Wedding Reception Forum
Options

First dance timing

Hi all,

I don't post on the boards much, but the few times I have, everyone has been very helpful so I thought I'd ask you all a question.  I am very torn on the timing of our first dance. In your opinion, do you think it's better for the bride and groom to have their first dance immediately upon entering the reception or after dinner?  I like the idea of having the "grand entrance," going straight into the first dance and then serving dinner.  Others, including my FI, like the idea of having everyone be served their food and then us doing our first dance towards the end of the meal because everyone will be seated and whatnot.  I'm not totally adverse to this idea, I'm just torn.  Our father/daughter and mother/son dances will be at the end of or after dinner regardless.

Opinions are appreciated.  Thank you!

Re: First dance timing

• Options
    We're having our entrance and going into our first dance.  We'll be done by like 7:04pm. My stepdad will do a blessing/welcome and then we eat. Once everyone is seated after the buffet we'll do BM & MOH toasts. Following dinner the mother/son dance (no father/daughter at ours).  Doing it this way doesn't delay dinner hardly at all.
  • Options
    We went right into the first dance at the beginning, and then did our parent dances later in the reception.  I liked that doing the first dance immediately opens up the dance floor, so guests were up and dancing between courses.  Everyone will be seated when you do your entrance, too, so I don't see that as a difference.  Typically the DJ/band leader/MC will ask everyone to find their seats and will then announce you and your new H.
  • Options
    I prefer the dance to be after dinner.  As a guilty pleasure, I watch a lot of wedding shows and when the bride and groom run in and are announced and then everyone is clapping and then all of a sudden some slow song comes on and then it's suddenly 'romantic time' and they start slow dancing, it's very mismatched to me.  And then they run and sit down and eat.  Just not for me but if you want to do it that's fine as a lot of people do.
  • Options
    We're doing ours right after intros then going to cut the cake. I think it just flows better that way and leaves father/daughter and mother/son after dinner
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We did our first dance after dinner, to start off all the dancing.
  • Options
    We did ours after dinner and cake to kick off the dancing. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    We did ours right after we were introduced, it was short and then over. Everyone was seated and paying attention. After dinner, people are walking around mingling & catching up with other family & friends or at the bar or outside, etc. We actually did everything (exception father/daughter & mother/son) dance before dinner. Then all the formalities we done and after party all that was left was to start dancing & having fun. So there was no rush to hurry up & finish eating.
  • Options
    At least I've learned that either way we go, it's not necessarily wrong.  Thank you for your responses... Perhaps I am over thinking it.  We have our final planning meeting this coming weekend so we'll go over the timeline with the coordinator again and I'll take your guys' experiences and thoughts into consideration.  Thank you, ladies!
  • Options
    We will be doing ours after dinner. I think it's a good way to kick off the dancing.
  • Options
    We were introduced, went into our first dance, then did parent dances, then toast, then dinner.  It was really nice to get all the dances done early.  It also opened up the dance floor, as we had dancing between the courses of dinner.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies :)
  • Options
    Yep we did ours right after we got announced. Then we did f/d and m/s dances later in the evening

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards