Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Winter Food?

Our wedding is December 15th at 2PM. We do not plan on having a big sit down dinner, since the reception will begin at 2:30PM.
But, what kind of food is appropriate for winter time, that isn't something you'd serve at a holiday dinner?
Any suggestions would be great, from appetizers to meals, I just would like some ideas-- but no soup. 
Thanks!
Visit The Knot!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Winter Food?

• Options
    sydwil23 said:
    Our wedding is December 15th at 2PM. We do not plan on having a big sit down dinner, since the reception will begin at 2:30PM.
    But, what kind of food is appropriate for winter time, that isn't something you'd serve at a holiday dinner?
    Any suggestions would be great, from appetizers to meals, I just would like some ideas-- but no soup. 
    Thanks!

For appetizers...fried ravioli or mozzarella, stuffed mushrooms, chicken or beef roulades...

Are you serving appetizers or a meal? Your post is confusing.

• Options
    Mini quiches, crabcakes, meatballs, shrimp of some sort (cocktail or even steamed/bbq'd), caprese skewers (holiday colors), bacon wrapped potatoes, chicken skewers with a nice dipping sauce, tortellini skewers with a pesto or marinara dipping sauce, a nice cheese/fruit/bread platters, veggies and dip, sliders, bruschetta, mini spring rolls...

That is all I can really think of right now.

• Options
    Basically anything hot and filling - I always want slightly heavier food in the winter. I would still eat a few pieces of fruit and cheese, but I would concentrate on the warm foods.

I will try to not double up on things that Maggie already said (though it's hard - she gave lots of good advice):
    - Warm polenta cakes with a seared scallop or a ragu sauce on top (real italian ragu - not the crap that comes in a jar)
    - Anything involving potatoes - whether a mashed potato bar bite sized potato dishes (like mini potato skins)
    - Dishes involving winter squash
    - Warm dips (spinach and artichoke for example)
  • Options
    I think having a hot chocolate station or something like that would be awesome.  Some actual foods: caramel apples, candy apples, pies, a salad with beets and blood oranges in it maybe, macaroni and cheese in little ramekins, squash, roast beef, cranberry sauce, gravy (not a food on its own but might be missed if it isn't there), turkey, grilled cheese, chili, stew, and/or shepherd's pie.
  • Options
    My wedding is January 4th and for the appetizers we are doing small pollenta cakes with pulled pork inside and lobster mac & cheese spoons. For the meal we are doing chicken marsala with green beens and diced maple glazed sweet potatoes.  Man, I'm hungry just typing this!
  • Options
    That sounds soo good! Chicken Marsala is wonderful.

Thank you all for the great ideas!
    Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I just checked out your bio.  Beautiful wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards