Chit Chat
Options

Throw Back Indulgences

Sweet mother Mary!!!!

Someone brought in classic ice cream sandwiches today - the rectangular ones vanilla ice cream between thin brown cookies. I forgot how absolutely DELICIOUS these are. As I indulge, it got me thinking... what else have I completely forgotten about that I love(d)? I came up with:

choco-tacos from the ice cream truck
after school cartoons (particularly Darkwing Duck and Chip&Dale Rescue Rangers)
my old Skip-It
corn dog day in the cafeteria

Anyone else missing throw back indulgences and/or simple pleasures from childhood? What are they?
*********************************************************************************

Re: Throw Back Indulgences

• Options
    Wishbone
    Bill Nye the Science Guy (you know, back when he just showed us really cool science stuff)
    Garfield and Friends
    My grandma's home-canned dill pickles
    Actually, let's just go with my grandma's cooking
    Star Wars from when Han shot first
  • Options

Kool-aid

Playing in the snow/actually enjoying when it snowed

Disney movies

Rugrats

Barbies/My Little pony

Spelling tests (yes, I loved spelling)

• Options
    Skip-It!!  OMG I loved that thing!

Any and all 90's tv series on nickelodeon (salute your shorts, guts, hey dude, doug, rugrats, secret world of alex mack, etc)

My red jeep power wheels.

I also now really want an ice cream sandwich!!

• Options
    Mmm choco-tacos! 

Agreed with Maggie about any/all Nickelodeon shows. Also, I want to add Are You Afraid of the Dark to her list. 

Goosebumps books.

Dominos for lunch every Tuesday at school.

Sno-Caps and Cherry Coke at the movies. These are 2 of my favorite things about going to the movies and none of the theaters I go to have them anymore :(

Snow days. We could have 4 feet of snow on the ground (and we have) and I'll still be expected to get to work. 

• Options
    ooo! More:

- my Lisa Frank trapper keeper
    - the classroom game 7-up (anyone?)
    - my tamagotchi 
    - field trips to just about anywhere
    - playing dream phone and girl talk (that truth or dare game)
    - goosebumps and the boxcar children books
    - the locker mirror/white board that I got for my birthday and put in my locker.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Oh wait, I got one more!
    Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
  • Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2013

The original Pudding Pops (not the newly released ones that taste gross). Those were so good that I use to sneak them to eat.

• Options
    Summer break!  Almost 3 glorious months without a care in the world.

Everything you all listed are just so many things that I have forgotten.

What are the kids of today going to think back on...their iphone and ipad?

And I remember playing 7-up in class.

God I miss being a kid sometimes.

• Options
    Wishbone
    Bill Nye the Science Guy (you know, back when he just showed us really cool science stuff)
    Garfield and Friends
    My grandma's home-canned dill pickles
    Actually, let's just go with my grandma's cooking
    Star Wars from when Han shot first
    You can watch him on Dancing with the Stars!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I used to "Skip it" till I had a bruise around my ankle.

Nothing better than 90s Nickelodeon!!!  (Hey Arnold and Clarissa explains it all)

Other 90s favs: Edward scissorhands, Don't tell mom the babysitters dead, and Drop dead Fred. And the TGIF line up on ABC.

Kids now won't understand what good movies or boy bands are.  One Direction has nothing on New Kids, BSB, and NSYNC.

Huge fan of icecream sandwiches, choco tacos, and what we called dixie cups.  The small cup of half chocolate/half vanilla icecream.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I can, and I am, but it's not the same as the PBS show, and I do miss the show.
  • Options
    Legends of the Hidden Temple

Orange crush

My Little Pony (though I do watch the new one)

Antiquing with my aunt and uncle.

Anniversary
  • Options
    Oh! And Pizza Hut Book-it!!!!

That was the shit.

Anniversary
  • Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    edited September 2013

What about those little ice cream cups that came in strawberry and chocolate and you used a little wooden spoon. We use to get those during birthday celebrations in class.

Edit-I noticed that all mine are food related. This prewedding diet is killing me!

• Options
    chibiyui said:
    Legends of the Hidden Temple Orange crush My Little Pony (though I do watch the new one) Antiquing with my aunt and uncle.
    I LOVED that show.  A group of my friends went as the teams for Halloween a few years ago, it was funny how many people stopped them and took pictures.

Otter Pops

TRL when they actually played music.  Heck, MTV and VH1 in general when they actually played music.

Heads Up 7 Up (that's what we called the game in school)

Actually playing outside as a child.  Red Rover, Tag, Hide & seek, etc.
  • Options
    I miss my old computer games....

Oregon Trail
    Yukon Trail
    Sim Tower

I loved Legends of the Hidden Temple, Carmen San Diego and lots of other old shows. My brothers have been playing the Duck Tales video game which makes me remember watching that show.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Did anyone else watch You Can't Do That on Television?
  • Options
    Did anyone else watch You Can't Do That on Television?
    I did!  The 80s version...
  • Options
    Please do not judge, but when I was little my mom used to put little dollops of whipped cream on each of my fingers to make them look like flowers, then I'd lick them off. Amazing! 

Also, Big Wheels were awesome. The Little Bits (a cartoon). TGIF (Dinosaurs, Family Matters, etc.). Eating to my heart's content without gaining weight (wistful sigh). 

Lastly, THE BABY-SITTERS CLUB. I mean, was there any night better than one spent curled up in bed reading about Claudia's outfits, Stacey's sophistication, Kristy's bossiness, Mallory's huge family, Jessie's dancing, Mary Anne's shyness, and Dawn's California-ness? No, there really wasn't. 

• Options
    Ahh yes Babysitter's Club! I also loved Sweet Valley High. I always wished Jessica and Elizabeth were my besties and that I was a perfect size 6.

I also loved You Can't Do That On Television. Skating Parties, square pizza, recess (we should totally get that at work), the flat iron that would put shapes in my side pony, Jem, and KIDS Inc. sigh..... The good ol days
  • Options
    Anyone have one of these?

Or does anyone remember finding a disposable camera, not remembering what pictures were on it and paying extra for 1 hr film developing so you could get the pictures faster?

• Options
    I'm sure when kids today are our age they'll reminisce about those adorable cell phones that weren't implanted in your head, Harry Potter (not the 2050 remake) and 2D movies. Or something.

Ditto on Bill Nye and Carmen! Also:

-Animorphs (a new book every month!!!)
    -Scholastic book club
    -Ghostwriter (word!)
    -LOVE Lisa Frank.
  • Options
    I had Polly Pocket! None of the others, though ...
  • Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    edited September 2013
    I don't have a talkboy but I did have a walkman. My first CD was Debbie Gibson......
  • Options
    I had that exact Polly Pocket! I also had the off-band version of the TopsyTail. Pony flip, maybe.

Scholastic Book Fairs
    Rectangle Pizza
    Boy Meets World (though I have the entire series on DVD, so I don't miss it too much)
    Sailor Moon
    The Book-It program
    Summer Camp
    Bug Juice
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Purplesaurus Rex Kool-Aid.  I recreate it by eating a purple and a lemon Skittle at the same time. 
  • Options
    ElcaB said:
    Please do not judge, but when I was little my mom used to put little dollops of whipped cream on each of my fingers to make them look like flowers, then I'd lick them off. Amazing! 

Also, Big Wheels were awesome. The Little Bits (a cartoon). TGIF (Dinosaurs, Family Matters, etc.). Eating to my heart's content without gaining weight (wistful sigh). 

Lastly, THE BABY-SITTERS CLUB. I mean, was there any night better than one spent curled up in bed reading about Claudia's outfits, Stacey's sophistication, Kristy's bossiness, Mallory's huge family, Jessie's dancing, Mary Anne's shyness, and Dawn's California-ness? No, there really wasn't. 

Speaking of eating things off your fingers...did anyone else put whole black olives on their fingers? We used to do this and pretend we were ET (even though ET creeped me the fuck out as a kid)
  • Options
    Pepper6 said:
    ElcaB said:

Speaking of eating things off your fingers...did anyone else put whole black olives on their fingers? We used to do this and pretend we were ET (even though ET creeped me the fuck out as a kid)
    YES!!!! hahaha yes. And with raspberries. 

• Options
    Pepper6 said:
    ElcaB said:

My aunt and I used to do this with green olives and then we'd sing "I'd like to be, under the sea, in an octopus's garden, in the shade." 

It wasn't until like 5 years ago that I found out this was an ACTUAL (Beatles) song and not one that we had made up. Talk about mind = blown. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards