Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Breakfast for Wedding Reception (and Invitation Wording)

Hello All!

The main questions: A bountiful yet elegant continental breakfast: suitable for a small wedding reception?  What to serve? And how should I address this type of meal in the invitation?

My fiance and are newly engaged (wedding date: 18 October 2014) and coming up with plans for what to have at the reception. We plan to have both the ceremony and reception at his parents home, for budgeting reasons. (There will be about 40 guests at this wedding) I want to keep with English tradition (I am half English) and get married in the morning, with a wedding breakfast directly to follow. In order to make things simple, stay on budget and on time (and because the said home has limited kitchen space), I would like to have an elaborate continental breakfast served at the reception. This way the guests are well fed, but within budget and time restraints. The buffet would include (but would not be limited to) fresh cut fruit and fruit baskets, pastries, muffins, doughnuts, bagels, croissants, smoked salmon, cold ham, cheese, quiche, juices, coffee, tea, etc etc etc!

I would like to know everyone's opinion on such an idea, and would welcome any additional suggestions on what to serve, etc. Also, how would I word such a reception on my invitations?

Thank you!

Re: Breakfast for Wedding Reception (and Invitation Wording)

• Options

I'd avoid going too early (and remember you'll need to be up and moving a good bit before the "go" time), but aside from that I think it would be perfectly lovely.  I'm doing a brunch myself.  I'd also consider how long the ceremony is and whether tummies will be rumbling!!  I'm dong a 10:30 ceremony...I figure folks can get a light b-fast if they need something to tide them over (both hotels offer included b-fasts)

Do remember that any meal can get pricey if you add on too many things (I know smoked salmon/lox is darn pricey, as is fruit...though making it a fruit salad and using a lot of melon can help).  The doughnuts would feel a bit less fancy (I'm blanking on the words I want!), but the other items sound nice.

As for invite wording, I think something like "Breakfast reception to follow" would be fine.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with the above poster to not make it too early. I would say the earliest you could start the ceremony is 10:30.

If you want to do a traditional English phrasing for your invitations say "Wedding breakfast to follow"

I also agree that bagels and donuts would make it seem a little more casual. If you want to upscale it a bit for a low cost, maybe do a patisserie table with croissants, tart aux raisins, almond croissants, petit fours, baguettes, crumpets, scones etc

And if you truly want an English wedding, offer some marmite in addition to jam and butter :)

If you would like alcohol, I would also see if you could get some Bucks Fizz (I think Yanks call it mimosa).

Sounds like fun!
  • Options
    It sounds lovely
  • Options
    I agree with the above poster to not make it too early. I would say the earliest you could start the ceremony is 10:30.

If you want to do a traditional English phrasing for your invitations say "Wedding breakfast to follow"

I also agree that bagels and donuts would make it seem a little more casual. If you want to upscale it a bit for a low cost, maybe do a patisserie table with croissants, tart aux raisins, almond croissants, petit fours, baguettes, crumpets, scones etc

And if you truly want an English wedding, offer some marmite in addition to jam and butter :)

If you would like alcohol, I would also see if you could get some Bucks Fizz (I think Yanks call it mimosa).

Sounds like fun!
    Yes we do. Whatever you call it, it's a great suggestion!
  • Options
    Not too early and otherwise I think this sounds awesome.  I love breakfast.  Just make sure there's enough food.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    I LOVE brunch weddings. I'd start the ceremony no earlier than 10-10:30am. Then you can do your brunch reception immediately following. 

Since I don't know your budget, I'm going to throw a bunch of stuff out there:

- mimosa and bloody mary bar
    - fruit, bagel, scone, muffin station
    - staffed omelette station 
    - staffed waffle and pancake station (made to order with fun toppings)
    - fresh juice/smoothie bar
    - crepe station
    - eggs bene station (several options made to order, like classic, mediterranean, smoked salmon, etc.)

Ok since all this food sounds amazing right now, I must stop before I need a waffle.

ETA: I got so wrapped up in food, I forgot to answer your wording question. I would just work stuff as you normally would - people will see the time of day and "reception immediately following" and they'll get the idea. If you want, you could say "brunch reception immediately following"
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Fruit and berries, pancakes, waffles, maple syrup, yogurt, eggs done different ways, bacon, peameal/Canadian bacon, crepes, muffins, juice, coffee, tea, croissants, smoothies, English muffins, bagels (with different things to spread on them), toast (with jam, peanut butter, etc.).  That's all I can think of right now.
  • Options
    I think that sounds great! I would love to attend something like that. 
  • Options
    Depending on your area breakfast can be catered fairly inexpensively and I would recommend looking into it.  No matter what you should make sure that you hire someone (a team) to make sure everything is set up and kept stocked during the reception so your family can enjoy themselves.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards