Chit Chat
Options

multi day destination bachelorette parties

2»

Re: multi day destination bachelorette parties

• Options
    Depends on the crowd.

There's a group of us girls that go away together 2-3 times a year, so when one of the girls offered,I was ok with it.  Either way, we're going somewhere before the wedding. But we're already an established group that has rules about distance to travel and budget range.  

But I can see how it's weird when people who don't know each other very well has to spend 2-3 days together.  I am assuming everyone knows the bride but not all the BMs or friends going would know each other.
  • Options
    I've never understood multiway b parties. The only people I would want to spend a whole weekend with other than H are my 3 best friends. I know if a full weekend wine tasting weekend bachelorette party coming up and I already decided that I would rather save my money and time than spend all 2.5 of my days off work traveling and with several women I don't know.

• Options
    kgd7357kgd7357 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2013

I have a very overzealous BM that informed me that she and the MOH planned to throw me THREE bach parties: one in NYC where the MOH lives, one in DC where her and I live, and one in the Caribbean. I would never want people to spend that much time/money on me. I handled the situation my letting her know that I couldn't take off any days leading up to the wedding since we are having a long honeymoon. My BMs and friends that are coming are scattered between CT, NYC, Pittsburgh, Philly, and DC. So the compromise is a night out in NYC after a CT bridal shower, and a second night out in DC a different weekend for my local friends that couldn't make it up to CT. While I think it's a little overkill, I did like that people won't have to feel left out if they can't travel long distances or pay for an NYC hotel room.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Options
    I wouldn't want one where the entire thing was a BP.  Now, if we planned a girls weekend and they wanted to turn one evening into a BP where they spotted my dinner I wouldn't complain.  It could hypothetically work with my girlsfriends but the 3 adults all know each other.  3 of us went to high school together, and 3 of us used to hang out and go on weekend trips a few times a year, and the other two have at least met.  They all live in different states so travel would be inevitable regardless.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    The only person I like enough to spend several days with is my H.  Now if it was a destination that is easy to get to (like Vegas for me), I might make a weekend trip out of it with H and meet up for a few different activities with the bachelorette party, but spending an entire weekend with a bunch of chicks, no thanks.
    You don't like your best friend enough to spend a few days with her?
    I don't go on vacation with my friends.  I still love them.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think they're awesome!!! Most of my BMs know each other well and get along great. When I initially got engaged, most of them were conversing about Vegas and an awesome weekend trip. While I loved that idea, I didn't feel comfortable making them pay for me (which I won't allow) and I wasn't sure it would work for everyone. All of my girls live somewhere other than the location of the wedding now that we've moved away from home out of college, so we decided to make a little 2 day party before the rehearsal dinner. This way, it's only one trip, and it will be a lot less expensive than anything Vegas. 

The most important thing is to ask your BMs INDIVIDUALLY if they can afford/manage something like that. My biggest concern was leaving someone out or making them feel uncomfortable by proposing something as big as that, plus if you ask them all together, someone is going to over power another girl. This is a great way for all of us to get together and hang out before the big day.

I was thinking a larger party with a lot of friends at my parents house one night (maybe a lingerie shower or something risque fun) and then the second day just spending time with my Besties (a.k.a. my BMs)

• Options
    Thinking about it, my bachelorette party (if I have such a thing) would either be destination for me, or destination for my BP, because we're about a 4 hours drive away from each other. But it definitely wouldn't be a multi-day thing.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • Options
    Another vote for obnoxious.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think it's a little unfair to call destination parties "obnoxious" because it doesn't necessarily have to be a "look at me" type of weekend.  It can be a great opportunity to get together with good friends and have a lot of fun.  I completely agree that it is a "know your crowd" type of situation.  If you talk it over with the group and everyone is in agreement with the cost and location, it can be a lot of fun. I've gone to several of these parties and luckily, everyone has been gracious enough to start planning them early and providing expectations of cost for preparations.  I have great memories from these parties and hope to make more at my own destination party this weekend (!!).  For mine, we chose a driveable location known for partying and planned lots of activities, but the hotel, travel and activities are of a reasonable cost that everyone agreed was doable.  Local parties can also be a lot of fun, but I'm surprised to see the word "obnoxious" mentioned and then no reference to penis hats/straws/banners, tiaras, sashes, light up pins, etc...UGH
  • Options

If you and your bridal party all live in separate states, by definition, it's pretty much impossible not to have a "destination" bachelorette party. I'll be having mine in the town where I live, but only 4 of the 10 people in my bridal party actually live down here, so for the other 6, it'll be a destination.

I think, in a lot of situations, it's pretty much unavoidable that a few people will have to travel. And if that's the case, I see nothing wrong with picking a fun destination for all to go to. Then again, I guess I'm just very different from some of the people on here. I can't fathom not being able to spend a few days with someone I consider to be my best friend. My best friends and I have gone on week long vacations together for as long as I can remember and at the end of the week, I'm left wanting more, not less.

• Options
    I think it's a little unfair to call destination parties "obnoxious" because it doesn't necessarily have to be a "look at me" type of weekend.  It can be a great opportunity to get together with good friends and have a lot of fun.  I completely agree that it is a "know your crowd" type of situation.  If you talk it over with the group and everyone is in agreement with the cost and location, it can be a lot of fun. I've gone to several of these parties and luckily, everyone has been gracious enough to start planning them early and providing expectations of cost for preparations.  I have great memories from these parties and hope to make more at my own destination party this weekend (!!).  For mine, we chose a driveable location known for partying and planned lots of activities, but the hotel, travel and activities are of a reasonable cost that everyone agreed was doable.  Local parties can also be a lot of fun, but I'm surprised to see the word "obnoxious" mentioned and then no reference to penis hats/straws/banners, tiaras, sashes, light up pins, etc...UGH
    Thank you! To pass judgement on someone for having a big blowout weekend is ridiculous. Just because it's not what YOU would do doesn't mean that someone is obnoxious for wanting to have a big weekend with their friends. I don't really consider my bachelorette party a destination bc it's 30 minutes from my house, but we are spending the night in New Orleans. Going to Channing Tatum's restaurant and then going party in the French Quarter all night. We got a hotel room because we will be drinking and don't want to drive back. I don't need people to look at me all night. I'm not going to be dressed all in sashes, tiaras, and penises. It's just a party/night to spend with my best friends to celebrate our friendship. Also, no one is paying for me.
  • Options

I think most people found the multiday aspect to be obnoxious.

I agree that it is a know your crowd sort of thing, but remember that just because they are your closest friend doesn't mean they consider each other to be their closest friends. I am invited to a multi day party that is about 2 hrs away (so destination but not crazy far) and to be honest, I find it obnoxious to be asked to spend a whole weekend with several people I don't know (like I know the bride and another girl). I would totally be down for a weekend wine tasting, but I want it to be with people I know and love. I know the bride is inviting all of her closest friends, but they aren't mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards