. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards