October 2013 Weddings
Options

SIL Sadness

So this is really just a vent - no advice or anything really to be asked, i'm just bummed.

Background - my SIL (brother's wife) and I haven't had a close relationship, it's been rocky at best. Not overtly fighting or anything, but she doesn't seem to want to have anything to do with me. When they had my niece things got better. Well, there was some drama between her and my MOH regarding scheduling of the bach/shower parties, and she wasn't able to make it. After the drama she emailed me to lay it out and tell me what happened so that I was informed. But she also stressed how she was really upset that she was missing it, and how she wants to be a part of everything because she has been enjoying how our relationship is developing. It came off as really sincere.

I really want her to be part of everything, but now after the drama it seems like she is intentionally not participating.

Tomorrow is FIs bach party so I am having friends over for a sleepover. She's known about it for months, but keeps saying she won't know her schedule until day of because she might have an internship interview. I totally get that - obviously that's more important. But is that going to take up your entire day? And I know she is doing something with her mom in the morning.

I was texting all of the girls last night to find out what their plans are for hair in the morning on the wedding day. Everyone but her chose to come to the salon that I am going to, but she is going to her regular stylist. I totally get that - no problem. I asked her what timing she was thinking and she said 9am - I said 'Perfect! I want to take everyone out for lunch before we have to go to the ceremony site so you'll be able to meet us!' She responded with 'Well, we'll see I might not be able to make it if my mom comes to get her hair done with me too". All I could respond was 'I would be really sad if you can't come to lunch' and she said 'I'm sure we'll be able to work something out'. 

I'm just... frustrated I guess. I feel like she is choosing not to be a part of these things because of my MOH. I really want a good relationship with her, but I feel like she doesn't care. I know that all that's required of her is to show up on time and in the dress, I just wanted her to be more a part of everything/my life.  
image 209 Invited
image 151 Yes
image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

Re: SIL Sadness

• Options
    I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this!!!  Maybe after the wedding she will come back around.  Right now it may be hard for her because of the MOH and whatever has happened between the two of them.  I truly hope things get better for the two of you!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 84 Invited
    image 68 Yes
    image 16 No
    image 0 Unknown
  • Options
    I hope things work out for you! I totally hate the saying, "It could always be worse." But its fitting in this case. I have a future SIL that was very supportive and encouraging in the beginning and has done a complete 360 when we became serious. Verbally attacked my MOH and myself in our home. Who has tried just about everything to break us up. Thank God my FI knows his sister all to well and knows me. I truly hope your SIL comes around and your able to celebrate your day together!
  • Options
    Aw :(  I hope she turns around by the time the wedding comes.  She probably does want to be apart of things but may feel like with the MOH and all of your other friends she may be the odd man out?  I hope that's all it is and if she would just participate I am sure it would go smoothly and everyone would enjoy.

Let me confirm - her mother (who may be getting her hair done with her) is your FMIL right? Could they both join the luncheon?  
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
  • Options
    I hope so too, but I guess i'm not really holding out any hope. I am debating having a straight up heart to heart but she's proven to not be very honest so I don't even know if that would make a difference.

No, she's my SIL because my brother married her. FI only has brothers.

So her mom is my brothers in-laws, and they are coming to the wedding, but only guests.
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

• Options
    I follow now.  Sucky situation all around.  I do hope she comes around and surprises you.  I always want to hold out hope that the best in people will shine thru when it's needed.  Unfortunately, we all get to a point where we move on.  I am sorry you are going thru this, especially so close to the wedding.
    S'mores. Just S'mores please.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards