Wedding Reception Forum
Options

No Dancing...hiring a DJ?

My FH and I are not dancers and do NOT want to dance at our wedding. We have also decided to forgo ALL traditional wedding dances ("First Dance", "Groom/Mother", and "Bride/Father"). We are not opposed to other people dancing at our wedding; however, my FH and I won't be out there dancing. Our thoughts are to have background music playing, so it is not too quiet. We are not worried about guest being bored at our wedding because the majority of people in our families are not dancers. At other weddings we went to they did not dance despite there being a dance floor. 

My question is do we need to hire a DJ?  Our wedding ceremony and reception will both be held outside, so there is not a sound system available. Any "sound" that is played will require us to rent a sound system or hire a DJ. I worry about trying to do things ourselves in regards to "sound/music" in fear that it will be a total disaster. So, should we hire a DJ? Will the DJ think we are crazy for hiring them and not having the whole "dance/party atmosphere" ? What are your guys' thoughts!

Thank You :)

Re: No Dancing...hiring a DJ?

• Options

1) It is definitely your right not to haiving dancing, but make sure you know weddings without any type of dancing usually end much earlier. Would you be cool with that if it happens? If you are, no problem. I just say it because brides in that situation might not understand why everyone leaves so early

2) Did you talk to mog and FOB about no dances? I say it because we have seen brides/grooms on here who did not dance with them only to regret it later because they had no idea the mother or father were looking forward to it. Sometimes, they have dreamt about that moment since the time you were born. Make sure you can live with the decision and that they are also okay with it

3) You can still have dancing and no dance if you do not want to. That's also allowed.

4) Are you doing a "cutting of the cake? If so, do you want music during that? Just seeing if you had thought of that,

5) IF you choose, you can definitely still hire a DJ to play background music, but it kinda seems like a waste of your money...Maybe a jazz quartet or something instead?!?!?

Also, if you  hire a dj in that situation, what happens when someone requests a "dance party" type song? would they tell the person no?!?

Just throwing things out there in case you hadn't thought about it. If you want ZERO dancing, I think you have no need for a DJ.

• Options
    Loca4pook, 

Thank you so much for your reply! I am okay with the reception ending early and I completely understand why it would end early. The MOG and FOB are okay with not having their dances. They both are really reserved people (much like myself and my FH) and do not like being the center of attention. We will still cut the cake, toss the bouquet and garter. However, I never thought about having music during cutting the cake. I too thought hiring a DJ would be a waste of money it's just the fear of messing everything up without a professional that scares me. I would also be okay with people asking the DJ for a "dance party" type song and the DJ playing it. The people can dance. I just won't join them. 

Thank you again for your reply!!!
  • Options
    oOalyOo said:
    Loca4pook, 

Thank you so much for your reply! I am okay with the reception ending early and I completely understand why it would end early. The MOG and FOB are okay with not having their dances. They both are really reserved people (much like myself and my FH) and do not like being the center of attention. We will still cut the cake, toss the bouquet and garter. However, I never thought about having music during cutting the cake. I too thought hiring a DJ would be a waste of money it's just the fear of messing everything up without a professional that scares me. I would also be okay with people asking the DJ for a "dance party" type song and the DJ playing it. The people can dance. I just won't join them. 

Thank you again for your reply!!!

:-) You're cool with FI going up your skirt for the garter, but are too reserved for dancing. Okay. /sarcasmfont

Hire the DJ. They'll probably appreciate doing a "background music" type event versus the high energy club atmosphere for a change.

• Options

:-) You're cool with FI going up your skirt for the garter, but are too reserved for dancing. Okay. /sarcasmfont

Hire the DJ. They'll probably appreciate doing a "background music" type event versus the high energy club atmosphere for a change. 

Um, this. I just don't get it.  Well unless the garter is already going to be off and then just thrown.

• Options
    I am sure there are other ways to do the garter toss. Also, my not wanting to dance is more because I can't dance and I don't enjoy it at all. No bride wants to feel stupid trying to dance on her special day, especially if it's not something they enjoy! 
    itzMS said:

• Options
    Erm, no one forces you/the bride to dance.  But if you want to have a wedding with no dancing, yes I recommend having some sort of music so there's no crickets.  Also, if it is going to go into the night, maybe some alternative activities so your guests aren't bored. 
  • Options
      Also consider the acoustics of the ceremony. You might want a sound system to make sure your guests can hear the ceremony-ambient noise, wind, etc. can all affect your guests' ability to hear what's going on.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Have you considered a band or string quartet to play in the background?
  • Options
    We are probably going to use a harpist or violinist to play at the ceremony. As for the reception, I think we are going to rent speakers and a microphone and use an iPod for the music. My FH has tons and tons of music, so I have given him the duty of creating the reception playlist :)

I know a lot of people are against "iPod" receptions. However, I think that it will work for us and our needs. Especially since our main focus is NOT dancing and we won't be having "other" dances, so it should work out just fine. My FH's best man will announce the toasts, cake cutting, and garter/bouquet toss. He is very personable and does great in front of crowds!

Now on to explore the boards about "iPod receptions"!
  • Options
    What about hiring a DJ for a few hours

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards