Michigan-Detroit

fondant?

Anyone have or will be having a fondant cake? We are debating because they look so nice but we have heard taste so gross.If not fondant what are you having whipped or butter cream? Thanks!

Re: fondant?

• We did not want fondant, it does taste gross! I think we had buttercream frosting and it was delicious!
  • My cake baker is putting on buttercream and then a very very thin layer of fondant on top of the buttercream.  That way we get the good taste from the buttercream but also the flawless finish of the fondant.  Also buttercream can cause things like ribbons to absorb the fat from it which can spoil the appearance, so the thin layer of fondant prevents that too. 
  • there is a butter cream fondant option. It tastes MUCH better, but it still has that butter cream texture. It's harder to find bakers to do it, but if you must have the stiff decoration, it's a better option.
  • Foster14 said:
    My cake baker is putting on buttercream and then a very very thin layer of fondant on top of the buttercream.  That way we get the good taste from the buttercream but also the flawless finish of the fondant.  Also buttercream can cause things like ribbons to absorb the fat from it which can spoil the appearance, so the thin layer of fondant prevents that too. 
    I had ribbon on my buttercream cake, and it looked perfect, nothing was spoiled.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards