Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

$20/person

Is this a reasonable budget for food?

NOT having a sit down meal.

NOT having an open bar.

Re: $20/person

• Options
    I think it depends on your area and what type of food you want to serve. It also depends on your venue. It would probably be easier to get that price if you pick a venue where you can bring in your own caterer because then you can bring in a restaurant or something to cater. 
  • Options
    I think it depends on your area and what type of food you want to serve. It also depends on your venue. It would probably be easier to get that price if you pick a venue where you can bring in your own caterer because then you can bring in a restaurant or something to cater. 

Our venue let's us bring in outside caters and bartenders.
  • Options
    I agree that it will depend on your area and what type of food you're serving, whether it will be a buffet vs a sit down meal, etc.

For example, I live in Arizona. We are having a basic crackers, cheeses, fruits appetizer, a salad, and a pasta buffet. Along with drinks (non-alcoholic), its come up to about $16pp. And this was with the cheapest caterer we could find in our area!
    So depending on what type of meal you're doing, I'd say $20pp is fairly reasonable.
  • Options
    This completely depends on what you're serving, if it's lunch/dinner, where you live, etc. Need more info.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    We paid $20 pp for a pig roast with five sides, outside Philadelphia. That doesn't include the 17% event fee or sales tax. That was just food; we DIYed the bar.
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013
    Agreed, what time of day and where will the wedding be held?  Here in MI I can (and am) serving dinner at DD's wedding next summer (2 entrees, potato, 2 veg, fruit salad, rolls and butter) for 17.94 a plate (tax and 20% gratuity included).  On the East or West coast or larger cities like Chicago, New York, or Atlanta?  You won't get the caterer in the door for 20 bucks.

More info please and we can help you with this.

ETA:  OK, I see you are both in the military from your post history.  Thanks for your service.  I retired after 26 years just over a year ago, myself. I'm thinking Charleston might be a higher cost area.  Have you gotten any quotes yet?
  • Options
    Location and time of day would be helpful.

Also, when you say you're not having an open bar - does that mean you're planning on having a cash bar? If so, please reconsider. It's not polite to ask your guests to pay for their own drinks when you are the one hosting the reception.
  • Options
    where i am connecticut prices can be high because of where we live we got a full sit down dinner with open bar dj cake and centerpeices for the reception at 75pp including tax tip and service charge if we took out the dj cake and flowers it would be a whole lot less pp but then we would be paying more out of pocket to hire a dj find a cake and get centerpeices 
  • Options
    allispain said:
     It's not polite to ask your guests to pay for their own drinks when you are the one hosting the reception.
    AN open bar would be a WASTE of money. Over 90% f my guests are under 21.
  • Options

Thinking about doing the ceremony at 1300.

And it's in Charleston, SC. So everything wedding is EXPENSIVE here

• Options
    It really depends.  I've seen catering costs from $9.95pp to $150pp in my area.  One of the best caterers in our area tops out at $18.95pp.  Many others cost a lot more for a worse meal.

You should be able to pay open bar on legal drinking age guests only - check with the venue/bartending service.  There's no reason for you to be paying an open bar per person for people who can't drink.  Or see if you can do a consumption bar rather than a flat rate, if only 10% of your guests will drink it shouldn't be too bad.

And for the love of god please stop capitalizing random words.  Not necessary.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Captilization to empahize certain words, is not capitilzing random words.

I'd rather not have an open bar at my wedding. If guests NEED free booze to have fun, then I really don't need them there.

I'll have sweet tea, unsweet tea and lemonade for free.

• Options
    NavyNuke said:

I'd rather not have an open bar at my wedding. If guests NEED free booze to have fun, then I really don't need them there.

If you offer alcohol, you should pay for it. To not pay for it is considered rude and your event will not be properly hosted. At a properly hosted event, guests don't pay for things that are offered. In other words, if you offered pasta, but charged your guests if they wanted meatballs, your event would not be properly hosted. If you offer sweet tea, but charged your guest if they want vodka in it, your event would not be properly hosted.

If 90% of your guests are under 21, they obviously won't be drinking so you wouldn't be paying for an open bar for those guests. When you get a quote on open bar, make sure you only get quoted on the number of people OVER 21. If the caterer isn't clear on that, they'll quote you for everyone. It actually works in your favor that you have such a young crowd - you can offer open bar, but it'll be far cheaper.

If you can't afford to offer an open bar consider having a signature drink (sweet tea and vodka, or a John Daly) or just offering beer and wine to over 21 guests. If you can't afford alcohol at all, then just don't offer it.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

I dont consider an open bar tacky or rude.

Nor does my family.

Nor does his.

It's VERY rude to expect free booze at a wedding.

• Options
    LiLe422LiLe422 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited September 2013
    NavyNuke said:

Nor does my family.

Nor does his.

Huh?  Im guessing you meant "cash bar?"

It is even more rude to expect your guests to pay for their drinks.  Host the party you can afford.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    NavyNuke said:

Nor does my family.

Nor does his.

Asking your guests to pay for their own food and/or drink at your wedding is rude. Host what you can afford. 

It's rude of guests to expect free booze, but it doesn't mean it's ok for you to be rude back and charge them for it. Don't offer it if you can't afford it. If you can afford some alcohol, but not a full, open bar, do just beer and wine or just a signature drink. 

• Options
    I would suggest you get quotes for the bar and let them know only a certain percentage is of age or maybe consider beer and wine or a signature drink only. If only 10% of your guests will be drinking, that should allow you to host their drinks but not have to pay for the 90% that are under 21 years, so it shouldn't be too bad. 

I don't think that people should expect free alcohol but they don't expect to have to pay for part of your reception. If you can't afford to host the alcohol, don't have it all. Honestly, there's no problem with that and if people complain about it they are the rude ones. 

As for food pricing, $20pp seems pretty reasonable to me but I a don't know if that is realistic if you are saying your area is an expensive area. I would say get several catering quotes and see what your options are. Maybe someone on the local boards can give you a better idea for your specific area. Like PPs said, catering really varies. We are getting married in Sonoma which is a very expensive area and our food per person is about $100, not including cake or the bar. 
  • Options
    cowgirl8238cowgirl8238 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2013
    As for food pricing, $20pp seems pretty reasonable to me but I a don't know if that is realistic if you are saying your area is an expensive area. I would say get several catering quotes and see what your options are. Maybe someone on the local boards can give you a better idea for your specific area. Like PPs said, catering really varies. We are getting married in Sonoma which is a very expensive area and our food per person is about $100, not including cake or the bar. 

I agree that food prices vary based on so many factors.  In planning our menu, one place offered food at $20pp but everything outside a meat, veg and starch was ala cart.  Another caterer offered a full package of apps, salads, and entrees (with no cake cutting fees or corking fees or anything else) for around $45pp.  I have also seen $75pp but it included the cake and the centerpieces!  And this is just central PA mind you.

I am originally from Long Island and helped two different brides plan their weddings.  For them catering started  at $45pp and went well up into the $150 range if you wanted passed apps/food stations and a dinner.  Honestly it is hard to determine what a "good price" is without more details on the amount of food you are getting and the type of food.  Obviously a BBQ lunch will be less than a 4 course meal.

As far as the acohol is concerned I can't image that can't find an option where they won't charge you for every person in attendance.  (I actually have seen a catere that did this and thusly did  use their services)  If you can't afford to host a full open bar for those who are of drinking age consider a partial bar of only beer wine and a signature drink, or have a dry wedding.  It is considered very rude to host a partial bar or a cash bar. (See the sticky on this board if you are not convinced)  I hope that you will make the right decision and host a wedding you can afford.

Edit for missing word

• Options
    grumbledoregrumbledore member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    I dont consider an open bar tacky or rude. Nor does my family. Nor does his. It's VERY rude to expect free booze at a wedding. It's not VERY rude to expect free booze at a wedding where alcohol is being served. It IS rude to expect alcohol to be served period, which is in no way required. It IS rude to "offer" alcohol at your guests' expense.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I agree that food prices vary based on so many factors.  In planning our menu, one place offered food at $20pp but everything outside a meat, veg and starch was ala cart.  Another caterer offered a full package of apps, salads, and entrees (with no cake cutting fees or corking fees or anything else) for around $45pp.  I have also seen $75pp but it included the cake and the centerpieces!  And this is just central PA mind you.

I am originally from Long Island and helped two different brides plan their weddings.  For them catering started  at $45pp and went well up into the $150 range if you wanted passed apps/food stations and a dinner.  Honestly it is hard to determine what a "good price" is without more details on the amount of food you are getting and the type of food.  Obviously a BBQ lunch will be less than a 4 course meal.

As far as the acohol is concerned I can't image that can't find an option where they won't charge you for every person in attendance.  (I actually have seen a caterer that did this and thusly did  use their services)  If you can't afford to host a full open bar for those who are of drinking age consider a partial bar of only beer wine and a signature drink, or have a dry wedding.  It is considered very rude to host a partial bar or a cash bar. (See the sticky on this board if you are not convinced)  I hope that you will make the right decision and host a wedding you can afford.

Edit for missing word

My venue is charging $35/person/hour for full top-shelf open bar, and then $5/person/hour for any guest under the age of 21 (sodas, juice, sparking grape juice for toasts, etc) . With my family, that group is a good 20 guests, so I'm VERY happy we didn't have to pay full price for them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    NavyNuke said:

Then don't offer alcohol period.  

I suggest adding pop to your drink choices though.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards