Chit Chat
Options

The anticipation is killing me...

One of my best friend's boyfriend messaged me a week or so ago outlining his proposal plan for while he and my friend were on vacation, asking if I thought she would like it or if she'd ever mentioned a specific ideal proposal. I thought it was so cute of him to ask my opinion, but now the anticipation is horrible. They just posted status updates about being at the restaurant where he was going to pop the question!! It's been so hard keeping the secret from our other friends and family and knowing it's probably happening as I type is exciting, but it's so hard waiting! Thanks for letting my secret with internet strangers ;)

Re: The anticipation is killing me...

• Options
    Oh, that's so exciting! Let us know how it turns out!
    Anniversary

I'm gonna go with 'not my circus, not my monkeys.'
  • Options
    I know the feeling!!  My brother asked me to hang on to the ring he bought for my SIL, for about 9 months.  It was killer and I was always worried I'd lose it.  I hid it in the kitchen cupboards, cos I figured it was obscure enough that I wouldn't forget where I put it.  Let us know when you hear

• Options
    My best friend's boyfriend (also a very good friend of mine) called me last November to tell me he bought a ring for her, but he didn't tell me when he was proposing.  I was so giddy every time I hung out with them, waiting to hear the news.  I thought it would happen Thanksgiving...nope; thought it would happen Christmas...nope; thought hey maybe New Years!?...nope.  He didn't do it til her birthday in February!  Ugh that killed me holding in that secret, but I squealed like a school girl the second I finally got the message of the engagement.

• Options
    Exciting!!!!
  • Options
    Ooh, I have a story!

There was a year-long rift between me and some of my friends: Sandy and Tamra and Tamra's boyfriend Dan. I had only recently started speaking to Tamra again (but not Sandy).

Then Sandy texted me out of the blue one day. Dan wanted to propose to Tamra but didn't know what kind of ring she wanted and if Sandy asked her it would be too obvious that she was doing it for Dan. So Sandy texted me to see if I knew what kind of ring Tamra liked because I had "been her (Tamra's) friend for so long."

Since I had only recently started speaking to Tamra again, I took her out for drinks. I then showed her my ring and asked her all sorts of questions about what kind of ring she wanted. I then covertly texted Sandy everything I learned.

I couldn't wait for my friend to find out that these 3 people (2 of whom weren't speaking to 1) all conspired to pick out her perfect ring.

A year later:
    I'm going to Tamra and Dan's wedding 3 weeks after mine, and both Tamra and Sandy are my bridesmaids.

...And now I'm crying.

ETA: All names are fake (and clarity).
    Aw, what a great story! 

I'm still waiting to hear, but they're out of the country, so I'm not sure if she can use her phone to call the States...
  • Options
    My fiance showed me my ring about 11 months before he actually proposed. So I totally understand about anticipation.

I remember the anticipation too when my one friend was going to Disney World with her boyfriend and his family. I thought to myself, "He'd better propose there or he doesn't know her at all." Of course he did but the whole time I knew they were down there I awaited a text.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

My friends and I planned a girls night out one Saturday night. The Thursday before, my friend's bf had asked me if I would help him plan the proposal at the restaurant during girls night out. On Friday, we went to the restaurant and set it up with them. Saturday night came and I was a wreck. I nearly gave it away. Luckily, she was oblivious and it was a big surprise.

• Options
    I just heard from her this evening. She got back in the country last night and her phone didn't work while she was gone. She asked me what was going on with me and let me chatter away for a few minutes before I could ask about her trip :) She said yes, loved the proposal set up (private room at a restaurant with a beautiful view, roses, nice dinner) and thought it was very cute that he had consulted me with his plan.
  • Options
    Woo! Congratulations to your friend!
  • Options
    Aww, that's so sweet. I love that he ran the plan by you. 

My brother told me yesterday he's going to propose to his girlfriend on NYE. I have no idea how I'm going to keep my mouth shut for so long!
  • Options
    Has anyone seen this video; "Surprise wedding; Bride had no idea"

It was super sweet, what this guy did.  :)
  • Options
    That's a real know-your-audience kind of thing. I would have run away screaming. Probably good share of arm-flailing, too. Very Kermit-like.
  • Options
    That's a real know-your-audience kind of thing. I would have run away screaming. Probably good share of arm-flailing, too. Very Kermit-like.

I agree.  I would not have enjoyed that.  On top of that my dad specifically requested that FI not propose in public.  He didn't want me to feel pressure to say yes with a million eyes on me.  I would have said yes regardless if it was public or not but my dad was just being an over protective parent.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    That is torture I know!  I lived with my best friend and her then-boyfriend (now husband) a few years back.  I knew he was proposing when they went on vacation one year and it was torture not being too excited for her leaving, and then waiting all damn week to find out when it really happened... I wanted to stalk her everyday waiting for the good news.

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards