North Carolina-Outer Banks

WEDDING IN ANOTHER STATE

I am originally from Mississippi, but then moved to Virginia a few years ago. I met my fiancé there, and his entire family lives there. We are currently planning to have the wedding there for the mountainous view, but all of my family still lives in Mississippi. It is a constant struggle between both sides of the family because neither sides want to travel. I am from the south and my family is huge, even the distant cousins attend. How do I make both of them happy, and how do I ask them to travel so far to come to the wedding? How do I get an accurate guest count on top of all of that?

Re: WEDDING IN ANOTHER STATE

• I was in a similar situation. I'm originally from Maryland and moved to North Carolina where I met my fiancé. Most of his family lives here also, with some of his family living in West Virginia. I had the same problems when deciding on where to have the wedding, I finally went with what I had always dreamed about, having my wedding in the outer banks, even though a destination wedding is beyond stressful for me! The way I looked at it, this way both families are going to have to travel about 6-8 hours depending on where they live. I know that some people won't be able to come due to travel but the people that mean the most to us will be there and that's all that matters. At the end of the day, it's about you and your fiancé and those that love you will come. People will complain but people will always find something to complain about! Good luck with your decision!!!
  • I'm in agreement with Sauerwalde.  I'm from Massachusetts and my fiance is from Hampton Roads.  We met and live in DC, but have always had the Outer Banks as common ground for both families.  I've found that the people who care about and love you, will come to the wedding no matter what the distance.  It comes down to what you want for yourselves - don't worry about everyone else!  That's what will make your day fabulous =)  The destination planning isn't as bad as everyone says it is, either - go with your gut, girl!
  • I'm not exactly sure what your question is... both my husband and my family lives in Central PA, but we elected to have our wedding last year in the Outer Banks. Probably a 7 hour trip for most people, and for some a longer trip. We made the decision going in that it wasn't going to bother us if people were unable to come to our wedding because of the location. Those who truly want to be there, will make the effort to come. Maybe you could compromise on a more half way location for both families? In terms of an accurate guest count, you would still send out invites and RSVP cards, those who don't RSVP, you will have to follow up with them to see if they plan to come or not. We had about 5 people who never sent in their cards who came to the wedding. Of course there were last minute cancellations, but that would happen no matter where your wedding was. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards