Wedding Party

Bridesmaid Dresses in May: Dupioni vs. Chiffon

I am getting married in late May in Southern Alabama, and there is potential for it to be hot (probably up to 80 degrees or so). The ceremony is indoors, but the reception and pictures will be predominately outdoors. I am between two dress styles for my bridesmaids...either short, dupioni dresses in a light teal color or long, chiffon dresses. I am worried about the girls getting hot and sweating and particularly that the dupioni might stain with sweat.
Any advice?

Re: Bridesmaid Dresses in May: Dupioni vs. Chiffon

• I've been to Alabama in the summer a couple of times. Why are you doing the reception outdoors when you know it will be hot, possibly uncomfortably so? Just as you should have a rain plan, you should also use an indoor venue in the event that it is hot. I don't get why you're worrying about sweat stains more than the comfort of your bridesmaids and guests.
  • If you have to choose one of the other, I'd choose chiffon without blinking an eye. Silk dupioni is heavier without any flow or give. Chiffon will be more comfortable.

I have to agree with @artbyallie - if temperatures could be in the 80s, I would move the reception indoors or have a back up plan. I went to a wedding in Texas in August that was outside, but the reception was in a tent that they had air conditioned. It worked really well and provided relief from the heat. If indoors isn't an option, I'd check into a plan like that. If it's super hot and uncomfortable, people will leave early. That's the last thing you want at your wedding.
    *********************************************************************************

• I agree with @southernbelle0915 to go with chiffon, but I would also suggest going with short chiffon dresses if you have the option. Putting those girls in a long dress in that heat would not be good.

Chiffon also doesn't show wrinkles as readily as silk, if that is something you are concerned about.

• Chiffon, much more airy and more flattering.

• Short chiffon.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards