Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Active Stations - How many?

I was very recently engaged but we're trying to pull off a wedding in 8 months so we are starting the planning full swing.

We are considering having stations at our reception instead of a plated meal, but aren't sure how many is typical for a wedding around 100 guests. Do you guys know what would be about right?
Also, what do you think a reasonable cost for something like this would be. Of course I know it will vary from location to location and type of food, but I just want to make sure the estimates we are getting are in the right ballpark.
We don't have a guest list set yet but it's looking like it will be around 100.

Re: Active Stations - How many?

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2013
    I was very recently engaged but we're trying to pull off a wedding in 8 months so we are starting the planning full swing.

We are considering having stations at our reception instead of a plated meal, but aren't sure how many is typical for a wedding around 100 guests. Do you guys know what would be about right?
    Also, what do you think a reasonable cost for something like this would be. Of course I know it will vary from location to location and type of food, but I just want to make sure the estimates we are getting are in the right ballpark.
    We don't have a guest list set yet but it's looking like it will be around 100.

I would say at least 4. 6 would be ideal for variety and to keep lines down.

2 entrees (Meat carving, Asian, Mexican, Seafood, etc)

2 side dishes (pasta, potatoes, risotto, etc)

I'd also say a salad bar and/or grilled/steamed veggies would be a necessity. And, of course, dessert.

ETA: Stations are expensive. I'd say $40-$60 per person in a mid-to-large sized city to have enough food for a full meal.

Plated or buffet dinners are much more inexpensive.

• Options
    ShellLillianShellLillian member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited September 2013
    That's very helpful thank you so much! That's the exact numbers my fiance threw out.

The first estimate we got came out to around $50 a person so I'm glad that seems to be about reasonable. We're in Orlando, FL, if that helps at all. We got a list of station ideas from the caterer we are currently looking at and there were tons that looked great. I was worried there wouldn't be enough tasty vegan options to keep the carnivores happy (we're both vegan), but I'm definitely not worried about that anymore if we choose to go with this company.

When we were talking she said a plated meal was about as much as stations, but the buffet dropped the cost down by nearly $1000.

Do you suggest a dessert station or the cake with perhaps some cupcakes or something else small? Just looking for ideas and suggestions.

Thanks so much for the help!
  • Options

As for dessert stations, a lot of people will do crepes. Or ice cream sundaes. I've even seen a trifle bar (you know, that awesome dessert with pudding, pound cake, fruit, etc?)

Of course, it's fine to just have wedding cake.

• Options
    Oh my God if I could get someone to pull of a vegan trifle bar I think I would cry.
    You've just given me a mission!

• Options
    We had a strolling dinner with stations. People could eat whenever they wanted, mingle and sit wherever they wanted.  We had 4 stations for 170 people (plus several passed apps) and there was never more than 3-4 people in line at each station. We also had additional passed apps at cocktail hour (45 min-1hr) so that may have meant people weren't as hungry or chomping at the bit to get in line for the stations. KWIM?

Talk to your caterer though - these styles of reception, although becoming more mainstream, vary greatly and you'll want to make sure they've done a lot of events like this. I think 4 stations for 100 people is plenty - even if you aren't doing passed apps. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    That's very helpful thank you so much! That's the exact numbers my fiance threw out.

The first estimate we got came out to around $50 a person so I'm glad that seems to be about reasonable. We're in Orlando, FL, if that helps at all. We got a list of station ideas from the caterer we are currently looking at and there were tons that looked great. I was worried there wouldn't be enough tasty vegan options to keep the carnivores happy (we're both vegan), but I'm definitely not worried about that anymore if we choose to go with this company.

When we were talking she said a plated meal was about as much as stations, but the buffet dropped the cost down by nearly $1000.

Do you suggest a dessert station or the cake with perhaps some cupcakes or something else small? Just looking for ideas and suggestions.

Thanks so much for the help!
    I would agree that stations aren't necessarily more expensive. For our event, we priced out buffet, stations, and plated and stations were overwhelmingly less $. I know this varies by geographic location and venues, but I think it is pretty safe to say you get more bang for your buck with stations and buffets. With a plated dinner, you are paying for one plate, whereas with buffet and stations you are paying for (potentially) multiple trips per person to the food areas. So even though stations or buffet might be more for you, consider the quantity you are getting.
  • Options
    We had a strolling dinner with stations. People could eat whenever they wanted, mingle and sit wherever they wanted.  We had 4 stations for 170 people (plus several passed apps) and there was never more than 3-4 people in line at each station. We also had additional passed apps at cocktail hour (45 min-1hr) so that may have meant people weren't as hungry or chomping at the bit to get in line for the stations. KWIM?

Talk to your caterer though - these styles of reception, although becoming more mainstream, vary greatly and you'll want to make sure they've done a lot of events like this. I think 4 stations for 100 people is plenty - even if you aren't doing passed apps. 
    This caterer in particular has an extensive list of station options and it seems like it's something they've done many times before.

Do you think 4 stations plus perhaps a couple small/light passed apps during the cocktail hour would work well?

• Options

This caterer in particular has an extensive list of station options and it seems like it's something they've done many times before.

Do you think 4 stations plus perhaps a couple small/light passed apps during the cocktail hour would work well?

Everything would depend on the types of stations you select, and the diversity of food options. Also, the ease of preparation. You can ask your caterer how much "time per guest" whatever is served at the station takes to prepare. This will help keep lines down.

• Options

Have you asked your caterer how many stations they would recommend for your number of guests? That's probably the easiest way to answer this question.

Personally, I think it really depends on the complexity of each station. For example, a station might consist of a mashed potato bar with some toppings. If all of the stations are like that (being that they offer one thing with some variated toppings or sauces) then I would suggest having 5-6 of them (spaced evenly amongst entrees, sides, and veg). However, a station might be more like a mini-buffet that consists of multiple things with a similar theme - I've seen Italian stations before that involve polenta with sausage, broccoli rabe, some sort of fish, and another veg. If that's the case, then I think 3 would be more than enough.
  • Options
    All I've had so far is a quick phone meeting with the caterer, but we are probably going to plan a more in depth meeting with the chef. I'll definitely ask then, but I wanted to have an idea ahead of time so I know what they are saying is about reasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards