Chit Chat
Options

"Woe, is me" complaints go here.

So as I sit here at work with nothing to do (a daily occurrence unfortunately), I have time to reflect back on the amount of time, energy and money I gave in my 6 years of college to get my degree only to end up in a not so stable job doing absolutely nothing all day long.  Because of my less then stellar job that I am at for 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, my mood is less then happy.  I seriously hate getting up every M-F morning.  And the only thing I look forward to all day is leaving at 5pm.  I wish my job was more fulfilling.  It doesn't have to be completely fulfilling, I mean I would take 10% over the nothing that it currently is.  I would quit today if I could, but damn those pesky monthly bills and the fact that I would still like to keep the roof over my and H's head.  So here I sit, hating life for 9 hours and applying to jobs in hopes that I can find something that will make me slightly less miserable.

Okay, I am off to go get some cheese to eat with my "whine" and maybe a huge chocolate bar as well.

Anyone else have any "woe, is me" complaints?  Please don't make me feel like I am the only one out there!

Re: "Woe, is me" complaints go here.

• Options
    I had a job like that and it is exhausting.  Sometimes pretending to be busy is more tiring than actually working all day.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    I had a job like that and it is exhausting.  Sometimes pretending to be busy is more tiring than actually working all day.
    Can I get an amen

My H always asks why I am so tired when I get home since all I do is sit all day.  He can't understand how mentally draining it is to do nothing all day except stare at a computer screen.  Some days I seriously get to the point where I want to get up and scream just to have something different to do.

• Options
    Maggie - those types of jobs are always temporary. It's hard to be patient when it sucks, but you will find something better.

Woe is me that we are having drainage issues in our backyard. H is an engineer and wants to fix everything himself. I should be happy that he's capable and saving us thousands of dollars, but I just want to hang out with him. If that's not a first world bride problem I don't know what is.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I love my job; I just get so irritated with the people. I am a caption editor for a closed captioning company. My position requires me to be 100% focused in order to do my job right, and no one else in the office understands that except the other caption editor. Everyone else is sales or IT or something, so all of them are always loud and obnoxious. We just need it quiet! It's a daily source of frustration for me.

Also, today, I'm just so sick of the heat. It should never be 100+ degrees in Southern California for 3 weeks straight.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @RedJacks25 then you would love my office building.  It is seriously dead quiet about 95% of the time.  The only time when people start getting a bit loud is around 4pm because it is almost quitting time.  It is also helpful that our company has a IM system on our computers so people don't get up and talk to each other anymore, we just sit and have convos over IM.

And you live in So Cal?  I am a bit jealous.  I would love to live out there and away from our awful humidity.  I can deal with hot, but humid, no way.

@southernbelle0915 - i have been at this job for almost 5 years.  the bad thing is around my parts you either work for the government or you are a contractor for the government.  so there isn't much else to choose from that pays just as well.  Most days I can deal but there are some days, like today, where it just sucks butt!

And backyard drainage issues are the worst!  My parents had a problem like that with their old house.  Our backyard sloped towards the house so every time it rained a decent amount we would be in our basement on "flood patrol".

• Options
    Maggie - those types of jobs are always temporary. It's hard to be patient when it sucks, but you will find something better.

Woe is me that we are having drainage issues in our backyard. H is an engineer and wants to fix everything himself. I should be happy that he's capable and saving us thousands of dollars, but I just want to hang out with him. If that's not a first world bride problem I don't know what is.

Same here! Actually, we're both engineers, but I'm the type that thinks time is money. I pay when I want something done because I'd rather spend my time doing thinks I enjoy; he thinks he can fix everything himself and spends every weekend tinkering with things. I drew a huge line this past week when several roof tiles fell off of his rental property from a storm. Instead of wanting to call a roofer,he suggested that he should fix them. Um, yeah, if you want to fall and kill yourself!!!!

I guess my work "woe is me" is that I'm too busy. Yeah- I'm on TK right now, but I am actually doing 2-3 things at the same time all of the time. LOL

• Options
    I love my job; I just get so irritated with the people. I am a caption editor for a closed captioning company. My position requires me to be 100% focused in order to do my job right, and no one else in the office understands that except the other caption editor. Everyone else is sales or IT or something, so all of them are always loud and obnoxious. We just need it quiet! It's a daily source of frustration for me.

Also, today, I'm just so sick of the heat. It should never be 100+ degrees in Southern California for 3 weeks straight.
    Any chance you can get your company to get you some noise cancelling headphones?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ashleyep said:

Any chance you can get your company to get you some noise cancelling headphones?
    Nope. They just bought me "superior" headphones instead. But their solution to the noise problem was to put me and the other caption editor in the supply closet to keep us away from some of the noise. But we're in an office of about 50'x20', so being 3 feet away in the supply closet doesn't really do much good.

Luckily, they've been talking about also leasing the office next to ours, and it's assumed that we who need quiet will be the ones moving over there. Hopefully!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Where to begin....

Well my job is blah (they're on a firing spree but then complain they don't have enough employees)  but oh well. A guy who works with my FI is trying to get him fired (supposedly because my FI doesn't work hard enough for his standards and no this guy is not a supervisor or above my FI in any way. My FI's car broke down which cost us $180 for the tow and $1300 for fixing. Money we don't have so my parents paid the $1300.....

• Options

ashleyep said:

Nope. They just bought me "superior" headphones instead. But their solution to the noise problem was to put me and the other caption editor in the supply closet to keep us away from some of the noise. But we're in an office of about 50'x20', so being 3 feet away in the supply closet doesn't really do much good.

Luckily, they've been talking about also leasing the office next to ours, and it's assumed that we who need quiet will be the ones moving over there. Hopefully!

Push for your own office. It's actually damaging to wear headphones all the time.

I work in production and I do the close captioning for our tv show. We've had to move my desk 3 times to keep me away from noisy people.

I had no idea they have closed captioning companies, that's pretty cool.
  • Options
    I really enjoy my job, but any interaction with my boss/administration team makes me want to shoot myself.  For example, we all have to be on supervision all week, every break (5 per day with lunches and elementary recesses).  Our admin never comes out to help though.  We just get yelled at for not being out quick enough.  On guy got yelled at today cos he was at a door shooing kids in (ie. supervising) rather than being upstairs where admin thought he should be (he's not supposed to be anywhere specific, just where kids are).  They're also not listed at all on the lunchroom cleanup whereas some of us have 2 weeks over the year.  

It's really frustrating to come from a school where the Principal saw herself as captain of a team and we all work together to a school with an elite dictatorship where us peons do all the work and the admin/elite get all the perks

• Options
    I don't even have a job at the moment. Job hunting is frustrating.
    Hopefully something will come through soon. I need to pay for some stuff for our wedding and pay down debt.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've never known anyone who does this job!  I often have the CC on my tv because I have it on mute, and I see some of the craziest misspellings, typos, and just plain wrong words come across.  My favorite one was for "paramedics" - they CCd "perm head dicks".  So, I know mistakes happen, but if they have people like you editing, how does it happen?  I'm honestly curious how the system works.
  • Options
    RedJacks25RedJacks25 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2013

I've never known anyone who does this job!  I often have the CC on my tv because I have it on mute, and I see some of the craziest misspellings, typos, and just plain wrong words come across.  My favorite one was for "paramedics" - they CCd "perm head dicks".  So, I know mistakes happen, but if they have people like you editing, how does it happen?  I'm honestly curious how the system works.

----------------

Any time you see mistake like that, those captions were done live style--either truly written live, or the client paid for the cheapest quality. I work on all post production stuff--movies and pre-recorded tv shows and such, so it's significantly better quality.

Edited for quote box.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ---------------- Any time you see mistake like that, those captions were done live style--either truly written live, or the client paid for the cheapest quality. I work on all post production stuff--movies and pre-recorded tv shows and such, so it's significantly better quality. Edited for quote box.
    That's super cool.  It's one of those jobs you never think of as being a job until it's pointed out to you.  I always remember seeing lots of errors while watching TV, especially when it wasn't done live (type of program)

• Options
    My job is ok. Sometimes I like it, and some times the work is so mundane, or nonexistent, that I am ready to move on to the next position.

Also, while she is nice, the lady who shares the space with me is annoying me. She makes noises while she eats, and says "ok" or "alright" to herself like 20 times a day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

My job is causing me to be grumpy all the time. I find my patience is gone and I am drinking more. I don't actually lilke the person ths job is turning me into. My birthday is tomorrow and my FI is gone for a few days on a work trip and all my friends are busy. This means I will be spending my birthday weekend alone. :( Well, at least I have my bottles of wine at home and some good DVDs to watch.

• Options
    I am going through a phase where work is getting on my nerves. Usually I like my job and the people I work with, but lately I just want to call in sick every day and do other things. 

Also, FI & his BM are apparently boycotting the idea of wearing white shirts at the wedding, which I DON'T UNDERSTAND. It's a freaking white shirt. What's wrong with a freaking white shirt? Sigh.
  • Options

Same here! Actually, we're both engineers, but I'm the type that thinks time is money. I pay when I want something done because I'd rather spend my time doing thinks I enjoy; he thinks he can fix everything himself and spends every weekend tinkering with things. I drew a huge line this past week when several roof tiles fell off of his rental property from a storm. Instead of wanting to call a roofer,he suggested that he should fix them. Um, yeah, if you want to fall and kill yourself!!!!

I guess my work "woe is me" is that I'm too busy. Yeah- I'm on TK right now, but I am actually doing 2-3 things at the same time all of the time. LOL

LOL!! This totally hits home. H actually enjoys and gets his kicks doing these things himself when it would be a million times easier to just hire someone. *le sigh* Things I would rather be doing: cooking, reading, traveling and not digging a trench for the drainage project..... :)
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I'm at that point too,ElcaB. Mine is mainly due to work drama that has postponed my much needed promotion.  I'm tired of going above and beyond while seeing the incompetent slackers around me get their promotions.  I'm very discouraged and bitter, would love to call in sick since it's our busiest time and they can see what I do but am saving days for the wedding/honeymoon and fiance's deployment next year.  bleh
  • Options

My job sucks too. The job itself isn't horrible, it's the bosses. I work for a tiny (6-person) company and the owner's son is a giant prick. FI and I want to move across the country after we get married and I sit here and fantasize about the day I quit. That's at least two years away, but nice to think about.

I actually had a dream last night that the super-awesome-to-their-employees company I quit like 6 years ago (probably one of my biggest regrets) offered me a job.

Also, woe is me because FI and I decided that we would each invite 25 people to our wedding. He is not close at all with his mom's family (20 aunts and uncles) and she's irate that he didn't invite her family. WIth my 25 people, I was able to invite all my aunts and uncles and now FMIL decided that she's not coming to the wedding. She's BSC and when we made this decision I tried to talk to FI about how mad she would be and he was fine. Now that she is mad, he wants to invite these extra people. This pisses me off because not only is his mom an asshole and I hate to give into her temper tantrums, but she's already been talking shit about FI and I with the entire family so they know they're not invited. Sending a STD now would make it look like a sympathy invite. Andplusalso, FI is 6 months behind on our wedding fund (we each said we'd put aside $XX/month) so who in the fuck is going to pay for these effing people?!

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I had a job like that and I left it and found a job that makes me happy. When it stopped making me happy, I worked to change my position with the company. I've been lucky to have a pretty good company.

My fiance, on the other hand, has been working for the same company for 7 years and can't get ahead. They gave him a promotion but no extra pay for it, in fact, they made him salary so he actually gets paid less because he's still expected to put in overtime, he just doesn't get paid for it. He also has to work nights.  He applied for other jobs within the company, but his boss is trying to hire all the people he used to work with at the company he just came from. FI considered applying for his old job (pre-promotion). He would get better hours, hourly, and would make the same money with less responsibility but they basically told him they would not shift him.

We live in the middle of nowhere, he doesn't have a degree, and he uses a wheelchair. His options are seriously limited. I'm hoping after I finish my master's that he can work part time, finish school, and improve his position.
    imageimageimage

You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.
  • Options

Woe is me- I love the work I do, but don't like some of the people I work with. Unfortunately, two of my favorite colleagues are leaving. It'll be me, one guy I'm friendly with but not buddies with, my boss (who used passive aggression to push out my faves) and a colleague who still sees me as an intern or clerk, not a full fledged attorney. Thanks to her, I'm now doing a review of 17 databases full of documents for anything under attorney privilege. The first database had 1790 docs in my first search term. The first 8 have been in the 1400 pg range. She's also pulling passive agressive behavior, and I can't say a thing because she's buddies with the boss.

I have actually started developing stress induced migraines and heart palpitations due to the working environment. You're not alone in not being happy with your job!

• Options

Additional "woe is me" complaint - my cube wall neighbor acts like a child. Not like, farting and giggling child, like the weird smelly kid child.

She has told us this story at least three times and is now telling one of our agents: "I have a cop friend and we were out to lunch and I sprinkled some salt on him because I always wanted to assault an officer". And she thinks this is hilarious.

She wants FI and I to go through a drive through on his motorcycle. Ummm..not only is it too loud, but you don't eat while operating a bike. But "she thinks it would be fun because she's into interesting quirky things".

I've stopped prentending she's humorous.

Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options

Additional "woe is me" complaint - my cube wall neighbor acts like a child. Not like, farting and giggling child, like the weird smelly kid child.

She has told us this story at least three times and is now telling one of our agents: "I have a cop friend and we were out to lunch and I sprinkled some salt on him because I always wanted to assault an officer". And she thinks this is hilarious.

She wants FI and I to go through a drive through on his motorcycle. Ummm..not only is it too loud, but you don't eat while operating a bike. But "she thinks it would be fun because she's into interesting quirky things".

That is probably one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

oh brother

• Options

That is probably one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

oh brother
    OOOMMMGGGGGG I know. Every single thing she says is equally stupid and she thinks it's absolutely hysterical. And when I don't laugh, she asks me why I'm in a bad mood. I finally told her that my mood isn't bad, her jokes are.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry ShesSoCold, before I got my office (before the freakin promotion, would prefer the money) I had a cube mate that would stare at me all day, talk over the wall constantly thinking she was funny and CHEW while she was talking.  Freakin cow mouth.  She's followed me into the bathroom, physically turns her body to see me walk by looking me up and down, and felt me up one day on the pretense that she liked my shirt. I can tolerate her more now since they moved her into a corner but I can't stand her!   Besides the not being able to afford to invite my coworkers to the wedding, if by chance I was able to, I would have to re-think it since it would be rude not to invite her but invite everyone else.

• Options
    I'm so sorry ShesSoCold, before I got my office (before the freakin promotion, would prefer the money) I had a cube mate that would stare at me all day, talk over the wall constantly thinking she was funny and CHEW while she was talking.  Freakin cow mouth.  She's followed me into the bathroom, physically turns her body to see me walk by looking me up and down, and felt me up one day on the pretense that she liked my shirt. I can tolerate her more now since they moved her into a corner but I can't stand her!   Besides the not being able to afford to invite my coworkers to the wedding, if by chance I was able to, I would have to re-think it since it would be rude not to invite her but invite everyone else.

Holy crap. I wonder if some people are weird on purpose because they know it weirds normal people out.

I did forget to mention that she eats like a freaking animal. I never would have thought that I would have to tell an adult - in a work environment - not to speak with her mouth full. I've told her like 4 times. Last week she's leaning on my front cubicle wall (facing directly at me) yelling to the girl behind me with her mouth full. I just sat here with a horrified look on my face when she's done, she goes, "Oh, I'm sorry Adrienne. I know you don't like when I speak with my mouth full". Ummm, no bitch, EVERYONE doesn't like it when you talk with your mouth full.

An hour later, she's eating a banana and there's banana crumbs all over her face. We do life insurance and her desk is the front "reception desk" so UPS comes to her. She handed someone's life insurance policy with a fucking banana string stuck to the back of it. I had to tell her to eat on her breaks and not at her desk.

GAHHH I need a margarita.

• Options
    I totally understand your woes! My job is GREAT just FAB on paper, but in reality it is just mind  numbing. The job market in my area stinks, so until things turn around... my degree is just going to be collecting rust and my ass and brain are going to turn into gooop. I get through the day repeating this "this is just something i do for 8 hrs a day so that i can enjoy the rest of my life" and the always, always obnoxious "at least i have a job...." <--- i hate people who say this..... :-)
  • Options
    That's so funny, I work in the benefits department so we do all insurances.  My person is our wellness person.  We have another that eats at her desk constantly, brought in the ants last week.  She eats her lunch at her desk then leaves for her hour lunch.  I like her though, lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards