Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

need new venue ideas!

i need help! (in more ways than you can imagine)

my FI & I are still planning on having our wedding in Sept/Oct this year with about 100 guests. Our first few options fell apart, so we're back to square one... again. I'm trying to do my planning from California, so I need your suggestions badly on where to look next.

we're looking to spend 6-7,000 for venue & food (give or take). We'd like to have the ceremony there as well. The style we're aiming for is modern classic - someplace where James Bond would look like he belongs.

Thanks All!

Re: need new venue ideas!

• Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there, sorry none of the options worked out!  What were the places you were originally looking at?

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For the style you want... and your budget...

Hall of Architecture at CMoA
    Warhol
    History Center (might be over $$)
    August Wilson Center?
    New Hazlett Theater
    Pittsburgh Opera (there's a rumor that they are renting their space)

Not sure whether any of these have ceremony space.

This is tough... Pittsburgh is not exactly thought of as being modern.

I am sure there's many more, especially outside of the city.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to do some google scouting right now!

I had tried the Atheletic Association, the Mansion at Maple heights, Phipps, and the Carnegie Museums.  too small, too expensive, no availability.... grrr

Nunu - how did you like the zoo/aquarium?
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmm.  Mattress Factory?  Jay Verno?  (might be too pricy)  The Frick, maybe in one of the smaller rooms?  20th Century Club?

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was at the Aviary and loved it!
    You can do both ceremony and reception and the rental rates are really reasonable.
    You can choose from three caterers: Opening Night (my choice, amazing!), big Catering, Rania.

I had them have a penguin, an owl and a parrot out during cocktail hour to greet guests and the exhibits were open. My reception was in their rose garden under a tent, but there's indoor spaces as well.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     the Aviary!
    the penguin threw me off... then again, penguins are super-stealth in their tuxedos. you never know what they're planning...
  • Options
    moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i really like the idea of The New Hazlett theatre - it looks like it could be a fun space to work with. http://www.newhazletttheater.org

has anyone been to the theater?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mosli-- I looked at it when I was planning. I loved the idea of it. It is pretty much a black box theater with the floor being big enough for the reception.

And, you can hire their lighting designer for not a lot to do fun lighting for your wedding.

The lobby of the space is really modern and artsy, perfect for a cocktail reception.
    CafeMom Tickers
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    yrteemsyrteems member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I talked with the woman from the Athletic Association on Sunday at the bridal expo. She seemed really cool, organized, down-to-earth -- I just got a good feeling from her. Their rates seem reasonable; I want to say their rental rate is $800 and one of their less expensive dinners is around $60 per plate (if you include alcohol). 
  • Options
    yrteemsyrteems member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oops, sorry, I just saw that you already talked to them. 
  • Options
    moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah - with the PAA, when I got their contract it listed a  minimum price that was much higher than what I had calculated from their other costs - much not happy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just booked at Greendance winery in Mt. Pleasant - great prices, they partner with a caterer and they have great wine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards