Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Marriot Pittsburgh Airport

I have an appoint to tour the Marriot October 1st. Has anyone ever gone to a wedding there or taken a tour? I'd love any and all opinions! Happy Monday ladies!!

Re: Marriot Pittsburgh Airport

• Hello,
    My cousin had her weddng there probably about 10 years ago. It was great so i decided to tour it with my FI. They are currently making up grades to all the ballrooms, which is def. a plus!  We deceided against it because our wedding is smaller but I was def. considering it. One thing to consider is that they can have multiple weddings there at the same time, so book early if you do have it there. They have a very lovely courtyard where you can do your cocktail hour, as long as you book it first ( And of course your wedding isnt in the winter! )

hope this helps!

have fun planning Smile
  • CaitlynmkCaitlynmk member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2012
    We are having our wedding reception there in March! :) We'll be in the grand ballroom, the upgrades turned out great with beautiful lighting. Cocktail hour will be in the large hallway by the grand ballroom since it will be too cold for the outdoor space. The smaller, newer ballroom is really nice but not as impressive as the grand ballroom. We have had some communication issues with one of the coordinators, Jeannie. She doesn't respond very quickly (or at all) to some emails or calls, and gives short answers when she does. We get past it though because it was a perfect venue for us leaving little to worry about since we are OOT. there is another person who does wedding stuff with Jeannie, think its Maria, she is super nice and helpful. Definitely try to negotiate costs per person and the food and beverage minimum, for us they were very flexible because we are an off season wedding. Lots of things included in the wedding package, and you get a dedicated maitre d' for the day off. We feel confident it will be great despite the communication issues! We're doing our food tasting Oct 5 so I can share more then!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am thinking about doing a friday evening wedding.  We are both RNs and my FI does the weekend program so the only time off he will get will be fore the wedding.  I want a honeymoon and the longest we would be able to go would be saturday-friday if we have a friday evening wedding.  Jeannie is hard to get a hold of. It took me 3 tries to finally get a response/call back from someone.  However, I am excited to see the venue and have heard great things about it.  I am still waiting for her to send me information on the specific packages.  I found them off the internet, but she said the one she would send me would have more detail.  Have you seen the floral centerpieces that are included?  I am worried that they will be sparse or not what I have in mind since they are included in the price. Good luck with your tasting!
  • I will be meeting with the florist in the next couple of weeks.  Of course I was told that that there is a limit to what can be done with the centerpieces but that they are very nice.  She said anything can be upgraded.  I hope they are sufficient but I am prepared to upgrade since I love flowers so much!  You have a choice of having the centerpieces included or a cake.  I thought I could definitely get more for my money with the centerpieces.

I love the outdoor courtyard area and that I can have my cocktail hour out there.  I originally wanted a completely outdoor event but the weather factor was too scary for me.  I like that I can have a atleast the ceremony and cocktail hour here.  Of course if it rains they will have back up.  I have the smaller ball room for 160 guests.  It is kind of in the back, I actually really like the set up because it is private back there and you also get the use of one of their boardrooms because they can not rent that while a wedding is going on.  I will be using that as my cookie room and having the coffee station set up there as well.  There are also bathrooms back there, it is like your own private area of the hotel.  Of course right around the corner is the main lobby and bar though which is also nice for our friends who are staying at the hotel and want to stay late with us!

I have just started working with Jeannie and it is really too early to have an opinion of her but for now I can say she doesn't seem the fastest to respond and such but she is very nice and very professional and really knows her stuff!

There are also many ways to play with the price.  Many add ons and many things you can cut to reduce the per person price.

Overall, I love the place and think it is priced very well!!  I can't wait!
  • CaitlynmkCaitlynmk member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2012
    I'm so glad to have others to chat with about our venue! :)

I've met with Cheryl from Parkway Florist- be prepared to be slightly disappointed with the centerpieces that are included in the wedding package as they are basically a bouquet of roses. I believe the value is $15 per table and then you pay the difference to Cheryl if you upgrade. We are upgrading the centerpieces because I really wanted hydrangeas, but compared to other florists in the area, Parkway seems like a great value for the quality and for the attention Cheryl gives you.

On that note, Cheryl is wonderful!!! You will spend a long time at the first meeting going over every single floral detail you can possibly think of! At the end she gives you a detailed price quote which we really appreciated. She is so friendly, knowledgeable, and VERY well priced. I brought her pictures of bouquets and centerpeices for inspiration and she totally knew what look I was going for.

Good luck! And have fun with it :) Oh and I also recommend Cakes by Tammy. She is trying to cut back on cakes in 2013 and is only doing them for 3 locations, including the Marriott. She is really easy to get ahold of and the taster cakes were SO good, we can't wait for the wedding cake!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I figured I would have to add more to the centerpieces! I'm glad to hear she is well priced and good to work with though because flowers are very important to me! Jeannie said you can actually pay the florist a very small fee and she will help with coordinating the ceremony. I'm so excited to meet her! I am finding there to be a lack of communication with Jeannie. Maybe I will try going with the Marie you spoke of! I am also so excited to have people to talk venue with! Did you do your tasting yet?
  • I'm not sure if you can choose to work with Maria or not- we met with her one day because Jeannie wasn't available. Worth a try though.. just keep emailing and calling Jeannie. Eventually she gets back to you. Or call Brittany, I think that is her assistant. It is frustrating though. When I told Jeannie she was hard to get ahold of she acted like I didn't know what I was talking about and gave me attitude, so now I don't care about bugging her. haha!

We are doing our tasting the first weekend of October and actually just got a big packet in the mail to fill out and help prepare us for the tasting. I will let you ladies know how it goes! So excited! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah, I read wonderful reviews of the Marriott and mixed on her! My mother came to my initial meeting with her, I thought she was fine but my mom wasn't crazy about her. Mothers instinct! I'm sure it will all work out! Anyway, enjoy your tasting and please let us know how it goes!
  • I am meeting with her on the first.  She is actually coming in on her off day because that is the only time I had available to come in.  I am hoping she is just as nice in person.
  • Jeannie is (mostly) friendly in person but she certainly doesn't have that bubbly, customer service type of personality. I'm sure everything will be great with your meeting, have fun!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ShleeASTShleeAST member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited September 2012
    We had our June 18, 2011 wedding at the Pittsburgh Marriott! It was amazing! Feel free to check out our photos below in the married bio! We worked with Jeannie and at first she was hard to get ahold of. The week of the wedding she was awesome and even called our photographer and worked out a small floral arraiangement for me after started crying! We were planning our wedding from NJ and the Marriott was the best place in Pittsburgha that worked with OOT brides. We used Parkway Florist and loved working with Cheryl! She even coordinated our ceremony and that was amazing! That was free of charge for us! Maybe she is charging for it now but she is so nice, I loved my flowers and center pieces! They were smaller than I wanted but we didn't wanna spend a lot of money on flowers and were happy with the result! We didn't have another wedding while we were there but a graduation party! Which was a little annoying to have high schoolers running around! We had our reception in the grand ballroom and even had a bar feel near the bar with high top tables for our guests! I will always recommend the Marriott!! I wanna agent married again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards