May 2014 Weddings

New May bride!! =) color dilemma

Hi everyone! I'm new here, our date is May 17th. we got engaged Labor Day weekend. I've got the dress, the venue, food, cake and flowers all set up, though I'm having a situation with my colors. I've chosen to not pick any color specifically. Shades of white, and vintage-y colors any color goes... so long as its pale(as to keep them understated so the whites take center stage) though my two maids are not taking this well, they want me to tell them exactly what to buy, but I told them to pick out a pale colored sundress and no heels (due to our outdoor venue), on their own time and at their own budget.  How else can I get this point across?

Lissa 5.17.14

Re: New May bride!! =) color dilemma

• Try to use terms they can take to a store: blush for a pinky-tone, daffodil for a yellow-tone, mint for a green-tone, lavender for purple-tone, sky for blue-tone. You could also suggest gray.

Have you thought about starting a special board on pinterest? It could be just for the three of you for ideas.

Good Luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Is there any way you could go shopping with them? Also, this time of year isn't exactly a great time to buy a sundress so they may be lost because there isn't anything in the stores right now that fits that description.
  • I must admit, I'd probably be a little frustrated as well. I didn't tell my girls to pick their own dresses because I have 12 maids and it would just be a mess if I did that. However, I told them to pick their own silver shoes so long as they were formal. I shopped around Nordstrom, Macys, Lulus, even Forever 21 websites and gave them about 6 options to choose from. They didn't have to buy any of those but if they wanted some guidance, they would be safe with those. I included lower and higher end shoes in that list so they could choose.
  • Congratulations date twin!  Yay for 5/17! :)

I used paint swatches to give my girls an idea of the colors I was thinking.  It was really helpful because there are usually 3 shades to a swatch so it gives them some variety, and as far as paint colors, the possibilities are endless.  If you see a couple of colors you like, you can just take them from the store - they're free.  Try a Lowe's or a Home Depot.  I think it will help!
  • I like the idea of using paint swatches - genius!!!  I actually just used them in my art classroom to show how to make tints/shads when teaching the color wheel lol, but did not think of using them for dress colors.
    Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have my bridesmaids in navy (easy peasy!) and they've all asked me to "approve" their dress or help them shop too.  It may not be that they don't know what you mean; they may just be nervous that they'll pick something you don't like or don't think is appropriate for your wedding.  It sounds easy to "just go get a dress", I know, but....it might be helpful to give more input so that everyone's happy.  Maybe go with them to dress-shop anyway, it could be nice to have quality time with them while you all prepare for your wedding!
  • The swatches work wonders when you're trying to coordinate different shades.  We ended up picking dresses that were all the same color and style (which is the opposite of my original plan to dress everyone in a completely different dress), but my photographer did this and her dresses were SO WELL COORDINATED.  They were all completely different, but all different vintage/antique hues and they looked amazing.   And I agree with ark155, if you can find the time to go with each girl, I think it would be more fun for both of you.  It's a good bonding experience and it can help you stick to the overall vision :)
  • We actually found a paint swatch online (I literally googled "green paint swatch") and I'm sending that to people. We want everything in one of two shades of the same green, and that's making it easier. I also have the swatch saved on my phone so whenever I meet with a vendor I don't need to worry about forgetting it. Our other color is silver and I found an image of that as well.
  • Awesome!  I'm glad the swatch suggestion worked.  You'll have to show us when the girls start finding their dresses.
  • i would be frustrated if i was a bridesmaid in this situation too.and it could end up a little chaotic looking.i madeit very simple for my girls i picked their dress and color.bam done..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards