Wedding Ceremony & Reception Music Discussions

One wedding, three bands- can it be done?

My FI is musically inclined, and several of his friends are in local bands.  He would like to have three separate bands play at our wedding, like a mini concert. One is a jazz band, one is disco/funk/dance, and one is a hair metal band (yes, very eclectic, i know). They all know one another and would be sharing some instruments (drum kit, etc).  He has told me we could have the jazz band play for our ceremony and cocktail hour (reception/ceremony are in the same location), and reception would be split by the disco/funk and metal bands.
 I am very organizationally minded, and FI is extremely laid-back.  I asked him if he had a clear schedule in his mind for how this would work smoothly without awkward gaps, and he said, "don't worry about it, babe!"
Clearly that isn't a thing I do.  So, what do you think?  Does this sound like total chaos, or could this work??? 

Re: One wedding, three bands- can it be done?

• Honestly, it does sound a tad chaotic. Is this in addition to or in lieu of a DJ? Is there going to be dancing? 
  • In lieu of a dj, yes there will be dancing.

• I would probably have a dj or at least a sound system with an iPod so you can play music in between sets so it doesn't get weird.  That said, I'd like to incorporate more than one musical entertainer in our reception since we are very, very musical.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @grumbledore thanks, our venue is wired with a sound system so I could have a playlist ready for between sets.  When are you getting married?  We should compare notes. I want to make this work because this is important to FI, and he doesn't ask for much. 

• It could work, but agree to have the music between sets.

Anniversary
  • WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited October 2013
    Can you have one of them play for cocktail hour.  Take a natural break for dinner.  Bring on the second after dinner.  Take a natural break to do the cake cutting.  Then bring on the third?

Both of our mother's are music teachers and many of our friends play so  the music was very important to us.  We're doing three different kinds of live music at ours and it's broken down to pre-ceremony/ceremony music (native american flutist), cocktail hour (flamenco acoustic guitar), and after dinner (5 piece bluegrass band).

ETA: I so didn't see the part where you said have the jazz band play for cocktail hour already.  You're totally on the right track.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards