Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Slideshow

What do you guys think of slideshows at weddings? Our venue has a nice setup where it basically projects pictures onto a backdrop behind the dance floor. It would just run on a continuous loop and be in the background so nobody would have to sit through watching it or anything. I was thinking of doing black and white pictures so it isn't real intrusive. The projector is up in the ceiling so it won't look like high school movie day or anything. LOL 

Any other ideas if you guys think this is dumb? Or any suggestions on how to make a nice slideshow if you think it's a good idea?

Re: Slideshow

• Options
    What do you guys think of slideshows at weddings? Our venue has a nice setup where it basically projects pictures onto a backdrop behind the dance floor. It would just run on a continuous loop and be in the background so nobody would have to sit through watching it or anything. I was thinking of doing black and white pictures so it isn't real intrusive. The projector is up in the ceiling so it won't look like high school movie day or anything. LOL 

Any other ideas if you guys think this is dumb? Or any suggestions on how to make a nice slideshow if you think it's a good idea?

Meh, I'm indifferent. I never watch them. But if they aren't intrusive, I certainly don't mind them. I think the older folks may enjoy them.

The only slideshow I've seen that was actually entertaining was a slideshow from the photobooth set up at the wedding.

For me persoanlly, it sounds like just another thing to get done before the wedding. I wouldn't bother.

• Options
    Yeah I would never make them sit there and be like ok the only thing happening right now is you will look at pictures of us. LOL We are having the cocktail hour outside on the terrace so there isn't really a place to have it out there.
  • Options
    Ditto PPs, I hate being pressured to watch but otherwise I think it's nice. Just have a variety of pics involving friends and family rather than a succinct timeline or endless baby pics.

Anniversary

• Options
    Yeah I was just going to do random pics of us together and with people who will be there. Nothing like baby pictures or anything like that. All stuff from since we've been together (which has been 9 years so I have plenty of pics).
  • Options
    If I'm honest, I'm not crazy about slideshows. It reminds me of those episodes of "My Super Sweet 16" where they have giant photos of themselves plastered around their venues.

If I were you, I would choose a select few of the photos you have and integrate them a bit more subtly such as one in your ceremony programme, or maybe with table numbers or names? I have a friend that did table names as places her and her Fi went on holiday. They then had a photo of them at each of the locations.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013

Sorry for the harshness, but I hate slideshows at weddings and bar/bat mitzvahs.  They make me feel like a captive audience for an overinflated ego stroke.  

Unfortunately I have some relatives who love to do this-they even did this after a funeral (this is real) and while it might be fun and touching to them, it made me uncomfortable to watch.
  • Options
    In the minority here, I love slide shows, but not during dinner. Watching them is just another optional activity during the dancing, mingling portion.
  • Options
    It will be more like a background. Almost like the lights that you see projected onto the wall behind the dance floor with the couple's monogram, but instead it will be pictures of us. 
  • Options
    It will be more like a background. Almost like the lights that you see projected onto the wall behind the dance floor with the couple's monogram, but instead it will be pictures of us. 
    I think I'd still make it more subtle.
  • Options
    I would skip it. We thought about having one at our wedding, but as the date is getting closer, we decided this was just one more thing we'd have to do and decided nobody would miss it so we decided to forget it.
  • Options
    Our photographer set up a laptop with scrolling photos from the ceremony and set it up at the reception while people were partying. Whoever walked by and wanted to look at it could and whoever wasn't interested could keep walking.

There's nothing worse than stopping everything to make people watch a slideshow. Toasts that are longer than a minute or two are bad, but a whole slideshow is MISERABLE.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Slideshows are outdated, in my opinion. A table with photos in frames is a more subtle and classy option.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards