Chit Chat

Make-up

Ok, I am having a hell of a time trying to find a good make-up artist. The wedding is still 8 months or so away so I have some times but the prices are ridiculous. I've had my make-up done professionally for another wedding, and I hated it. She didn't do anything I asked and I wound up doing it myself.. and was out the money. I'm hesitant to book anyone, but at the same time I want to look like the most beautiful version of myself on the wedding day. Problem is, everywhere I've looked, they want like $150.00! Call me cheap but I think that is ridiculous. That's like a years worth of makeup....for one day. Anyone else think that's expensive?

Re: Make-up

• It depends where you are if it's expensive. In NYC, I wouldn't bat an eye. In a small town in the midwest, I'd cry thief. 

You always have the option of going to get your make-up done at a department store make-up counter. Usually there's a minimum purchase, but it's around $50. What you may be able to do is talk to the person at the make-up counter and ask them if they free lance (out of earshot of their manager). If they do, you might be able to get them come onsite to do yours and whoever wants theirs done from your bridal party. 
    *********************************************************************************

• edited September 2013
    Ask around through everyone you know. Do any of your friends or family members know any make-up artists? 
  • Is she doing just makeup or hair also? Is she coming on site to do it, if so how far is she traveling? I think those are things to consider when you are getting your prices. Anything for weddings are typically going to with higher price tags. Mine cost $400 for hair and makeup for bridal portraits and wedding day. She comes on site though for both instances. She was $250 for just wedding day. I loved her though when she did my bridal portraits. She did an amazing job, gave me false eye lashes at no additional cost and used air brush makeup. She is also going to be doing my mother, 5 bridesmaids, and hair for the flower girl. So she is bringing one other hair and makeup artist as well as an assistant. I am pretty pleased with the ultimate cost, even though I would love it to have been less. I'm from the Woodlands, Texas (a suburb of Houston) for comparison purposes!
    1385876 10200959833108451 1467805166 n
  • Oh trust me, I have! My cousin is the only one who knows, and that was the one I hated lol.

• That sucks. I happen to be lucky in that one of my very close friends is an awesome hairdresser/make-up artist. And I live in NY too where that stuff is expensive. I had no idea what would be considered too expensive, you know?
  • Is she doing just makeup or hair also? Is she coming on site to do it, if so how far is she traveling? I think those are things to consider when you are getting your prices. Anything for weddings are typically going to with higher price tags. Mine cost $400 for hair and makeup for bridal portraits and wedding day. She comes on site though for both instances. She was $250 for just wedding day. I loved her though when she did my bridal portraits. She did an amazing job, gave me false eye lashes at no additional cost and used air brush makeup. She is also going to be doing my mother, 5 bridesmaids, and hair for the flower girl. So she is bringing one other hair and makeup artist as well as an assistant. I am pretty pleased with the ultimate cost, even though I would love it to have been less. I'm from the Woodlands, Texas (a suburb of Houston) for comparison purposes!
    The only other thing I want to add here, is I really wanted someone who knew what photographed well. I am not great at doing my own makeup and am horrible at my hair. So if you do a decent job, then maybe you would be okay just doing your own. However, I wanted to not look washed out in my photos and since my artist specializes in weddings, she knew the right amount of makeup to put on me to make sure I didn't look over done but that I photographed well. So regardless of what you do, I would consider that! But I would try bridal shows as well - some hair and makeup artists give discounts and special rates to anyone who books within x days of the bridal show.
    1385876 10200959833108451 1467805166 n
  • I'm in the Chicago suburbs, so prices here are a little higher too. I'm looking for hair and makeup or just makeup. I possibly have someone that can do my hair. The thing is, I live locally to where we are getting married so I would be going to them and they still want $150... and they don't ever give free trials. So I have t opay $75 for a trial even if I end up hating it. I have a problem with that. If I knew how to do better eye makeup I would just do it myself, but every time I try the smokey eye I look like a hooker lol so I tend to stay more natural.

• Ok, I am having a hell of a time trying to find a good make-up artist. The wedding is still 8 months or so away so I have some times but the prices are ridiculous. I've had my make-up done professionally for another wedding, and I hated it. She didn't do anything I asked and I wound up doing it myself.. and was out the money. I'm hesitant to book anyone, but at the same time I want to look like the most beautiful version of myself on the wedding day. Problem is, everywhere I've looked, they want like $150.00! Call me cheap but I think that is ridiculous. That's like a years worth of makeup....for one day. Anyone else think that's expensive?

I went to a beauty school in my area for hair and makeup on my wedding day. I did have to bring some of my own makeup (they didn't have waterproof mascara/eyeliner, etc) but I would've brought my own anyways.

We have a Paul Mitchell school as well as a local school called VICI.

It was $25.

Do you have any beauty schools near you?

• I do actually, right in town. Didn't really think about it. I will definitely try it out. If I don't like it I just won't go back, but at least I won't be out $75
  • 150 is a normal price for my area.  My photographer shoots in HD so I wouldn't feel comfortable doing my own make up. 

Last summer for my FSIL's wedding I had my make up professionally done.  I felt like a drag queen.  It was a lot more make up then I'm used to wearing but I must say I looked amazing in all the pictures and it lasted all day long.  I never could have gotten myself to look that good.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Unfortunately, I think it's just one of those things you need to figure out where it lies on your priority list. If your makeup is one of your top priorities, I'd spend the money to get it done exactly how you want it, and adjust your budget accordingly. You may have to spend less in a different area.

• You can also try salons in your area-sometimes they do special occasion makeup (if you are willing to go to them). Most AVEDA salons do it. 

$150 was about what I paid, but that included $50 for the trial and $100 for day of. If you had to pay $150 plus a fee for the trial I would think that was outrageous.
  • WonderRedWonderRed member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited September 2013
    The gal who has done my hair for the last seven years also does make up.  She charges $45 for make up and $70 for an updo so I'm getting both for less than $150 without doing trials.   So yes, I think that's expensive.  If I didn't know her though, I'd definitely be doing a trial first.

ETA:  I'm in Denver.
  • I hated my makeup when it was done professionally. The makeup aged me 10 years and it fell off my face in about an hour. I ended up going to Sephora and buying all sorts of makeup. Since their return policy is awesome, I just kept returning makeup until I found some that I really liked. Their makeup artists also gave me lessons - I ended up buying over $50 worth of makeup so they sat me down, did my makeup and taught me how to do it. You have enough time to find products that work well for you and to practice.
  • I sent you a PM let me know if you hav questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards