Just Engaged and Proposals

Two Proposals?!

Nick and I have always had a competitive relationship (that’s how we met is I took his promotion at work)  a few months after he proposed I  jokingly told him that  one day I’ll make him my husband and he laughed and said he’ll make me his wife first. This joke as been coming up a lot and… well I was thinking that, we haven’t gotten his ring yet (the wedding is a bit off so we kinda put it on the back burner) 

I’ve been thinking of taking him to the movies (where we first met)  and wait until we are in the middle of the lobby and yell  at the top of my lungs “Nick let me make you my husband” and hold out his wedding band for him. 

I really am loving the idea and his friends and family think it would be great too. Is it weird? As anyone else proposed to their  FI? I would love to hear some advice or some stories for some ideas! Thank you all for reading this and I appreciate any advice!   

Re: Two Proposals?!

• Paging @phira - I think her situation was not too dissimilar. That being said, I'd avoid embarrassing him.
  • My partner and I planned our engagement together, so we didn't really propose to each other. We did get each other rings (he's wearing an engagement band and we'll replace it with his wedding band when we're married). We didn't really propose officially, more like we talked about it more and more and picked a day for it to be official.

I might not propose to him publicly, mostly because most people I know might find it embarrassing. I'm confused though--it sounds like you're already engaged?
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • My bad, phira - I'm really off today. This cold has fogged my brain up to no end.
  • This sounds weird and unnecessary. You're engaged, just go with it. 
  • I agree. I think its weird that you want to scream in the middle of a movie theatre. I would encourage you to use your 'inside voice.'  And why do you need to propose him? He asked, you said yes. This isnt a competition.

Also, I would let him pick out his own ring since he will be the one wearing it.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @keptinstitches no worries. You should have seen me trying to teach today with a cold. It was embarrassing.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I agree that it's weird. I don't think you should do it. 
  • That sounds incredibly weird and highly embarrassing.  Just enjoy being engaged.  And honestly, the whole "let me make you my husband" just sounds really odd.

• Uh, I can kind of see it being cute for you to get down on one knee in the middle of the lobby and propose to him (not loud and obnoxious; people are bound to see you anyway), but I agree that it's so unnecessary. You're already engaged. Enjoy it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • alainajg said:
    Nick and I have always had a competitive relationship (that’s how we met is I took his promotion at work)  a few months after he proposed I  jokingly told him that  one day I’ll make him my husband and he laughed and said he’ll make me his wife first. This joke as been coming up a lot and… well I was thinking that, we haven’t gotten his ring yet (the wedding is a bit off so we kinda put it on the back burner) 

I’ve been thinking of taking him to the movies (where we first met)  and wait until we are in the middle of the lobby and yell  at the top of my lungs “Nick let me make you my husband” and hold out his wedding band for him. 

I really am loving the idea and his friends and family think it would be great too. Is it weird? As anyone else proposed to their  FI? I would love to hear some advice or some stories for some ideas! Thank you all for reading this and I appreciate any advice!   

I'm confused.  Please -- enlighten me. 

You're already engaged, yet you want to one up your FH's proposal with a your own (humiliating) public proposal?

So strange.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Well it sounds weird to us because we don't know you personally.Do what feels right. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you think he'll appreciate it, I say go for it! :)

• I agree with everyone else. I understand that it's a cute joke that you two would argue about who would beat the other to the proposal, but he already proposed. It would make more sense if you had actually beat him to the proposal.

However, I think presenting his wedding band at the place you first met is a nice idea. I just don't think yelling or acting like it's a proposal is a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards